Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to feature 'never before seen touch technology'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL is up $5 premarket and within $75 of GOOG... Could be a good day!

Apple is already well ahead of google and has npbeen for years and years.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I heard the new iPad is going to have a special tin-foil backing that will allow you to get text messages from the alien moon-base.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see a problem. I think the adverb highly is a bit much but I don't think it's incorrect.

A rumour cannot properly be "ambitious."
  • Reply 84 of 129
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If this rumor turned out to be true, then I can see Android tablets coming out with something similar, but vastly inferior in 6 months time.

Pathetic Fandroids all over the net will proceed to claim that this feature is so obvious and it's only natural that everybody eventually include it, just like a rectangle or a square.

The rumor would make sense based on the wording of Apple's invitation. The super new hi-res screen is to see and the new touch surface is to touch.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not if you keep hurting its self esteem. But seriously, I think it's fine for a news article. Nothing wrong with some colourful word play. I don't think the meaning was unclear and that's the important measure in all communication.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akaneo View Post

This sounds like a rumor we'll be hearing for the next year or 2, maybe until the ipad 4 or 5.

Yes. Unless it's actually true and happens today, people will be dragging this thing up every time a new iOS product comes out.

Personally, I think this technique would have to border on miraculous to even be of interest to me. I am skeptical that it's even possible at this point. It would have to have ridiculous fidelity and speed to be truly useful.

Here's hoping if they do include it, that it isn't just a gimmick like 3D or something. Once Apple goes down that route it's really the beginning of the end.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple is already well ahead of google and has npbeen for years and years.

You got that right.
  • Reply 88 of 129
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Last hours to get your rumors about the new iPad. I would like to start the rumor that it will have a foldable screen, projector, and include an intel chip so it can run Windows 8. Also, it will have a phone and be renamed iPhone XL.

Don't be silly...it'll be iPhone HD XL. You aren't keeping up on the rumors!

I wonder just how precise/sensitive such a technology could be. Braille might be a bit much to ask for. But it could be used to simulate the "click" of a real button, in place of the audible "tick,tick" sound it makes now as you are typing on the onscreen keyboard. It could allow you to not have to lift your finger completely off the screen as you move between keys, and though the tactile feedback you'd learn just how "hard" you have to press for the keystroke to register. (it'd have to have a pretty fast response time for this)

It could also be used for games where you have to pick up an object or move a widget into a bin, etc. Instead of a visible highlight on the screen to let you know when you crossed a boundry (ie, you are over the item/bin), it could be physical feedback.

Or how about being able to feel where the onscreen playback controls are so you can control your music without looking at the screen.

I'd be surprised if it could be used for precise controls, but something like the ridges you feel on a old-school iPod's click-wheel to know where you are on the controls should be possible.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If this rumor turned out to be true, then I can see Android tablets coming out with something similar, but vastly inferior in 6 months time.

Pathetic Fandroids all over the net will proceed to claim that this feature is so obvious and it's only natural that everybody eventually include it, just like a rectangle or a square.

The rumor would make sense based on the wording of Apple's invitation. The super new hi-res screen is to see and the new touch surface is to touch.

You did know this technology has been available for some time now, and the maker has showed it numerous times and were talking to parties to get it included on an actual product.

So it's a general technology, available to everyone (until a company pays for an exclusive license).
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:

Not if you can't hurting its self esteem. But seriously, I think it's fine for a news article. Nothing wrong with some colourful word play.

I didn't even notice it when I read the article.

I think they were trying to capture the "out on a limb" kind of guesswork of the original source where the fellow explicitly says that he is making a sort of wild guess about the technology being included. *He* was being ambitious.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Sure, but technically speaking a hope can't be "high," nor a pattern on a sports jacket "loud," yet the combining of incommensurate words is often precisely what adds depth to a description. It's an unusual pairing of adjective and noun, but that doesn't make it incorrect. More, if I said, "his jacket was...ambitious," and you saw that the pattern on it was pink plaid with patches of bag pipes and hello kitty, you probably wouldn't quibble with the grammar. Jacket's can't be ambitious, but the statement is more meaningful precisely for how the combination makes your mind stretch. Exaggeration and humor are two aspects of language that make use of incommensurate concepts.

I'm a writer, and I approve this message. Strunk and White, however, might not approve.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

You did know this technology has been available for some time now, and the maker has showed it numerous times and were talking to parties to get it included on an actual product.

So it's a general technology, available to everyone (until a company pays for an exclusive license).

Yes, I do know that a third party is behind it and not Apple, but if Apple were to use it then you can be sure that Apple would demand some kind of exclusive deal, barring anybody else from using the same exact thing.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Sure, but technically speaking a hope can't be "high," nor a pattern on a sports jacket "loud," yet the combining of incommensurate words is often precisely what adds depth to a description. It's an unusual pairing of adjective and noun, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

I'm a writer, and I approve this message. Strunk and White, however, might not approve.

Ahhh... What about " hot pants" .
  • Reply 94 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I didn't even notice it when I read the article.

I think they were trying to capture the "out on a limb" kind of guesswork of the original source where the fellow explicitly says that he is making a sort of wild guess about the technology being included. *He* was being ambitious.

I don't mean to bad mouth you but you're breaking my heart. (No coffee yet so that sentence is a lot less elaborate than I think I could otherwise muster).

I'm not sure about other languages but English has a lot of idioms that make no sense when you dissect their parts, but are perfectly understood and, in fact, reinforce meanings because they are so well understood. True, the term used is not an idiom but all forms of expression have to start somewhere.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    I want to be able to "touch" a refreshed Mac Pro.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahhh... What about " hot pants" .

Who's wearing them?
  • Reply 97 of 129
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

But if true it will still be a case of Apple leading getting this into the mainstream and everyone else following while bleating about how obvious it was and that they're not copying Apple. Again.
  • Reply 98 of 129
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I don't mean to bad mouth you but you're breaking my heart. (No coffee yet so that sentence is a lot less elaborate than I think I could otherwise muster).

I'm not sure about other languages but English has a lot of idioms that make no sense when you dissect their parts, but are perfectly understood and, in fact, reinforce meanings because they are so well understood. True, the term used is not an idiom but all forms of expression have to start somewhere.

Ella lleva dos caras!
  • Reply 99 of 129
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Yes. Unless it's actually true and happens today, people will be dragging this thing up every time a new iOS product comes out.

Personally, I think this technique would have to border on miraculous to even be of interest to me. I am skeptical that it's even possible at this point. It would have to have ridiculous fidelity and speed to be truly useful.

Here's hoping if they do include it, that it isn't just a gimmick like 3D or something. Once Apple goes down that route it's really the beginning of the end.

If it works and shows up, it sounds really cool. You rarely would be dragging your finger over the edge of a button on iOS, so raised buttons don't sound meaningful at least from how it's described, but more interactive applications would benefit.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

If it works well I am not sure 'truly useful' matters. It may just be that living without it will be unthinkable once you are used to it. If it makes your Interactions with your iPad more intimate, for lack of a better word, it may be another game changer.