Google, Asus rumored to team up for co-branded 7" tablet later this year

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

A new rumor out of the Far East claims Google and Asus are partnering on a 7-inch co-branded tablet that could arrive as early as May and will be priced between $199-249.

Industry sources told DigiTimes that Google approached several Taiwan-based companies about collaborating on a tablet at the end of 2011. Handset maker HTC reportedly turned Google down because it was "unwilling to develop a low-price model to impair its brand image," while Acer turned out not to be a good fit because it lacked the necessary in-house R&D capability.

Insiders indicated that Google eventually chose Asus because of its "ODM capability and good product quality." Asus reportedly opted to work with Google in an effort to win the company's confidence in Android device development, learn Google's technology "to develop software and content" and enter the U.S. tablet market.

According to the report, the resulting tablet would be positioned as a competitor to Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire and priced accordingly. The device would arrive in May at the earliest, tipsters said.

Assuming the rumor is accurate, the May timing would fit within Google chairman Eric Schmidt's promise last December to deliver a "tablet of the highest quality" in the next six months. At the time, Schmidt also described the competition between Apple and Android as "brutal."

Meanwhile, Asus is also said to have set its sights high for tablets this year. According to an earlier report from DigiTimes, Asus has an internal goal of seeing tablet shipments eclipse netbook shipments in 2012. Asus generated some buzz with its Transformer Prime tablet late last year, but it has yet to attract high volume sales.

Apple laid down the gauntlet for other tablet competitors on Wednesday with the unveiling of its third-generation iPad. Sporting a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel resolution display, 4G LTE, quad-core graphics and a 5-megapixel camera, the new iPad is expected by analysts to its lead on its rivals in the tablet market.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Gauntlet is right, I bet these guys had a design meeting in the wake of Wednesday's announcement.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Gauntlet is right, I bet these guys had a design meeting in the wake of Wednesday's announcement.

I don't think there was anything couldn't have already suspected due to leaks and general tech progress. The event solidified the changes but they should have been working to find a viable product long before Wednesday. That said, Asus's HW products are great, it's the dang OS that is pulling Apple's competition down and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Too late! Apple has outdone it again (the competition I mean).
  • Reply 4 of 83
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Kindle Fire killer?
  • Reply 5 of 83
    I'd love a Transformer Prime but the price is a bit high. I bought a Transformer during a Black Friday sale for $259.00 & love it. i don't know how the iPad lovers are getting by without an SD slot or mini-hdmi port. Anyway, I need a second tablet & if Google will get this to market quickly they could sell a load of these. I know I'd buy one if the price point is in the $200 range & has a good display.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    Flummoxed?!?!
  • Reply 7 of 83
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Quote:

Google and Asus are partnering on a 7-inch co-branded tablet that ......will be priced between $199-249

Of course they are. If they try to price it any higher it would be a total fail against a one year old iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Android has failed miserably with their first 100 or so tablets, why not make it 101?

Google is eager to get something out there and this will be their answer to get some sort of tablet out to the market place in order to compete with the Kindle Fire. This means nothing at all to Apple, and we'll see two cheap, low end tablets going at each other, desperately competing for a few crumbs in the over saturated and boring Android tablet market, which primarily attracts customers who don't demand much from their tech devices and people who don't have much means. It's basically a losing proposition.

Apple could shut down their R&D for an entire year, and the other clowns would still be way behind. That's exactly what the world needs, yet another 7 inch Android tablet.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I'd love a Transformer Prime but the price is a bit high. I bought a Transformer during a Black Friday sale for $259.00 & love it. i don't know how the iPad lovers are getting by without an SD slot or mini-hdmi port. Anyway, I need a second tablet & if Google will get this to market quickly they could sell a load of these. I know I'd buy one if the price point is in the $200 range & has a good display.

For the SD you can get a small adapter if you really need it (29 bucks on Apple store). HDMI nah... I wouldn't want one and then there's airplay (and there is an adapter even for hdmi)
  • Reply 10 of 83
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android has failed miserably with their first 100 or so tablets, why not make it 101?

Google is eager to get something out there and this will be their answer to get some sort of tablet out to the market place in order to compete with the Kindle Fire. This means nothing at all to Apple, and we'll see two cheap, low end tablets going at each other, desperately competing for a few crumbs in the over saturated and boring Android tablet market, which primarily attracts customers who don't demand much from their tech devices and people who don't have much means. It's basically a losing proposition.

Apple could shut down their R&D for an entire year, and the other clowns would still be way behind. That's exactly what the world needs, yet another 7 inch Android tablet.

I wish some Dilbert story about this :

The Boss : Apple is causing us trouble, we need a tablet soon !

Engineer : Ok, what technical choices, what pricing ?

the Boss : this is you to tell me. I want it cheap, but not low end

Engineer : Ok, we will try. Come back in 12 months

the Boss : no, I shrink your deadline to 6 months ahead

Engineer : (talking to himself) Oh no ! Here we go again ...
  • Reply 11 of 83
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The real gauntlet from Apple is the $399 iPad 2.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Damn!

And I agree 100% Apple has risen the bar and those Android clowns have been left dazed and confused. I can't wait to see the retina screen on the new iPad. I bet it is sick!!!!!

Will I get it? HELL YEAH!!!
  • Reply 13 of 83
    redpillredpill Posts: 11member
    How can Tim Cook sleep at night knowing this merger is about to take place?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    So if two full sized tablet losers get together, does that make one winner?
  • Reply 15 of 83
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Let's see, with more and more dedicated digital cameras moving towards wifi transmission of photos or the real issue of more consumers not using dedicated digital cameras period, I'm just not sure what need there is for a SD slot? I've got one on my mba and have used it at least ZERO times a day.

And as far as mini hdmi, do you really want to park your tablet next to, or behind, on top of your television so that you can use it as an expensive dvd player? This is what Apple figured out and it's where everyone else just seems to keep failing (or flailing). TV manufacturers have moved forward with built in wifi and connectivity to streaming services - again, why do you want or need mini hdmi?

Times they are a changing and hard connections and removable storage are going the way of the floppy disk, whether you want or like it. At some point, all physical connections are going to go away, once they figure out a better way to charge batteries.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

So if two full sized tablet losers get together, does that make one winner?

Nope. Just makes a bigger loser.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member
    Quote:

We "get by" with iCloud, DropBox and Airplay. What do you use for cable management?
  • Reply 18 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,321moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The real gauntlet from Apple is the $399 iPad 2.

I agree, I think that's the big change that is going to make android manufacturers struggle the most.

The 7" tablets will be able to undercut them but 10" tablets will be extremely difficult to sell at a significantly lower price and the iPad software still offers better value.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.

Google "Android wireless streaming to tv"