Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE

Comments

• Reply 61 of 188
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I challenge the claim that there will be multiple versions that are carrier specific, in addition to an international version with downgraded tech.

This is not how Apple rolls.

They finally got the iPhone 4S to be a universal phone, why would they switch gears on the iPad?
  • Reply 62 of 188
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Yep yep. Apple is going to intentionally going to keep the storage low in order to get people to sign up for iCloud.
  • Reply 63 of 188
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Bullshit. I owned a 16GB iPad2 and never did I feel squeezed for space. Everyone's usage varies. You're someone who posts on an apple fan-site message-board, so obviously you're not a typical user. Believe it or not, most people who buy an iPad will probably still be satisfied with 16GB considering what they use it for. Try not to be so short-sighted as to impose your own requirements on everyone else then claim it's 'crippled' and can't be used 'for shit'. You don't represent everyone, and your particular usage is irrelevant.

They probably will still start at 16GB.

Oh wait, you're that matte screen fanatic that has a permanent, irrational hateful grudge against Apple cause you don't get your way. Why did I even respond.

If you don't use the amount of storage provided on the low-end model that's certainly fine, but why would you get mad at him for wanting more storage for the same price? That's a win for the consumer any way you slice it. And, to a degree, he's probably right that more storage will be needed because the apps will likely be larger.
  • Reply 64 of 188
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Could it be that the following is real -- but destined for the AppleTV 3?

No chance. Even if the changed up the casing that would take the elongated board that matches that of the iPad it has no port interfaces.
  • Reply 65 of 188
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the OP was referring to the CPU, but even if he did mean the GPU the double density display will likely cause the iPad 3's frame rates to be lower than the iPad 2 just as we saw the iPhone 4's frame rates turn out to be lower than the iPhone 3GS.

I wonder if that needs to be true. Certainly if the GPU generates every frame it is the bottleneck...

In a later post I ask if more RAM and different processing, SIMD, could be used to generate 'tween frames -- offloading work from the GPU, and attaining a higher FPS. IDK!
  • Reply 66 of 188
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

They finally got the iPhone 4S to be a universal phone, why would they switch gears on the iPad?

It's still locked to each carrier and other carriers are rendered inoperable thereafter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Yep yep. Apple is going to intentionally going to keep the storage low in order to get people to sign up for iCloud.

Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 67 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm sure. I'm not saying that Apple will or should not increase local storage. I'm just saying I don't think that storing lots of music locally on the device is a high priority for Apple or most people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Why not? I have the space. I listen to my music mostly in my car or when traveling. I like being able to pull up any song in my library at a moment's notice.

• Reply 68 of 188
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Why? Everyone will tune in at the same moment in time.

Because I don't have to wait as long after waking up. I will still be sipping coffee when the show starts where as the east coasters will be eating lunch and the our friends in Tokyo will have to get up in the middle of the night.
  • Reply 69 of 188
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

I'm expecting it to be an A5X chip because its only a bumped up ipad2 with better everything. Its real likely that it is going to be called ipad HD also. The real ipad3 is going to have a new design shell and A6 for sure and big OS upgrade to take advantage of those 4 cores

You forgot to add a D to the end of your 3......... just saying
  • Reply 70 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm sure. I'm not saying that Apple will or should not increase local storage. I'm just saying I don't think that storing lots of music locally on the device is a high priority for Apple or most people.

3GB for $30 makes it the highest priority imaginable.
  • Reply 71 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder if that needs to be true. Certainly if the GPU generates every frame it is the bottleneck...

In a later post I ask if more RAM and different processing, SIMD, could be used to generate 'tween frames -- offloading work from the GPU, and attaining a higher FPS. IDK!

No, it doesn't need to be true, but with the typical upsaling of HW it typically is because it needs to be cost effective and power efficient more than it needs to have as much or more frame rates for games as the previous model with 1/4 the pixels.
  • Reply 72 of 188
    That's wrong wrong. The iPad is still a toy. You can't even upload to content management web sites. It doesn't support attaching within ISO 5 Safari so it falls way short on "flexibility".

>The air 4 years ago had 60gb standard and arguably the iPad is now much more versatile >than the air,
  • Reply 73 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prattmeyer View Post

The iPad is still a toy.

"Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Trolluman?"
  • Reply 74 of 188
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The only real benefit of quad core processors. Is if the applications or the OS can really make use of all of four cores at any one particular time. Otherwise its over kill for the sake of marketing.

So true. There are few apps that can even make full use of the quad-core chip in my MBP. The only real benefit (for the vast majority of people) is if you have several processor intensive apps running simultaneously. And that's just simply not the usage model for iOS devices.
  • Reply 75 of 188
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Bullshit. I owned a 16GB iPad2 and never did I feel squeezed for space. Everyone's usage varies. You're someone who posts on an apple fan-site message-board, so obviously you're not a typical user. Believe it or not, most people who buy an iPad will probably still be satisfied with 16GB considering what they use it for. Try not to be so short-sighted as to impose your own requirements on everyone else then claim it's 'crippled' and can't be used 'for shit'. You don't represent everyone, and your particular usage is irrelevant.

They probably will still start at 16GB.

Oh wait, you're that matte screen fanatic that has a permanent, irrational hateful grudge against Apple cause you don't get your way. Why did I even respond.

Yeah I am the only one taking issue with 16gs of storage, and rhe level of arguments you put forth...I ve had enough with your bs replies, welcome to my ignore list, you are in good company of like minds.
  • Reply 76 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prattmeyer View Post

That's wrong wrong. The iPad is still a toy. You can't even upload to content management web sites. It doesn't support attaching within ISO 5 Safari so it falls way short on "flexibility".

So cherry picking an item something can't do makes it a toy? Obvious guy says: you can do that with everything!

(I need a generic Obvious Guy image that I can type in. It would be nice to have a website add the text to an image instantly for this application.)
  • Reply 77 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Agreed. As we know though if Apple does not introduce a quad core iPad tomorrow there will be much consternation. Regardless of the reality of quad core performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So true. There are few apps that can even make full use of the quad-core chip in my MBP. The only real benefit (for the vast majority of people) is if you have several processor intensive apps running simultaneously. And that's just simply not the usage model for iOS devices.

• Reply 78 of 188
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaosbringer View Post

Only 3G interanationally??? WTF??? Seriously Apple???

Seriously. Could you explain WTF you are complaining about???
  • Reply 79 of 188
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    I Can live with a faster clock A5 and better CPU. I know tegra 3 quadcore sucks that's why I wanted apple to do it because they will do it right. Photoshop touch is iPad 2 only because it is dual core and IMHO to get productivity desktop apps to the iPad it has to be quad core. Since I'm buying this iPad for he next 2 years it will mean that iPhone 5 and iPad 4 will be the ones that can truly run any desktop app in the future. Hope I'm wrong...
  • Reply 80 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah I am the only one taking issue with 16gs of storage, and rhe level of arguments you put forth...I ve had enough with your bs replies, welcome to my ignore list, you are in good company of like minds.

If you have an issue with 16GB storage they have 2 other capacities that are designed to those very needs. But that isn't quite it, is it.

Please correct if I'm wrong but it sounds like you have a problem with 16GB for the $499 price but aren't considering how the rest of the upgrades could be costly, how they are more important to Apple to focus on because they are more important to the average consumer, and many other possibilities.

Have you considered the cost of the Retina Display component, its R&D, the associated other components to make it all work well? If those aren't important to you have you considered a refurbished or used iPad 2 with more storage which will be had at a cheaper price?