Google, Asus rumored to team up for co-branded 7" tablet later this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

My greatest fear is opening up my new iPad next week, playing with it for a few minutes and getting upset because my $99 touchpad running Android 4.0 is more usable, while the iPad feels a little too much like the iPad 2 I sold late last year. While the touchpad may not have the polished interface, features like flash and direct file management are some I wish the iPad had.

If you need direct file management use FileApp and if you need more features than that get FileApp Pro for $5 (comparable price to the "pro" filemanager apps for Android). No jailbreaking needed. These apps have been around for a while now. Paired with DiskAid you can do USB transfers. I know it's not great you have to pay, but you can get what you want.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The real gauntlet from Apple is the $399 iPad 2.

Or the refurbished at $349 not to mention the flood of original iPads being resold for much less.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Apple is trying to move the industry forward not back. Data should fly and cables should go.

We'd still all be using floppies and optical drives with thinking like yours.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    "no longer actively developing/updating" is the same thing as "killing"

What 3rd party developer will waste their time with Flash for moblie now? No developers no moblie platform.

Don't bother with all that desktop talk. Tablets and smart-phones will soon dwarf PCs and Flash will die since it cannot be everywhere, as it was meant to be.

FLASH IS DEAD
  • Reply 45 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Motoroogle.

Though that sounds like Roto-rooter, so they'd probably get into trouble. Or find a new use for their devices.

Considering that they're only good for flushing, the name might be appropriate.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

We'd still all be using floppies and optical drives with thinking like yours.

Thinking like whose? You should quote relevant posts to keep the context going.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.

Steven

Some of us want to use the iPad for something other than watching TV content. If there was a realistic way of getting data (docs, pdfs, spreadsheets, presentations) into the iPad I would buy another one in an instant. As it is I have to physically connect to a computer running itunes to get business data into my iPad.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

As it is I have to physically connect to a computer running itunes to get business data into my iPad.

iCloud.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nope. Just makes a bigger loser.

from The Guardian: "...they are all just racing for First Loser."
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Steven

Some of us want to use the iPad for something other than watching TV content. If there was a realistic way of getting data (docs, pdfs, spreadsheets, presentations) into the iPad I would buy another one in an instant. As it is I have to physically connect to a computer running itunes to get business data into my iPad.

No you don't. FileApp does it over Wifi if you don't want to use iCloud.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.

Ummm, plenty of Android devices use DLNA...
  • Reply 52 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

from The Guardian: "...they are all just racing for First Loser."

There was also a Jerry Seinfeld skit about how the second place winner at the Olympics was only the best of the losers.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Ummm, plenty of Android devices use DLNA...

Great, but the person they were responding to was complaining about the lack of a mini-HDMI port. So bringing up DLNA is irrelevant.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

No you don't. FileApp does it over Wifi if you don't want to use iCloud.

I am going to look at FileApp, but wifi and icloud are a no-go where I work. I imagine it is the same at many large businesses.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iCloud.

I would be fired the minute they found out I put corporate data in the cloud.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

We "get by" with iCloud, DropBox and Airplay. What do you use for cable management?

You do know there's quite a few cloud options for Android, right? DropBox for example is multi-platform, I have it on my Android phone right now... And there's other options for iCloud-like data synchronizing, some of which existed before iCloud (Ubuntu One for example).

But sometimes it's nice to be able to mount a device as USB mass storage, and transfer 10 gigs of data at a time without taking up bandwidth on your WIFI network or using 10 months worth of 4G data...

Or being able to expand my phone/tablet's storage with a 64 gig MicroSDXC card, so I have a few movies of my choice to watch on an airplane ride...
  • Reply 57 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] According to the report, the resulting tablet would be positioned as a competitor to Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire and priced accordingly. [...]

Fandroids think of Android in terms of total numbers, the way we think of iOS device sales figures, profitability, market share, etc. Makes sense to think of the iOS ecosystem that way, because it's all produced by Apple.

On the other hand, the Android hardware partners are competing against each other. They're all trying to push each other off the cliff. Samsung would be happy to crush ASUS' Android pad, ASUS would be happy to destroy Kindle Fire, etc. And the way things are going, Samsung just might decide to fork their own proprietary, closed, customized version of Android. It would give them an even bigger advantage over the lesser Android hardware makers.

Oh, and I'm sure Motorola Mobility is desperate to do something, anything, other than lay there and get strip-mined for their FRAND-encumbered patents. We'll see how long that "fire wall" between Google and their expensive Motorola Mobility mistress stays up.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

My greatest fear is opening up my new iPad next week, playing with it for a few minutes and getting upset because my $99 touchpad running Android 4.0 is more usable, while the iPad feels a little too much like the iPad 2 I sold late last year. While the touchpad may not have the polished interface, features like flash and direct file management are some I wish the iPad had.

So why did you pre-order one? You know the iPad isn't going to have Flash (ever) or direct file management (could happen with an update, but not likely in the forseeable future). Why spend the $499 (or more) when you seem to be happy with a $99 gadget.

I hope I just missed some sarcasm here.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Doesn't appear that there's going to be much room to make any money on Android unless you're Amazon, Samsung, Asus and Googorola.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/09/androi...-an-ipad-mini/
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Kindle Fire killer?

That's exactly it.

Amazon is eating Google's lunch.

It's even using their knife and fork!