iCloud now supports downloads of "most" iTunes movies, apart from Fox, Universal

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

Apple's iTunes support for downloading previous purchases from iCloud has expanded into movies, although two studios, Fox and Universal, are still working to resolve an exclusive contractual obligation with HBO.

Apple debuted the ability to download previous purchases via iCloud for TV shows, apps and books. The company now notes in iTunes that "most movies" can also be downloaded to all of your devices "no matter what device you bought it on."

A report by Wall Street Journal blogger Peter Kafka for All Things D notes that of the six major movie studios, "News Corp.’s Fox and Comcast’s Universal aren’t in, because they have pre-existing deals with Time Warner’s HBO that give the pay-TV service exclusive 'windows.'”

Kafka added "that should get sorted out eventually," citing HBO spokesman Jeff Cusson as saying, “With every technological enhancement, we have always been able to find common ground with our studio partners, and we’re sure that will be the result here.”

From iTunes, users can now download movie purchases made dating back to the opening of the iTunes Movie Store, from most major studios and a variety of independents, including short films.

The second generation Apple TV running at least software 4.3 can already download previous purchases of movies in addition to the previous TV Shows option, although Apple has now made a new software update for Apple TV available.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    That "minor contractual dispute" means that about 30% of the movies I paid for are not available.

Way to go studios. Haven't we talked before about screwing over the customers who are actually willing to pay for content???
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    I was hoping with movies in the cloud this would pretty much be the death of ultraviolet.

I guess since this the movie is technically streamed/downloaded from the cloud that is the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The quicker ultraviolet dies the better.

I long for the day that my movies will be matched like the music. All my DVDs upgraded to 1080p for free with iTunes movie match. Oh... Dreams (studios would likely never allow it). I'd gladly pay $100 for it
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The quicker ultraviolet dies the better.

I long for the day that my movies will be matched like the music. All my DVDs upgraded to 1080p for free with iTunes movie match. Oh... Dreams (studios would likely never allow it). I'd gladly pay $100 for it

I think bandwidth issues might play a role too, which even in dream form would likely severely limit uploading of movies that can't be matched.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Only 10 of my 23 digital copies show up in purchased; the rest are Fox and Universal titles. And since all digital copies are SD, why not an option to upgrade to HD like they did with iTunes Plus?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Yes the upgrade would b nice for SD & 720p HD versions as well. Hope they're considering these options.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    joggelijoggeli Posts: 1member
    Probably a US-only thing. \

At least in Switzerland there is nothing...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joggeli View Post

Probably a US-only thing. \

At least in Switzerland there is nothing...

There's nothing in the UK, either.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

That "minor contractual dispute" means that about 30% of the movies I paid for are not available.

I think that you meant to say that 70% of the films you purchased at 720P, knowing that you would not be able to redownload them, are suddenly available at 1080P and are redownloadable at no additional cost, right?

Quote:

Way to go studios. Haven't we talked before about screwing over the customers who are actually willing to pay for content???

Again to be clear, you were willing to purchase movies under a set of terms that have suddenly gotten much better at no additional cost to you and you are arguing that you are being screwed because two studios have existing deals that have not yet been renegotiated to also expand your rights? Did I miss something?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Only 10 of my 23 digital copies show up in purchased; the rest are Fox and Universal titles. And since all digital copies are SD, why not an option to upgrade to HD like they did with iTunes Plus?

All the universal titles I have did not show up, now I understand the newest releases but I have digital copies of all Jurrassic Park, Back to future, and the Bourne Trilogy.

Surely HBO is not still showing all of these movies and holding this up.

For some reason also 2 of the Warner Bros movies did not show up either.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

And since all digital copies are SD, why not an option to upgrade to HD like they did with iTunes Plus?

Ask the Studios