AppleCare+ for iPad offers 2 years of coverage for $99

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

New iPad buyers can now opt for two years of coverage for their iPad, including repairs and technical support, for $99 with AppleCare+.

"Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support," the official product description reads. "AppleCare+ for iPad gives you two years of repair coverage and technical support from the original purchase date of your iPad. And it adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling for your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee."

AppleCare+ owners can receive help for their product past the 90-day warranty period over the phone, at an Apple Retail Store, or at other Apple AUthorized Service providers. Coverage relates to topics including iOS, iCloud, wireless connectivity, FaceTime, iBooks, Keynote, Numbers, Pages and other Apple-branded iPad applications.

Customers who purchase AppleCare+ together with their new iPad will be automatically registered. The coverage includes mail-in repair with a shipping box provided by Apple, and carry-in repair at a retail location.

The extended warranty covers the iPad, its internal battery, the USB cable and power adapter that ships with it, and a Time Capsule or AirPort device. Customers also receive coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of the iPad, and each are subject to a $49 service fee.

Word of an AppleCare+ plan for iPad first surfaced before Wednesday's event. It has replaced the previous standard $79 standard AppleCare package.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Will 2-year coverage be included in the price in Italy?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Key question, can you purchase this before the original year is up like in the past w/Applecare?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Two years makes some sense for a phone, but I would hope average lifetimes for iPads are longer than for phones. I think AppleCare should be three years, just like with Macs, though the two incident limit is fine.

Two years is just not worth it to me. I don't break my Apple stuff very often, in fact, ever. Not even the phone. My original iPhone was stolen, but theft is not covered.

What I really want is three year coverage, to match my expected buying cycle.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

Key question, can you purchase this before the original year is up like in the past w/Applecare?

With AppleCare+ you have 30 days, but I'm not even sure that was official. Best to just order it when you buy the product.

edit:
    Quote:

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

• Reply 5 of 9
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Totally worth it. I cracked the display on an iPad 2 which was under the old AppleCare and it cost $450 and change to get it swapped.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I prefer Squaretrade. Price is normally around $70 after coupons for a 2-year warranty and there's no deductible.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    For AppleCare+ coverage, either on iphone or ipad, what happens if you purchase the service on the highest capacity device (64gb), and decide to get a new device as you get close to the 2year mark for $50, and Apple no longer carries that model in that capacity?

Apple seems to limit the capacity of the current model, after it becomes 'obsolete' when a new model comes out. For instance, I have an iphone 4s 64gb. In October 2012, they release an iphone 5, that is also capped at 64gb, since they are unlikely to bump up to 128gb so soon. At the same time, they start selling the iphone 4 16gb, and iphone 4s 32gb, as the 'cheap' models. Would Apple be inclined to make a special iphone 4s 64gb to replace mine, or just give me an iphone 5 64gb since they would be more prevalent nearly 2 years later?

Just a thought....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

For AppleCare+ coverage, either on iphone or ipad, what happens if you purchase the service on the highest capacity device (64gb), and decide to get a new device as you get close to the 2year mark for $50, and Apple no longer carries that model in that capacity?

Apple seems to limit the capacity of the current model, after it becomes 'obsolete' when a new model comes out. For instance, I have an iphone 4s 64gb. In October 2012, they release an iphone 5, that is also capped at 64gb, since they are unlikely to bump up to 128gb so soon. At the same time, they start selling the iphone 4 16gb, and iphone 4s 32gb, as the 'cheap' models. Would Apple be inclined to make a special iphone 4s 64gb to replace mine, or just give me an iphone 5 64gb since they would be more prevalent nearly 2 years later?

Just a thought....

No, they would replace it with a refurb 4S 64G... most likely for a few more years.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    My credit card covers an additional year for free. When the 2 years coverage is up, I can purchase additional years for less than the cost of Apple Care.