Airport seems faster....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just put an airport card in my iMac DV and the net seems snappier than it did with a physical connection to the same wire. This isn't actually possible is it? It must all be in my head...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It may be possable. My G3 tower's built in ethernet is very slow because of all the packet collisions. (Must be cheap parts built by the lowest bidder.) With every collision, the computer has to re-transmit the data, slowing the speed if the connection. Sitting here, I have about 1-2 collisions per second and I am just streaming an MP3 from the net. With heavy internet traffic, the collisions light spends more time on then off. I don't know if it is a hardware or software bug, but I am guessing hardware. It may be possible. My G3 tower's built in ethernet is very slow because of all the packet collisions. (Must be cheap parts built by the lowest bidder.) With every collision, the computer has to re-transmit the data, slowing the speed if the connection. Sitting here, I have about 1-2 collisions per second and I am just streaming an MP3 from the net. With heavy internet traffic, the collisions light spends more time on then off. I don't know if it is a hardware or software bug, but I am guessing hardware.