Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 161 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

3D can only be done two ways:

Parallax buffer - Which requires doubling the linear resolution (eg 2048 to 4096), glasses-free. This is what the Nintendo 3DS does. In theory Apple could put that filter into the HD display and get a half resolution 3D effect. But only in landscape mode.

Frame rate doubled - Which requires 3D glasses to show each frame to separate eyes. This is the cheaper way of doing it, but people don't like 3D glasses. It can be done as shutters, polarizing or other effects.

This is why it's a gimmick, is that it can't be done well. Apple won't put that tech into the iPhone or iPad until it can be done without 3D glasses, which means that a substantial leap in LCD panel technology is needed.

It's also currently a chicken and egg problem, there is almost no 3D consumer production equipment. There are a few first-generation 3D consumer video cameras, but right now they produce terrible 3D, just like half the 3D films out there. 3D isn't being done right now unless it's a 3D animated film. If you play around with the Nintendo store, there is like exactly one 3D film in the store. "The night of the living carrots" (A Aliens versus Monsters Halloween special) and "The Pig who cried Werewolf" (A Shrek Halloween special") for 2.00 each. If you watch these on netflix you'll notice these are part of the same movie.

So, no content, no reason.

Thanks for the reply. Instead of just calling me a troll or saying 3D is dumb, you gave a very valid explanation and I appreciate that.
  • Reply 162 of 445
    iPad 2S, yawn.
  • Reply 163 of 445
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

But not according to this review...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...laxy-tab_n.htm

Trust Anandtech before USA today.

Anandtech found 4G battery life to be 8.53 EVDO and 7.55 LTE hours.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4605/s...g-lte-review/3

That was with the display "set to never turn off/dim, auto brightness is disabled and screen brightness is calibrated to 200 nits." Certainly not the most battery-saving measures.
  • Reply 164 of 445
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Last time I checked, I can have an ipad pretty much any place they sell it. What do you mean they can't keep it on store shelves? Where do you live that you have this problem? Come to northern VA, they're everywhere.

"This is just dumb." is a dumb retort. At least give me something to go on rather than your opinion of what's dumb and what isn't. The studios getting behind 3D, that's dumb? The tablet having a single person viewing and a single viewing angle, and now a high resolution, making the potential 3D experience better than that of a TV, that's dumb? Again, what is wrong with you?

Seriously? Do you not know how this works? If they are on store shelves (except for perhaps the Apple Store), they are sold. Best Buy / Walmart / Target buys the iPad from Apple and then they mark it up and sell to the consumer. When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books.

And go try to find yourself a new iPad and March 18th and come back here. If the shelves are full of them, then you are absolutely right and the smartest man alive. If not, well....
  • Reply 165 of 445
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Last time I checked, I can have an ipad pretty much any place they sell it. What do you mean they can't keep it on store shelves? Where do you live that you have this problem? Come to northern VA, they're everywhere.

"This is just dumb." is a dumb retort. At least give me something to go on rather than your opinion of what's dumb and what isn't. The studios getting behind 3D, that's dumb? The tablet having a single person viewing and a single viewing angle, and now a high resolution, making the potential 3D experience better than that of a TV, that's dumb? Again, what is wrong with you?

Uh . . . it's the iPad.

Look at Apple's quarters for the past several years, particularly the recent 2-3 quarters. That might give you a clue about why Apple doesn't need to lower prices in order to a) experience record sales, and b) continue to embarrass the competition.
  • Reply 166 of 445
    thehectathehecta Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

iPad 2S, yawn.

what were the features that you wanted that would make you want to buy it?
  • Reply 167 of 445
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Seriously? Do you not know how this works? If they are on store shelves (except for perhaps the Apple Store), they are sold. Best Buy / Walmart / Target buys the iPad from Apple and then they mark it up and sell to the consumer. When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books.

Ah, a forum member who gets it
  • Reply 168 of 445
    thehectathehecta Posts: 77member
    The keynote is now available to watch on the iPad page on Apple's website
  • Reply 169 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

1920*1200 = 2304000

ipad = 3145728

36%

Yeah, my estimation was very rough. But 36% or about 850k more pixels still drives home the point that this display has a lot more pixels than a 1900x1200 display.

edit: I get a 38% difference.
  • Reply 170 of 445
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

1920*1200 = 2304000

ipad = 3145728

36%

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.
  • Reply 171 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I think Eddie Cue lost the keys to the Apple Store
  • Reply 172 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And now we return to my original question, "Are there other devices that allow for 9 hours of LTE?" And since you've given none, your point is clear. Next, indeed.

Your question is irrelevant. LTE as a technology is still bad on battery period. It doesn't matter what the competition or anyone else is doing. Look it's great Apple continues to set the bar, but Apple doesn't deserve a pat on the back for getting to 9hrs because they used a 42.5w battery. And if your question is really 'devices', the RAZR MAXX (phone) certainly does it on LTE. Apple didn't do anything magical, they just put enough battery to hit the 9hr number they already established (on their tests...I'll wait for real world but should be close.)

This is what you waste your time nitpicking on in this thread? Same team man, Have you bothered to read the rest of this circus in here?
  • Reply 173 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Since the iPad is now making strides into the corporate world I would really like it to become more like OSX, and get away from this oversized phone OS that they keep pushing. It needs to be more customizable, access to the filesystem, Java runtime, external storage, multiple accounts or at least an Administrator account, full access to the terminal and so on.
  • Reply 174 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Aaah, okay that makes sense, so Apple is saying what is and isn't good for us. Even though I have never had a malware or virus in the last ten years of owning Apple products. Pretty lame Apple!

You've owned Apple products for 10 years, and just figured out that Apple says "...what is and isn't good for us?"
  • Reply 175 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The original comment was against tablets shipping with 1900x1200 displays.
  • Reply 176 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

And go try to find yourself a new iPad and March 18th and come back here. If the shelves are full of them, then you are absolutely right and the smartest man alive. If not, well....

Seriously, is 'being a complete shithead to random strangers' a requirement to be a fan of Apple products or something?

Why is it one asshole after another responds to me like they are some delicate genius and I'm just some moron who doesn't get it?

The comment I was responding to was along the lines of "they can't keep them on the shelves." Grow up, learn some fucking manners. You could have easily responded to me and made your IRRELEVANT point without the snobbish douchbaggery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Uh . . . it's the iPad.

Look at Apple's quarters for the past several years, particularly the recent 2-3 quarters. That might give you a clue about why Apple doesn't need to lower prices in order to a) experience record sales, and b) continue to embarrass the competition.

Great, good for them. A lower price is still something people are ALLOWED to hope for, right?

You people are literally insane. Go remove that giant stick from your ass.

I'm done here. There's no conversation to be had on Apple products here unless you're absolutely praising them. Can't possibly ever post what you hoped to see, no no. Your hopes are determined by what Apple tells you! YAY SHEEPLE!
  • Reply 177 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...didn't state his wishes as demands or claim Apple was doomed or such nonsense.

Sometimes it is implied.
  • Reply 178 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Who cares both resolutions are incredible, geesh I think anything 720p and above is amazing on 10 inch screen.
  • Reply 179 of 445
    Quote:

When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books..

Not necessarily. It is "shipped" for sure, but whether it is "sold" or not (at the end of the year) will depend on Apple's terms for returns with the retailer.
  • Reply 180 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You've owned Apple products for 10 years, and just figured out that Apple says "...what is and isn't good for us?"

Yea really, no its really just their mobile stuff that is closed tighter then a dolphins button. I have never seen such a closed OS and ecosystem that did so well, Microsoft is defiantly jealous.