Verizon will support Personal Hotspot with 4G LTE iPad at launch, AT&T won't

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    I just cancelled my AT&T 16GB preorder and placed an order for the Verizon 16GB.

Looks like I'll get it on the same day AND it'll have the Hotspot feature.

(Thank goodness for credit cards.)
  • Reply 22 of 91
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    I wonder if they'll now drop the surcharge for tethering on iPhones?
  • Reply 23 of 91
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    To heck with them both. I just got a Clear Hotspot device that works beautifully for all my Apple devices.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    alr26alr26 Posts: 29member
    AT&T is really starting to irritate me with their constant complaints about user data usages and their "coming soon" features that other networks (i.e. Verizon) have available at device launch. I have the unlimited plan with AT&T for my iPhone, and I am glad that I do as I am one of the those that use data and voice services simultaneously. However, my future non-iPhone iOS device will be with Verizon since these devices don't have voice capabilities.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    I have an AT&T iPhone, and used to have an iPad 1 (AT&T). A couple of times I traveled to locations that didn't have coverage from AT&T, so neither device worked. Because of that I was really tempted to go with Verizon for the new iPad, but Verizon didn't list a low-ceiling, low-price plan. I ordered a 64 GB AT&T iPad yesterday.

With this news, I just cancelled that order and placed one for a 64 GB Verizon iPad. the low-level plan is $5/month more, but that's for 4X the data, and mobile hotspot with no extra charge would be worth the $5 to me anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    kp*kp* Posts: 13member
    Sadly the iPad has been on sale for nearly 24 hours with customers having to choose their carrier without being told what the difference is.

I went with AT&T, and while I am not at all surprised, it would be nice to have known officially what the plans would be when they started taking people's money.

I already have AT&T for the iPhone, with tethering, and a general expectation of "sucky coverage but faster speeds," which I was OK sticking with, considering I don't intend to need data as much as I do on the iPhone. I'm not entirely sure I even need the cell radio, but I didn't want to spend $800 and then realize I should have gotten it.

This is my first iPad, so I'm kind of speculating on all the use cases -- how often I'll need data when not on wifi, whether I'd prefer to tether to my phone, or tether at faster speeds with my iPad (paying extra for two tethering plans would be ridiculous, but my phone is with me 24/7, my iPad will likely be left at home sometimes, so if they insist on charging for tethering twice, I will likely keep it on the phone.)

It would be nice if there was a way to combine data plans for both devices, so you could spring for the most GBs and then split them between the devices in whatever way makes the most sense.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Glad there's only one iPad to choose from in Canada, even though the data rates here are horrible. I'll probably hold off on a 4G data plan until I really need it and just tether to my iPhone for now.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    This may push people over the edge to Verizon. AT&T is typically better at data especially 3G data but Verizon has better 4G coverage than AT&T and they are more reasonable with their terms. AT&T needs to spend less on advertising and more on infrastructure. I wonder if they can be shamed into offering tethering. Verizon's 4G isn't even slow enough to matter when we are talking 18-20mbps.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I wonder if they can be shamed into offering tethering. Verizon's 4G isn't even slow enough to matter when we are talking 18-20mbps.

Perhaps. There have been a coupe other odd things they've done that they ended up changing not too far down the line.

I think if AT&T ran the numbers they'd find people with tiered plans with open tethering would end up buying more data than those who pay for tethering.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    So I just ordered a mobile Airport base station, as well. Sweetens the pot.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What isn't mentioned is whether it will incur an additional charge (as with the iPhone/ATT) if you wish to enable sharing.

According to another blog, Verizon stated that they would support the hotspot feature in all levels of their data plans at no additional charge.

Since AT&T is "working with Apple", you have to imagine that if they support it, they want it to ONLY be with their $50 plan. Greedy.

Jim
  • Reply 32 of 91
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    I assume one can connect via wifi, with an iPhone personal Hot Spot. Of course, thats not 4g, but its pretty useable. I will only get a wifi iPad, and hope the next iPhone offers 4g hotspot, for when I need it. (like I do now)
  • Reply 33 of 91
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I can't seem to find anything on Verizon's web site for the new iPad and the 4G service, but can we assume this is the same month-to-month option as the previous iPads had? That you can start/stop/restart your service as needed?

I ask because one of the footnotes on the page says, "Tablet plans not availabe on all tablet models."

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...obileBroadband
  • Reply 34 of 91
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I can't seem to find anything on Verizon's web site for the new iPad and the 4G service, but can we assume this is the same month-to-month option as the previous iPads had? That you can start/stop/restart your service as needed?

I ask because one of the footnotes on the page says, "Tablet plans not availabe on all tablet models."

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...obileBroadband

From the Apple Store:

No?commitment data plans from AT&T or Verizon

In the U.S., you can choose from data plans with no long-term contract.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ad/select_ipad
  • Reply 35 of 91
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjgchicago View Post

The hotspot feature takes a backseat to overall speed, for me. I ordered my new iPad with AT&T 4G. While AT&T's 4G network is not is as large - yet, tests that I've seen have shown that AT&T's 4G LTE is much faster (50% faster) than Verizon's.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATT+LTE+Bea...ticle22787.htm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That article and comparison tests are irrelevant as clearly a brand new empty network will be faster than a network with people actually using it. When the loads are similar then compare. Anatech has speed tests on Verizon hitting 60Mbs. They both are using LTE and in the end should be about the same. AT&T should be faster on 3G though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I typically see 18-20Mbs down on average on Verizon's LTE on my devices. Considering my home Wifi is 15, anything beyond that seems like gravy anyway.

In my circles a phone that can TXT and make calls is all the “phone” I need, so with LTE on an iPad I don’t need a phone data plan – and outside of Siri (maybe still to come), the iPad lacks nothing else the iPhone has. And when I’m net-connected, I want as much screen real estate as I can get – I find accessing the web, maps, watching videos, etc. with the iPhone’s # of pixels, while an amazing tech achievement, limiting, and typing a real chore (I'm a writer).

And I always have a briefcase or over-the-shoulder bag with me – which I could lighten by 2 pounds of stuff I won’t need with an iPad (and wireless keyboard) at hand.

The iPad is ALSO going to replace my notebook for 90% (or more) of my outside the house forays where I’ll need net - often where Wi-Fi is NOT available so the investment in 4G and 64GB makes that essential. and in fact, its extreme mobility will probably make me not use computers that much at all at home either as I’ll just be dragging my new pad around.

So now I’m toying with a MAYBE wacky idea. Since 4G (theoretically and according to thataveragejoe) is faster than 811g, which is fast enough in my house, I’m not sure of my current data use – my main downloading in bulk use is podcasts. But if I can determine that (and since I live alone) – I could use the iPad LTE as my home hotspot and save $65/month by cancelling my Cable modem plan. Period. And I just found $22 worth of Verizon stuff to turn off on my “dumb phone.”

So let’s say I use 10 GB a month - away from outside WiFi hotspots (where I will try to concentrate any concentrated down and uploading, e.g., my podcasts) – that’s $80 for my home and road internet use. That’s only $15 more than I pay now for home net - to get both home and away, and if 13 GB, only the cost of a basic data plan for the iPhone I won’t need – plus I’ll save $2-400 upfront on the cost of a new phone… (Note Comcast currently allows 250 GB - but states 90% of users use than 5GB a month.)

…which brings the price of the tricked out full-boat iPad and burner phone down to the price of the base model. (AND I'll have "simultaneous voice and data" all the time on Verizon - even outside of 4G areas.)

Ha! If 4G has the speed I believe it has, and I'm not missing something important (and I’m, yes, in Verizon’s 4G area), that sounds like a win to me!

Tech questions:

1. In my scenario above, would an Apple TV work through the iPad's Hotspot feature??

2. Will my SugarSync and DropBox accounts be happy campers as well?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

1. In my scenario above, would an Apple TV work through the iPad's Hotspot feature??

From my experience with an ATV2 over 802.11n WiFi via "high speed" cable modem internet connection, I can't even imagine how painful the experience would be with an ATV3 via cellular modem connection.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Plus, if I take it outside the country I'm good to go.

So would you be if you had chosen the Verizon model. In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network. Both models support worldwide GSM capability.

Don't believe it? Go check out the new iPad's Tech Specs page and look under "Wireless and Cellular". Compare closely. Verizon wins.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

So would you be if you had chosen the Verizon model. In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network. Both models support worldwide GSM capability.

Don't believe it? Go check out the new iPad's Tech Specs page and look under "Wireless and Cellular". Compare closely. Verizon wins.

Could you explain that in detail for me. For instance, I want to connect to LTE @ 2100MHz. Or how am I going to connect the Verizon iPad to a CDMA network in Canada?
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Could you explain that in detail for me. For instance, I want to connect to LTE @ 2100MHz. Or how am I going to connect the Verizon iPad to a CDMA network in Canada?

Are you genuinely inquiring or just being purposefully confrontational? I couldn't quite tell.

I did acknowledge that LTE capabilities on both models are different. Therefore, there's really no need to point out that the Verizon LTE model doesn't operate at 2100 MHz. As long as the CDMA network you want to connect to operates at either 800 or 1900 MHz, you'll be good to go. How are you going to connect an AT&T iPad to a CDMA network in Canada? It offers no CDMA connectivity at all! The more I think about it, you sound like someone who is just a wee bit pissy because they chose not to review specs for both options before making their purchase, therefore, making a truly uninformed decision. I was merely stating (in so many words) that the Verizon model iPad could also operate "outside of the country".

Please tell me, what exactly do you believe your new AT&T iPad will be able to do that a new Verizon iPad will not? Explain THAT in detail for ME.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Are you genuinely inquiring or just being purposefully confrontational? I couldn't quite tell.

I did acknowledge that LTE capabilities on both models are different. Therefore, there's really no need to point out that the Verizon LTE model doesn't operate at 2100 MHz. As long as the CDMA network you want to connect to operates at either 800 or 1900 MHz, you'll be good to go. How are you going to connect an AT&T iPad to a CDMA network in Canada? It offers no CDMA connectivity at all! The more I think about it, you sound like someone who is just a wee bit pissy because they chose not to review specs for both options before making their purchase, therefore, making a truly uninformed decision. I was merely stating (in so many words) that the Verizon model iPad could also operate "outside of the country".

Please tell me, what exactly do you believe your new AT&T iPad will be able to do that a new Verizon iPad will not? Explain THAT in detail for ME.

You wrote, "In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has..." then followed it up with a snarky "Don't believe it? Verizon wins." I merely pointed out you are axiomatically wrong as the AT&T iPad has the 2100MHz spectrum that the Verizon iPad does not.