Google threatening Android app makers who use alternative payment services

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    But i thought google and android were open!?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Just saying that until there is definitive proof that they are doing this and it's not just a random report claiming it to be the truth, only then should AI post this article. Otherwise it just comes off as anti-Google propaganda.

I would think a Reuters article with interviews would be proof enough. What would be enough proof for you?

There were developers interviewed. Are you saying they are lying? What reason do you believe they are lying? Who do you think paid them to lie?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Only an evil company would pull an app due to the developer wanting to get all the revenue from in-app purchases.

Yep, Android is a rip off copy of iOS. Now Google is even copying Apple's " evilness." Can't Google do anything without copying Apple? Thanks for reminding us, troll.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

eh, I guess it would've been fair for me to ask what you mean by "app store incompatibilities" before I assumed your comment to be bullshit...you get a lot of half-truths and lies in regards to Apple competition on this forum.

So with that said, what do you mean by "App store incompatibilities?"

Incompatibilities may not be the right word for it, but I couldn't come up with something better. What I meant is that all the alternative Android app stores have a different selection of applications, different payment options and different ways of installing and and updating applications. For many users this is inconvenient, confusing and not user-friendly. This is not even considering how well some of these app stores will be supported by the manufacturer, now and in the future (I'm thinking about stuff like the Archos AppsLib and such).

Quote:

And yea...installing an untrusted app is a risky move which is why no one recommends anyone go online and look for untrusted apks...

I basically made the same point. I'm not against being able to install stuff from alternative sources, but it's not something everyone should be doing without considering the possible security implications. Which basically almost puts installing APK's from untrusted sources into the same category as jailbreaking an iPhone and using Cydia.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Incompatibilities may not be the right word for it, but I couldn't come up with something better. What I meant is that all the alternative Android app stores have a different selection of applications, different payment options and different ways of installing and and updating applications. For many users this is inconvenient, confusing and not user-friendly. This is not even considering how well some of these app stores will be supported by the manufacturer, now and in the future (I'm thinking about stuff like the Archos AppsLib and such).

A user would still have to choose to install those stores...or buy a device with it pre-installed alternative store (Kindle Fire). From the stores I've used installing an app is as easy as it's always been...and payment options are usually tied to either a paypal, an amazon account, google checkout/wallet or in some cases your carrier.

It's not that confusing...hell, it's not confusing at all.

Quote:

I basically made the same point. I'm not against being able to install stuff from alternative sources, but it's not something everyone should be doing without considering the possible security implications. Which basically almost puts installing APK's from untrusted sources into the same category as jailbreaking an iPhone and using Cydia.

A user has to choose to enable this option...and it gives fair warning into what you're possibly allowing to happen.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by openminded View Post

Just saying that until there is definitive proof that they are doing this and it's not just a random [major news organization] report claiming it to be the truth, only then should AI post this article. Otherwise it just comes off as anti-Google propaganda.

...you DO know that this is a rumor site, right?