Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Suggesting strong demand for the new iPad at launch, shipping estimates for the white 4G LTE model from AT&T have shipped to March 19 at Apple's online store.

Both the 16-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte models are now advertised to ship by March 19, while the 32-gigabyte model is still shown to deliver on March 16.

There are not yet any delays for the Wi-Fi-only models, or any of the Verizon models. In addition, all of the black third-generation iPad models compatible with AT&T remain available for delivery on March 16.

Next Friday's iPad launch marks the most ambitious debut yet for a new version of Apple's touchscreen tablet. It will launch on day one in a total of 10 countries: the U.S., Canada, the U.K., France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.

Demand for the iPad is expected to continue to grow, bolstered by the Retina Display on the latest model, as well as a lower $399 entry price for the 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only iPad 2. The 3G-capable 16-gigabyte iPad 2 is also available for $529.

One estimate made before the third-generation iPad was announced projected that Apple will sell 55 million units in 2012. And analysts on Wall Street are in agreement that Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market, where it has maintained above 70 percent share despite a growing number of less expensive competitors, like Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Australian Apple Store Online still says "Order now for delivery between March 16 and March 22". Get 'em while their hot.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I ordered one for my wife's birthday yesterday and it says delivered on the 16th. It sure was a lot of trouble to get into that site though. It took about 2 hours after the event was done before I could get all the way through to placing my order.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Meanwhile, crickets sing joyously over at the Samsung website....
  • Reply 4 of 63
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    In memory of Slapppy:

Nearly 24 hours in and you can still order most new iPads without any delivery delays. Demand must be way down off the back of such a mediocre update!!

Apple is doomed!!

• Reply 5 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I can't wait to see the sales figures for this. Preorders in 10 countries at once for a ship day on the Match 16th with 25 more countries on March 23. That's aggressive.

2) So why is AT&T selling out. They have less AT&T models than any other: AT&T isn't the cellular pariah that was once clamed?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Are the 3s on display at Apple Stores?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I considered getting an extra iPad, a 32 GB wifi in addition to the 64 I wanted.

I let a co-worker shame me into not doing it, and now I'm glad. Looks like Apple has ramped up plenty and there will be a glut of new iPads on eBay come next weekend.

There definitely won't be enough of a shortage to drive the price up the way it has in the past.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post

Are the 3s on display at Apple Stores?

No and they won't be until the 16th.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I considered getting an extra iPad, a 32 GB wifi in addition to the 64 I wanted.

I let a co-worker shame me into not doing it, and now I'm glad. Looks like Apple has ramped up plenty and there will be a glut of new iPads on eBay come next weekend.

There definitely won't be enough of a shortage to drive the price up the way it has in the past.

The high prices never came from shortages, they came from countries who didn't get them as soon as we did here in America.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

No and they won't be until the 16th.

Why? Filler.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Come back on the 20th and tell me us how glad you are.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    vthreevthree Posts: 13member
    You guys are lucky. The Hong Kong website started selling the wifi ( no 4g for hk yet) at 1PM and by 2:30, it was sold out. There were 3 server crashes during that time so the accessible time was around 45 mins. Of course, a lot of the hong kong purchase are for reselling to the grey market in China.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    wow. I gave up at around 2 PM est trying to place my order.

Tried again at 5 PM est and it took 2 tries. Finally got it to go through.

I ordered the Black 16GB Verizon model. (and a new Apple TV)
  • Reply 14 of 63
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I can't wait to see the sales figures for this. Preorders in 10 countries at once for a ship day on the Match 16th with 25 more countries on March 23. That's aggressive.

2) So why is AT&T selling out. They have less AT&T models than any other: AT&T isn't the cellular pariah that was once clamed?

1) Yeah, I can't wait to hear how many millions have pre-ordered and the total of first day sales. I hope they have a huge inventory for this and can meet as much demand is thrown at them.

2) Maybe because they're offering a lower barrier of entry for data vs Verizon (250MB for $15/month)
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Filler.

They never put products out before you can actually buy them. They'll have them all out when they open stores on the 16th.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

They never put products out before you can actually buy them. They'll have them all out when they open stores on the 16th.

Could have sworn they have before. Ah, well.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    So is the LTE portion unlocked so one can get 4G access on any 4G-capabel carrier or are you locked in with your purchase? Talking about in the US here since CDMA-based networks have such a wonky setup.

PS: Just noticed there is no Sprint iPad. 18 models is a lot. 24 would just be annoying. Can wait until all CDMA/CDMA2000 is turned off... in about 20 years.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Assuming it's not because of low demand, this is a key benefit of keeping the same form factor. While the screen and chips need to be ramped up, it is probably much easier to ramp up production for the rest of the components since little has changed.

Given the amount of leaks, I'm guessing Apple has been ramping up for quite some time.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So is the LTE portion unlocked so one can get 4G access on any 4G-capabel carrier or are you locked in with your purchase? Talking about in the US here since CDMA-based networks have such a wonky setup.

PS: Just noticed there is no Sprint iPad. 18 models is a lot. 24 would just be annoying. Can wait until all CDMA/CDMA2000 is turned off... in about 20 years.

I do believe they are unlocked, however since carriers use different bands for LTE, there is no guarantee your AT&T LTE device will work on another carrier. GSM wouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I do believe they are unlocked, however since carriers use different bands for LTE, there is no guarantee your AT&T LTE device will work on another carrier. GSM wouldn't be a problem.

The AT&T model has 700 and 2100 bands for LTE while the Verizon model only has 700. I'm going for the AT&T model but I'll see if I can get it to connect to Verizon's LTE if this hasn't been vetted before the 19th (I was a later buyer).