Apple drops refurbished 16GB Wi-FI iPad 2 price to $349

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

After announcing its new Retina Display-toting iPad, Apple has dropped the price of the previous generation iPad 2 to as low as $349 in an apparent effort to turn over existing stock.

As Apple's website continues to be bombarded with an almost overwhelming amount of people clamoring to pre-order the latest iPad, the "Refurbished" section of the company's online storefront quietly revealed a significant price drop for the previous iteration of the tablet with prices starting at $349 for an entry-level 16GB Wi-Fi model.

The decrease in price, which took effect Wednesday morning following the third-generation iPad unveiling, reflects an extra 20 percent savings on the already discounted unit.

Before the special event, the online Apple Store's least expensive iPad 2 was a refurbished model which sold for $420, however that changed when the company announced it would continue to sell factory-new 16GB Wi-Fi and 3G-capable models of the second generation tablet at a heavily discounted price of $399. Interestingly, the refurbished 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 is $50 less than a refurbished 32GB first generation model.

The Apple Certified Refurbished iPads are tested and come with a one-year warranty, new battery and outer shell.

While availability fluctuates for refurbished products, there is currently a wide selection to choose from as all iPad 2 flavors are in stock save for units capable of connecting with Verizon's 3G network.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    With the Kindle Fire selling at $199 Apple is taking advantage of the consumer yet again¡
  • Reply 2 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After announcing its new Retina Display-toting iPad, Apple has dropped the price of the previous generation iPad 2 to as low as $349 in an apparent effort to turn over existing stock.

As Apple's website is bombarded with an almost overwhelming amount of people clamoring to pre-order the latest iPad, the "Refurbished" section of the company's online storefront quietly reveals a significant price drop for the previous generation tablet with prices starting at $349 for an entry-level 16GB Wi-Fi model.

The decrease in price, which took effect Wednesday morning following the third-generation iPad unveiling, reflects an extra 20 percent savings on the already discounted unit.

Before the special event, the Apple Store's least expensive iPad 2 was a refurbished model which sold for $420, however that changed when the company announced it would continue selling factory-new units of the second generation tablet at a starting price of $399.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Hmmmmm Samsung also dropped the price to their Galaxy 8.9 to 350.00. I think in this case I would prefer the Samsung.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Hmmm... maybe that will be the iPad's new nomenclature... 2nd gen, 3rd gen etc.

Maybe it also means that there will be some mid year hardware updates.

As tempting as this may be I'm still going to go for a black 32 GB wifi 3rd generation.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    now THAT is a hot deal.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I think Apple let an opportunity slip by not putting the iPad2 at $349 instead of $399. Even at 8 GB. That would have really prevented a lot of Kindle Fire sales, I think, compared to $399.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think Apple let an opportunity slip by not putting the iPad2 at $349 instead of $399. Even at 8 GB. That would have really prevented a lot of Kindle Fire sales, I think, compared to $399.

Question is, though, how well is the Fire actually selling these days.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Screw the kindle fire, screw samsung tablets and screw all other tablets besides the iPad.

With the new $399 price for the iPad 2 and a $499 price for the new iPad, the iPad will reign supreme and rule all, just like it has been doing ever since Apple totally created their own tablet category 2 years ago.

Did anybody here try to order a new iPad today? The Apple store was getting slammed! Apple probably sold more new iPads today than other tablets sell in many months or even a whole year.

If $399 is still too much for somebody to pay for an iPad 2, then the good news for these sorts of people are that the used prices will also come down. If somebody doesn't even have $300 to spend on the world's best selling tablet to date, then just forget about those kind of people. They are not even worth considering, their market segment is garbage. Apple has standards and they can't accommodate every single bum or cheapskate in the world.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With the Kindle Fire selling at $199 Apple is taking advantage of the consumer yet again¡

I'm assuming this is a joke. With the massive difference in HW & functionality between the Kindle and the iPad 2, an extra $150 for the IPad2 makes is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm assuming this is a joke.

Man that sarcasm punctuation just doesn't shine through, solipsism. You may have to start putting a wink emoticon after these sorts of sentences instead.

No fault of yours, Slurpy; this happens a lot, it seems.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    $150 more to get a full fledged iPad 2 over the Kindle? That's a no brainer. If you think otherwise, then you've never used a Kindle.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man that sarcasm punctuation just doesn't shine through, solipsism. You may have to start putting a wink emoticon after these sorts of sentences instead.

No fault of yours, Slurpy; this happens a lot, it seems.

Yeah, it's not working out so well.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw the kindle fire, screw samsung tablets and screw all other tablets besides the iPad.

With the new $399 price for the iPad 2 and a $499 price for the new iPad, the iPad will reign supreme and rule all, just like it has been doing ever since Apple totally created their own tablet category 2 years ago.

Did anybody here try to order a new iPad today? The Apple store was getting slammed! Apple probably sold more new iPads today than other tablets sell in many months or even a whole year.

If $399 is still too much for somebody to pay for an iPad 2, then the good news for these sorts of people are that the used prices will also come down. If somebody doesn't even have $300 to spend on the world's best selling tablet to date, then just forget about those kind of people. They are not even worth considering, their market segment is garbage. Apple has standards and they can't accommodate every single bum or cheapskate in the world.

Go for a walk.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Go for a walk.

Go take a walk yourself.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Eh. I'll wait a week or so, till AT&T starts selling refurbed 64gb models for the same price, as they did last year.