Apple releases new software for existing iOS-based Apple TV users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014


Apple has released a free software update for second generation Apple TV users, bringing the revised new interface demonstrated for the new, third generation Apple TV.



The new update replaces the main horizontal menu with five app-like buttons: Movies and TV Shows (for buying and renting content), Music (for accessing content from iTunes Match), Computers (for connecting to local iTunes libraries via Home Sharing) and Settings (which brings up the standard configuration menus from before).

























The new interface also brings app-like features formerly hidden in menus to a Home screen page familiar to iOS users, listing Netflix, MLB, NBA, NHL, Apple's movie Trailers app, Wall Street Journal Live, YouTube, Vimeo, Podcasts, Internet Radio, iCloud Photo Stream, the MobileMe Gallery viewer, and Flickr.









The new layout more strongly suggests the potential for a third party App Store for Apple TV, something other "smart TV" vendors have already launched (although there aren't very many killer apps for TVs that have yet appeared, outside of those Apple already bundles.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13

Comments

  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,470member
    Looks a lot like my idea for the Apple TV interface, but, you know, with that completely idiotic top bar in the way.



    I still think they should go with mine.
  • maury markowitzmaury markowitz Posts: 289member
    Has anyone upgraded yet?



    There's some comments on other forums that the content is all either SD or 1080p already. I find this hard to believe, but I'd still like confirmation.
  • dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Nice, looking forward to getting home and updating.



    I like the New 1080p Netflix also.
  • alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    did they update the Remote App for iPad too to work the same way?
  • cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I'm shocked that there's still no app store for AppleTV
  • originalgoriginalg Posts: 369member
    Just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me about the ATV2 and the NBA app in Canada. I have an NBA League Pass login that works through their website and iphone app. In Canada the NBA app is hidden, but if you choose United States as the location in the iTunes setting, it'll show. When I try to log in to the NBA App, it won't work. Is the login really location based? I really hope this will be available in this update
  • waldobushmanwaldobushman Posts: 774member
    For both the Apple TV and iPad2, Apple seems to have run out of connections to their servers for the iOS 5.1 update. I keep getting "cannot connect" messages
  • christophbchristophb Posts: 1,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post


    For both the Apple TV and iPad2, Apple seems to have run out of connections to their servers for the iOS 5.1 update. I keep getting "cannot connect" messages



    http://ios.e-lite.org



    You'll have to do a restore with those images though.
  • kazkamkazkam Posts: 60member
    Anyone know if they added an iTunes-style visualizer as a screensaver option for when you're listening to music through the ATV? Still seems like a no-brainier.



    I am also frustrated by the top level UI... same problems as the last one IMO. The top bar is obnoxiously large and not very useful.



    Also, for someone like me who primarily uses the ATV as a player for my main iTunes library, the top level titles of "Movies" and "Music" are misleading. I propose that the "Computers/Home Sharing" option be removed, and instead, movies and music from your home shared iTunes library show up under the "Movies" and "Music" menus, and from there you chose "iTunes Match/iCloud" or "Home Library" as the source for music.



    I still don't buy into this "all my stuff in the cloud" crap. I don't think the broadband infrastructure, in the US at least, is capable, dependable, or even available enough to support that method for the majority of users. Seems extremely inefficient to chomp up bandwidth to re-download or stream content that's already sitting on my computer on my home network, especially now that 1080p is in the picture.



    Maybe I'm in the minority, IDK. Oh well.
  • prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has released a free software update for second generation Apple TV users, bringing the revised new interface demonstrated for the new, third generation Apple TV. ...



    I know I will get pilloried for even mentioning it, but that has to be the *least* attractive UI I've ever seen from Apple.



    Buttons that are rectangular for no apparent reason?

    Day glow colours with complementaries like purple and orange side by side?



    The old one was a horror to navigate but at least it was tasteful and attractive.



    I hope we can at least move those buttons around. In Canada, you can't buy anything from AppleTV so the entire top row (the only row available), is virtually useless to me. I don't like the idea of having to scroll down to get to even the basic functions I use (like Netflix).



    Edit: The more I think about it, it's a compete disaster. What kind of crappy UI only gives you access to five buttons on the main screen when we are talking about screen real estate like most giant TV's have today? Why did they make the posters bigger at the top at the expense of even one more row of buttons? Why make the buttons rectangular when if they were square you could fit 8 or even 10 of them in the first row?
  • luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member
    [ flame suit on ]



    From a UI standpoint - it's not a scalable design. More widgets? Really?

    And what if you want more content?



    You'll be scrolling down screens and more screens to see content.

    [ see the last screenshot ].



    This is an OK experience for tablets and phones where you can touch the screen.



    Honestly - I think Microsoft has a better solution with their XBOX Metro design - allowing you to voice or gesture search or move things around.
  • alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Anyone know if they added an iTunes-style visualizer as a screensaver option for when you're listening to music through the ATV? Still seems like a no-brainier.



    I am also frustrated by the top level UI... same problems as the last one IMO. The top bar is obnoxiously large and not very useful.



    Also, for someone like me who primarily uses the ATV as a player for my main iTunes library, the top level titles of "Movies" and "Music" are misleading. I propose that the "Computers/Home Sharing" option be removed, and instead, movies and music from your home shared iTunes library show up under the "Movies" and "Music" menus, and from there you chose "iTunes Match/iCloud" or "Home Library" as the source for music.



    I still don't buy into this "all my stuff in the cloud" crap. I don't think the broadband infrastructure, in the US at least, is capable, dependable, or even available enough to support that method for the majority of users. Seems extremely inefficient to chomp up bandwidth to re-download or stream content that's already sitting on my computer on my home network, especially now that 1080p is in the picture.



    Maybe I'm in the minority, IDK. Oh well.



    well, heck, you don't HAVE to use the cloud. keep using your LAN + iTunes library routinely if you wish. the cloud - iTunes Match - adds a new resource for you to use when that is convenient. it didn't take away what you already got local. it's really most useful managing media on portable devices.
  • coldpizzacoldpizza Posts: 13member
    So will the ATV3 look better in all aspects? Menus, photos, etc.? Or is it only for 1080p video sources?
  • christophbchristophb Posts: 1,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post


    [ flame suit on ]



    From a UI standpoint - it's not a scalable design. More widgets? Really?

    And what if you want more content?



    You'll be scrolling down screens and more screens to see content.

    [ see the last screenshot ].



    This is an OK experience for tablets and phones where you can touch the screen.



    Honestly - I think Microsoft has a better solution with their XBOX Metro design - allowing you to voice or gesture search or move things around.



    Hope you don't get flamed for saying Microsoft.



    I sense an update to the iOS remote app that looks just like the on-screen version shown here. Installing the update now and will post impressions on feel.
  • sennensennen Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    There's no way Apple's gonna let old models have it. I hope to be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.



    *ahem*



    Jeez, you are angsty today.
  • mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    I am also frustrated by the top level UI... same problems as the last one IMO. The top bar is obnoxiously large and not very useful.



    New stuff appears there... I use it all the time rather than drill down through menus. Download a new episode of Fringe, it's right there at the top. Simple.



    Quote:

    I still don't buy into this "all my stuff in the cloud" crap. I don't think the broadband infrastructure, in the US at least, is capable, dependable, or even available enough to support that method for the majority of users. Seems extremely inefficient to chomp up bandwidth to re-download or stream content that's already sitting on my computer on my home network, especially now that 1080p is in the picture.



    Then don't buy it. No one says you have to. iTunes in the Cloud is for grabbing stuff that you don't have immediate access to. If you're on your AppleTV and your content is on your computer in the other room, just stream it from there. The "cloud" stuff is more of a backup or secondary location, so you don't have to fill up your iDevice.
  • sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    I am also frustrated by the top level UI... same problems as the last one IMO. The top bar is obnoxiously large and not very useful.



    Also, for someone like me who primarily uses the ATV as a player for my main iTunes library, the top level titles of "Movies" and "Music" are misleading. I propose that the "Computers/Home Sharing" option be removed, and instead, movies and music from your home shared iTunes library show up under the "Movies" and "Music" menus, and from there you chose "iTunes Match/iCloud" or "Home Library" as the source for music.



    Yes yes yes. The average person isn't sitting there thinking "should I watch an iTunes movie, or a Netflix movie", or "should I listen to my iTunes music, or the internet radio"; they're just thinking "I wanna watch a movie" or "I wanna listen to music". The interface should concatenate by types of entertainment (maybe throwing in "sports" and "news" as additional options with "movies" and "tv shows" and "music"), and then from there you can choose what you want and it doesn't matter if its streaming from Netflix or from your iCloud account or from iTunes, etc.



    And with the old interface, I could at least go to "movies" or "tv shows" and then scroll down to, say, "search" or "top movies [tv shows]" without leaving the main menu -- i.e., I could be down in the "movies" menu, and then just right-click the wheel and move to the next menu. Don't see how that's going to work with the app-like icons; seems like one will have to go back up to the home screen each time before shunting over to another "app".
  • sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I know I will get pilloried for even mentioning it, but that has to be the *least* attractive UI I've ever seen from Apple.



    Buttons that are rectangular for no apparent reason?

    Day glow colours with complementaries like purple and orange side by side?



    The old one was a horror to navigate but at least it was tasteful and attractive.



    I hope we can at least move those buttons around. In Canada, you can't buy anything from AppleTV so the entire top row (the only row available), is virtually useless to me. I don't like the idea of having to scroll down to get to even the basic functions I use (like Netflix).



    Edit: The more I think about it, it's a compete disaster. What kind of crappy UI only gives you access to five buttons on the main screen when we are talking about screen real estate like most giant TV's have today? Why did they make the posters bigger at the top at the expense of even one more row of buttons? Why make the buttons rectangular when if they were square you could fit 8 or even 10 of them in the first row?



    +1, full agreement. This is a less attractive, and less useful, interface. Very surprised at this move by Apple - hope this isn't indicative of the post-Jobs era.
  • postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Updated my AppleTV and I like it... Much better(in my opinion).
  • andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    No HBO 2 go yet? Wtf... Seriously?
Sign In or Register to comment.