Verizon will support Personal Hotspot with 4G LTE iPad at launch, AT&T won't

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You wrote, "In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has..." then followed it up with a snarky "Don't believe it? Verizon wins." I merely pointed out you are axiomatically wrong as the AT&T iPad has the 2100MHz spectrum that the Verizon iPad does not.

How nice of you to cut my sentence off at a point that conveniently changes the takeaway message, for the sake of your argument. I do believe an accurate quote of what I said was more like:

"In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network."

I get it now. It bothered you that I said, "Verizon wins." and you chose an AT&T model iPad. Well now, that explains everything. I am truly sorry to have rained on your parade. I was only trying to point out that, for worldwide roaming, you would have been fine choosing the Verizon model, too.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

How nice of you to cut my sentence off at a point that conveniently changes the takeaway message, for the sake of your argument. I do believe an accurate quote of what I said was more like:

"In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network."

I get it now. It bothered you that I said, "Verizon wins." and you chose an AT&T model iPad. Well now, that explains everything. I am truly sorry to have rained on your parade. I was only trying to point out that, for worldwide roaming, you would have been fine choosing the Verizon model, too.

Based on your conclusion it reads like you read the tech specs incorrectly, hence my query. Again how does Verizon win when it has less cellular connectivity options than the AT&T model? Personally I'd consider it a moot point and the the user should should the network that works best in their area(s), but that's me.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    Quote:

Based on your conclusion it reads like you read the tech specs incorrectly, hence my query. Again how does Verizon win when it has less cellular connectivity options than the AT&T model? Personally I'd consider it a moot point and the the user should should the network that works best in their area(s), but that's me.

How do you figure the Verizon model has less connectivity options? Even taking the AT&T model's extra 2100 MHz LTE frequency into account, yes, that is one frequency the AT&T model doesn't have. Now, add the Verizon model's extra two CDMA frequencies that the AT&T model doesn't have, and tell me (numerically) which one has less cellular connectivity? The Verizon model technically utilizes *one more frequency* than the AT&T model - making me right if you gauge it by that argument. But that would be nit-picking, wouldn't it?

I agree, however, one should consider both LTE coverage and speed in their area (for both carriers) before making a purchasing decision. It really *is* all about what works best for your particular geographic situation.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

I wonder if by the end of the decade we'll have free unlimited high-speed data everywhere.

Nothing is "free". However, I wouldn't be surprised if Nanny Government pays for it for "the needy", like they pay for cell phones (I think there's something in the Constitution that everyone has the right to 4G data). If you actually work for a living, you'll still be paying.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

So would you be if you had chosen the Verizon model. In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network. Both models support worldwide GSM capability.

Don't believe it? Go check out the new iPad's Tech Specs page and look under "Wireless and Cellular". Compare closely. Verizon wins.

Not that I intend to do so, but would the Verizon model work on T-Mobile's 2G network with the right SIM card or will it be country-locked? For instance, a Verizon iPhone 4S can use a non-US SIM card but not a SIM from a US carrier if they unlock it for you.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I wonder if they'll now drop the surcharge for tethering on iPhones?

I doubt it, as long as there are still grandfathered unlimited 3G plans out there. Maybe for a new LTE iPhone, which most likely would require a new LTE contract with metered data.

A tethering surcharge makes a little sense when you have an unlimited data plan; but when you're paying for your data by the GB, it really shouldn't matter what device is using the data. So, I guess, "kudos" to Verizon for grasping common sense and not taking advantage of every last opportunity to screw people with an additional charge.

On the other hand, where is the 2-yr contract with iPad subsidy? "No contract, month-to-month" may be a feature for some, but for those of us who are willing to commit to 2 years (and a $350 ETF), we're effectively paying a $15/month surcharge upfront by paying full retail for the device. Or, instead of an upfront subsidy, I'd be happy with a 2-year contract with a $15/month discount for "bring your own device".

But alas, clearly I'm dreaming of a truly competitive wireless market...
  • Reply 47 of 91
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

None of the plans are very good. I almost went with Verizon this time but the pricing is better with AT&T (don't need tethering) and both offer adequate LTE in my area. Plus, if I take it outside the country I'm good to go.

Damn you got owned. Once people pointed out the fallacy in your argument you chose to either ignore it or use your usual tactic of quoting only a snippet to make your usual straw man last stand argument. Do you work for AT&T? Hard to believe there is such a thing as a carrier fanboy but you sure would seem to fall into that category.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Damn you got owned. Once people pointed out the fallacy in your argument you chose to either ignore it or use your usual tactic of quoting only a snippet to make your usual straw man last stand argument. Do you work for AT&T? Hard to believe there is such a thing as a carrier fanboy but you sure would seem to fall into that category.

By pointing out the relevant part which is clearly the AT&T iPad has 2x the LTE spectrums as the Verizon iPad. You're just sore I wiped the floor with you in the last foolish argument you started... and every other before that.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    Quote:

By pointing out the relevant part which is clearly the AT&T iPad has 2x the LTE spectrums as the Verizon iPad. You're just sore I wiped the floor with you in the last foolish argument you started... and every other before that.

In your mind when have you ever lost any argument here on AI? I am guessing never. Even when pople that normally agree with you say you are wrong you are at least consistent and stick to your guns.

Can your AT&T iPad be used as a hotspot? No

Does Verizon have a far larger LTE network in place in the U.S.? Yes

Can the Verizon iPad be used in other countries? Yes

Can the Verizon or AT&T iPad use LTE in other countries? No

Sounds like you just have buyers remorse and want to justify your hasty decision. Must be nice to be the judge and jury, at least you always get the verdict you are looking for.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:

In your mind when have you ever lost any argument here on AI? I am guessing never. Even when pople that normally agree with you say you are wrong you are at least consistent and stick to your guns.

Can your AT&T iPad be used as a hotspot? No

Does Verizon have a far larger LTE network in place in the U.S.? Yes

Can the Verizon iPad be used in other countries? Yes

Can the Verizon or AT&T iPad use LTE in other countries? No

Sounds like you just have buyers remorse and want to justify your hasty decision. Must be nice to be the judge and jury, at least you always get the verdict you are looking for.

But not 2100MHz hence my query about how Verizon somehow undeniably wins. But keep diggin your hole. I enjoy doing this to you, but at least try to come up with better trolling buzzwords than that.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:

Don't bother trying to use logic to argue with this guy. He is the resident and self-appointed God of AI. His words are law or didn't you know? he loves to make straw man arguments and take snippets of quotes to make his f fallacious points or to backtrack on what he said. You can tell he actually seems to regret not buying the Verizon iPad but then quickly retreats and has to justify his purchase by outright lying. Most pople here just tend to ignore him because he will always win in his mind and never admits he made a mistake.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:

But not 2100MHz hence my query about how Verizon somehow undeniably wins. But keep diggin your hole. I enjoy doing this to you, but at least try to come up with better trolling buzzwords than that.

Verizon wins for the reasons I listed. The hotspot feature alone seems to be a tremendous advantage over not having that on AT&T. Add to that a far, far larger LTE network in place in the U.S.

How exactly is 2100MHz some killer feature that makes the AT&T version a superior option for 99.9% of U.S. customers compared to the advantages I listed above?

The last time I saw you here you only had about 2,000 posts. How in hell did you manage to jump to 3,434 posts so quickly. Do you have a life outside of annoying people on AI? How many posts do you write in a day out of curiosity?
  • Reply 53 of 91
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

I doubt it, as long as there are still grandfathered unlimited 3G plans out there. Maybe for a new LTE iPhone, which most likely would require a new LTE contract with metered data.

However - even the grandfathered unlimited plans are not unlimited when used as a hot-spot. The hot-spot feature has a separate data limit.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:

Verizon wins for the reasons I listed. The hotspot feature alone seems to be a tremendous advantage over not having that on AT&T. Add to that a far, far larger LTE network in place in the U.S.

How exactly is 2100MHz some killer feature that makes the AT&T version a superior option for 99.9% of U.S. customers compared to the advantages I listed above?

1) You imply things never stated but that's your MO so at least your consistent. We talking about your reading comprehension before. It either sucks or you're just trolling and considering that you posted in this thread to not have a conversation but to claim that I have buyer's remorse for carefully choosing AT&T over Verizon indicates it's both.

2) Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because I find it hard to imagine anyone can act as douchey as you let's review what was said....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

Plus, if I take it outside the country I'm good to go.

So would you be if you had chosen the Verizon model. In fact, the Verizon model has every capability the AT&T model has (LTE also being available but different) plus the added capability to connect to a CDMA network. Both models support worldwide GSM capability.

Don't believe it? Go check out the new iPad's Tech Specs page and look under "Wireless and Cellular". Compare closely. Verizon wins.

So we have my post clearly talking about taking it out of the country. Yet this guy states that Verizon wins yet Verizon has 1/2 the LTE spectrum as the AT&T iPad model.

Now sense more than 10 words were written I'm guessing that I need to remind you that he replied to my comment about taking it outside the country. CDMA is locked to Verizon which makes it absolutely useless when roaming. I'd get into my Summer travel plans and countries that have 2100MHz band but that would probably just make you even more jealous of me.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

However - even the grandfathered unlimited plans are not unlimited when used as a hot-spot. The hot-spot feature has a separate data limit.

It's a soft grandfathering. Without a contract there is no legal requirement for them to maintain the unlimited plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see them start not allowing new iPhone contracts to maintain the unlimited plans followed later by letting iPad users know that unlimited use plans will stop at a certain date.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Quote:

1) You imply things never stated but that's your MO so at least your consistent. We talking about your reading comprehension before. It either sucks or you're just trolling and considering that you posted in this thread to not have a conversation but to claim that I have buyer's remorse for carefully choosing AT&T over Verizon indicates it's both.

2) Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because I find it hard to imagine anyone can act as douchey as you let's review what was said....

So we have my post clearly talking about taking it out of the country. Yet this guy states that Verizon wins yet Verizon has 1/2 the LTE spectrum as the AT&T iPad model.

Now sense more than 10 words were written I'm guessing that I need to remind you that he replied to my comment about taking it outside the country. CDMA is locked to Verizon which makes it absolutely useless when roaming. I'd get into my Summer travel plans and countries that have 2100MHz band but that would probably just make you even more jealous of me.

You obviously read this article since you were one of the first to post in the comment section. Quelle surprise.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=145720

"According to Apple U.K.'s info page, the new iPad will support the 700MHz and 2100MHz LTE bands found in the stateside AT&T version, which don't match the 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz LTE bands being rolled out across Europe."

So tell me again exactly how not having an iPad with no hotspot capability, a far smaller LTE network, and no appreciable advantage when overseas is in any way superior to the Verizon version?

I also noticed aside from your first comment about you thinking LTE would unify things globally you have been rather quiet. By the way, I have stated numerous times over the last few months that LTE would cause even more problems for carriers in terms of global roaming. So this didn't come as any surprise to me.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Honest question. How much 2100 MHz LTE is there IRL -- outside the good ol' US of A -- that will be compatible with the AT&T iPad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Rogers in Canada, AT&T in Puerto Rico, NTT DOCOMO in Japan. Any others?
  • Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:

You obviously read this article since you were one of the first to post in the comment section. Quelle surprise.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=145720

"According to Apple U.K.'s info page, the new iPad will support the 700MHz and 2100MHz LTE bands found in the stateside AT&T version, which don't match the 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz LTE bands being rolled out across Europe."

So tell me again exactly how not having an iPad with no hotspot capability, a far smaller LTE network, and no appreciable advantage when overseas is in any way superior to the Verizon version?

I also noticed aside from your first comment about you thinking LTE would unify things globally you have been rather quiet. By the way, I have stated numerous times over the last few months that LTE would cause even more problems for carriers in terms of global roaming. So this didn't come as any surprise to me.

1) This isn't rocket science. It's says right there in the text you copy and pasted. "700MHz and 2100MHz LTE bands" How could have possibly missed the Verizon iPad only has 700MHz for LTE.

2) I have no idea you'd include text about the LTE bands for Europe it doesn't include. Are you sill under the impression that the Verizon iPad includes them or is it something more bizarre like Europe is the only place outside the US to travel.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Honest question. How much 2100 MHz LTE is there IRL -- outside the good ol' US of A -- that will be compatible with the AT&T iPad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Rogers in Canada, AT&T in Puerto Rico, NTT DOCOMO in Japan. Any others?

Not much. NTT Do Co Mo is the big one I know of.

Things might get more wonky next year if AT&T can start switching its GSM band(s) to LTE. I suppose Apple will want to capitalize on that first which could hurt the rest of the world. Hopefully the MDM9615 built on the smaller design will include more and be in the next iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

It's a soft grandfathering. Without a contract there is no legal requirement for them to maintain the unlimited plans. I wouldn't be surprised to see them start not allowing new iPhone contracts to maintain the unlimited plans followed later by letting iPad users know that unlimited use plans will stop at a certain date.

Yes - I think that was pretty clear from the start, and I've been expecting it to happen too.

But I was responding to the comment that they would not remove the tethering monthly charge while there are unlimited data plans, and pointing out that the tethering part is not unlimited, so it shouldn't be a factor.