Google, Asus rumored to team up for co-branded 7" tablet later this year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

no longer actively developing/updating and killing are not the same thing...Flash works fine on ICS

Dies when Chrome for Android becomes standard

And it doesn't work "fine". It works just as badly as it has worked on every other Android device
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

no longer actively developing/updating and killing are not the same thing...Flash works fine on ICS

Sry, double post
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

And it doesn't work "fine". It works just as badly as it has worked on every other Android device

Eh I don't even have it installed. Also I misunderstood what the previous poster meant by killed as he seemed to imply it no longer works

Adobe has killed flash or at least cut it off
  • Reply 64 of 83
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I'd love a Transformer Prime but the price is a bit high. I bought a Transformer during a Black Friday sale for $259.00 & love it. i don't know how the iPad lovers are getting by without an SD slot or mini-hdmi port. Anyway, I need a second tablet & if Google will get this to market quickly they could sell a load of these. I know I'd buy one if the price point is in the $200 range & has a good display.

Let's be clear... the Transformer has a MicroSD card slot. While it's great for expansion... it does nothing for us who want to easily import digital photos.

There are some cameras that use MicroSD cards... but there are far in the minority.

Apple does offer a regular SD card adapter... making it far more useful for digital photography (even at $29)
  • Reply 65 of 83
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I look forward to reading about their success/failure on my new iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Kindle Fire killer?

... or just kindling?
  • Reply 67 of 83
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

Paired with DiskAid you can do USB transfers.

I don't see diskaid in the app store. Ive bought other fileapps and they were terrible, is this the one you were talking about? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filea...359580470?mt=8

Thanks
  • Reply 68 of 83
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    All these many tablets being announced by all the different makers, reminds me of the phrase "if you throw crap against the wall, some will stick."
  • Reply 69 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

All these many tablets being announced by all the different makers, reminds me of the phrase "if you throw crap against the wall, some will stick."

Unfortunately for them that mantra no longer works with an ecosystemed market. You have to build for the experience which means getting multiple devices working fluidly together. It doesn't look like anyone has a handle on that except Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

I don't see diskaid in the app store. Ive bought other fileapps and they were terrible, is this the one you were talking about? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filea...359580470?mt=8

Thanks

That is the paid version. I've installed the free version. Diskaid is on their website and needs to be installed on your computer. I'm not sure it is any better than itunes but i've only tried it with one file so far.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

We "get by" with iCloud, DropBox and Airplay. What do you use for cable management?

And now we can beam photos too from the iPhone to iPad and vice versa. With the 4S that my wife and I have we hardly ever use the Nikon digital camera anymore. And if we do, we just use the SD card to plug into our Macs and they automatically sync wirelessly to our iDevices. I bought the camera kit for the iPad 2 and haven't used it at all. I just don't get this whining by the Android crowd about the USB port and SD card slot.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unfortunately for them that mantra no longer works with an ecosystemed market. You have to build for the experience which means getting multiple devices working fluidly together. It doesn't look like anyone has a handle on that except Apple.

The gap between Apple and the competition is growing by the day. It's not about the specs on the phones and tablets anymore. It just isn't and the droid fans just don't get that.

Who does the whole widget like Apple? Apple does industrial design, chip design, hardware design and engineering, in-house OS and broad apps development all tuned to the hardware, content through iTunes, cloud services through iCloud, etc. all the way to the best retail stores in any industry. Apple is light years ahead.

It's so funny to read the haters saying that Apple is "catching up" since the 4G has been out so long and that others have quad-core chips, blah-blah-blah... They just simply don't get it. Well, that's good. Let them wallow in their ignorance and delusions.

I've got two Macs, two iPhones, two iPads, an iPod touch and the AT2 at home all sync'ing and working together beautifully without any wires and even my very tech-averse wife and kids are putting all the stuff to great use without any problems.

My wife just marvels at the whole system that complements the decor in the house with its classy minimalism - no unsightly wires to be seen anywhere. All the racks of CDs and DVDs are gone as well now that I have all of that stuff on iTunes and iCloud and played through AirPlay throughout the home.

Now my brother, a hardcore Windows guy who has always scoffed at all things Apple for many years, is getting the 4S and is looking at the Mac and iDevice ecosystem in my home with a great deal of interest. Already got my parents converted as well and I'm working on more friends to convert.

All I have to do is just show how it all works and they get very quiet with an utmost seriousness in their eyes. I know what they're thinking: "Hmmm... I need this in my home too. How much will this cost?"
  • Reply 73 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Who does the whole widget like Apple? Apple does industrial design, chip design, hardware design and engineering, in-house OS and broad apps development all tuned to the hardware, content through iTunes, cloud services through iCloud, etc. all the way to the best retail stores in any industry. Apple is light years ahead.

And more specifically processor design, SoC/PoP design, battery design, at least working with display makers to push that tech forward, and a recent acquisition for NAND design. It's really kind of amazing the scope of their expertise despite the very few products they offer.

Quote:

It's so funny to read the haters saying that Apple is "catching up" since the 4G has been out so long and that others have quad-core chips, blah-blah-blah... They just simply don't get it. Well, that's good. Let them wallow in their ignorance and delusions.

I've got two Macs, two iPhones, two iPads, an iPod touch and the AT2 at home all sync'ing and working together beautifully without any wires and even my very tech-averse wife and kids are putting all the stuff to great use without any problems.

My wife just marvels at the whole system that complements the decor in the house with its classy minimalism - no unsightly wires to be seen anywhere. All the racks of CDs and DVDs are gone as well now that I have all of that stuff on iTunes and iCloud and played through AirPlay throughout the home.

Now my brother, a hardcore Windows guy who has always scoffed at all things Apple for many years, is getting the 4S and is looking at all the Mac and iDevice ecosystem in my home with a great deal of interest. Already got my parents converted as well and I'm working on more friends to convert.

All I have to do is just show how it all works and they get very, very quiet with an utmost seriousness in their eyes. I know what they're thinking: "Hmmm... I need this in my home too. How much will this cost?"

The best is when someone you know that swore off anything Apple finally gets an Apple product and they steamroll into more and more Apple products to the point they are asking you when new products will arrive and then being first to pre-order iPads even though theres is just a year old.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And more specifically processor design, SoC/PoP design, battery design, at least working with display makers to push that tech forward, and a recent acquisition for NAND design. It's really kind of amazing the scope of their expertise despite the very few products they offer.

The best is when someone you know that swore off anything Apple finally gets an Apple product and they steamroll into more and more Apple products to the point they are asking you when new products will arrive and then being first to pre-order iPads even though theres is just a year old.

Agreed about the specific areas of those critical technologies and I'm sure it extends to wireless networking technologies and things like mechanical switches, metallurgy, etc., all the way to package design and materials. I mean, look at Apple's power supplies.

Yes, it really is amazing to ponder the scale and scope of what Apple is doing. It makes everyone else look like total amateurs. From a business perspective, it's like watching the World Series champs beat up on some hapless minor league team (like AA or something).

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Windows/Android people become hardcore Apple fanatics and it's a pretty fun thing to observe. I've been a Mac user since '90 and even I don't upgrade the computer more than once every 3~4 years and I certainly don't plan to upgrade the iDevices more than once every 2 years. I'm skipping the new iPad since I'm quite happy with the iPad 2 but will definitely get the next one next year and hand down mine to the kids.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

Flash actually sucks on any Unix-based OS (OSX, BSD, Linux, etc...). Come to think of it, it even sucks on Windows, just not as much.

Flash works as good on Android as it works on any other system (ie. doesn't suck any more than we're used to).
  • Reply 76 of 83
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

<...>I know what they're thinking: "Hmmm... I need this in my home too. How much will this cost?"

Yes, but you can remove the second sentence ...
  • Reply 77 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

They probably put up with it with the realization that for $499 (or $399) iPad + $100 Apple TV you can buy a cheap android tablet along with couple hundred GBs of microSD cards and a handful of spare hdmi cables. That and it works everywhere, rather than only places where airplay video is supported. maybe more codec support too? I guess you could always lug around an AppleTV box but that is more of a pain than carrying a cable.

Where exactly do you need to go where you'd have to lug the Apple TV? Moreover, for less than 5 dollars I bought an Hdmi adapter that is compatible with the iPad dock connector.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

You do know there's quite a few cloud options for Android, right? DropBox for example is multi-platform, I have it on my Android phone right now... And there's other options for iCloud-like data synchronizing, some of which existed before iCloud (Ubuntu One for example).

But sometimes it's nice to be able to mount a device as USB mass storage, and transfer 10 gigs of data at a time without taking up bandwidth on your WIFI network or using 10 months worth of 4G data...

Or being able to expand my phone/tablet's storage with a 64 gig MicroSDXC card, so I have a few movies of my choice to watch on an airplane ride...

Not ever device is perfect for everyone. I, however, can already mount my iPad as USB. I had to jailbreak it, but it works.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

You do know there's quite a few cloud options for Android, right? DropBox for example is multi-platform, I have it on my Android phone right now... And there's other options for iCloud-like data synchronizing, some of which existed before iCloud (Ubuntu One for example).

But sometimes it's nice to be able to mount a device as USB mass storage, and transfer 10 gigs of data at a time without taking up bandwidth on your WIFI network or using 10 months worth of 4G data...

Or being able to expand my phone/tablet's storage with a 64 gig MicroSDXC card, so I have a few movies of my choice to watch on an airplane ride...

Wow, thats a lot of movies, if they are shrunk down to smartphone size! Usually, if I am traveling, I am planning on doing something else besides watching movies. Thats over 64 movies properly encoded for an iPhone!
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I am going to look at FileApp, but wifi and icloud are a no-go where I work. I imagine it is the same at many large businesses.

I'm confused. I import PDFs and doc files regularly into the iPad.