Apple to spend $304M on new Austin, Tex., campus, creating 3600 new jobs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    scruffyscruffy Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

This is the South. And we're proud of our crazy people. We don't hide them up in the attic, we bring them right down to the living room and show them off. No one in the South ask IF you have crazy people in your family, they just ask which side they're on. - Julia Sugarbaker,

Sorry, this just reminded me of that scene in Designing Women. Carry on.

HAH!

Sir, you have officially made my day with that quote. Long live the South

I'm from Georgia, but I currently live in Los Angeles. As a small business owner, from my point of view, a key problem with California is the state has made it almost prohibitively costly to run a business here. Everything is more expensive. Taxes are high, business fees are high, the taxes make day-to-day expenses high (gas among them). And yet the state is broke. So they start looking for other revenue streams and things like police ticketing rises, fees get higher - more ways to get blood from the stone.

Frankly, I'm looking to relocate to a different state, and (by anecdotal evidence I admit) I see a lot of others doing the same and for the same reasons. Especially in this age its gotten a lot easier to run a business from just about anywhere, so less expensive places start to look a lot more viable.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It depends.

Federal corporate income tax - doesn't matter where it's paid

State corporate income tax - paid by each separate corporate entity. If Apple creates (or already has) a separate subsidiary in TX, then that subsidiary would pay state income tax (if any)

Property tax - paid to the area where the property is located (this is a big one for TX)

Wage taxes and employee income taxes - paid where the employee works (usually)

Sales taxes - paid in the state where the item was purchased or sold

Not sure I'm any the wiser sorry lol. You mentioned income taxes but what about corporate taxes. I presume Apple pays company tax to the US government as a percentage of their profits? Do they also pay company tax to the state where the subsidiary is located?
  • Reply 43 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

California was NOT "super liberal" when most of those companies started, and a lot of the high tech business development in the region has more to do with the fact that there's already a critical mass of talent living and working in the area, rather than the liberal wacko policies of the state.

The important point of this story is that California is losing another big round of job creation to other states...jobs that have good reason to stay in California. The state is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, far more companies are leaving the state than are coming in (CA is consistently rated one of the worst climates for business in the country) and yet the liberal wacko legislature can only bring itself to raise taxes further, rather than cutting down the government's size.

Pretty soon we're going to reach a tipping point, where California can't borrow any more money to pay for all its spending or rely on federal bailouts, and then we'll see what the real product of a liberal culture looks like.

Actually, California is not super liberal and never was. It's the state that had Nixon, Reagan, and Arnold for governors. It's the state of Proposition 13, limiting property taxes to trivial amounts, which is the main cause of its fiscal troubles.

What is liberal is LA, the San Francisco area, and the Valley, and this is entirely related to the talent ecosystem found there.

Mark Zuckerberg would not have moved to Texas to develop Facebook unless he was high on crack, and probably not even then. All the low cost, union free, guns & prayer "advantages" from Texas would not have made up for his inability to get the talent and connections he needed to develop. New companies do appear and prosper in California. It's just that they are not companies that find competitiveness in low-cost labor or the ability to pollute freely.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    $21 million is peanuts. Apple and so many other IT companies have billions invested in Austin. Accounting and other Support divisions are down in Austin.

If they didn't have the Accounting/ Finance and Support down there I'm sure Apple would have been looking around for another place to expand.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I just think it's funny that California is being attacked for the very qualities that made it Apple's birthplace.

California is Apple's birthplace because Paul Jobs decided to buy a home there.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    "Expanding customer service support"

They need it.

In seriousness, I'm glad that Apple is investing in my alma mater city.

Austin is a FANTASTIC city to invest. Plenty of highly motivated work force, a true college "town" plus many connections to the people in power.

The people are very laid back and welcoming to outsiders.

True southern hospitality.

Lots of people should come and visit.

Guaranteed you'll have a great time.

Also, lots of beautiful and intelligent women in the city. Married a local gal.

Apple already has a large customer service hub in the city.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does a thread about Apple building a facility in Texas turn into a political discussion?
  • Reply 48 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

And because of the schooling that Steve Jobs received there. And because of the associations Jobs fell into with people like Steve Wozniak. And because they received funding from people who thought they had something valuable. And because HP was there. And because the Homebrew Computer Club was there. And because Stanford was there. And because Xerox PARC was there. And because the culture there was more than football and guns. So all those things played a role and in spite of Steve Jobs' particular genius, I believe one can make a case that Apple would not have happened, at least not in the form that it did happen, if Apple had not been located in that area of California.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Frankly, I'm looking to relocate to a different state, and (by anecdotal evidence I admit) I see a lot of others doing the same and for the same reasons. Especially in this age its gotten a lot easier to run a business from just about anywhere, so less expensive places start to look a lot more viable.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. And could you take about 10 million other migrants with you?

Quote:

Actually, California is not super liberal and never was. It's the state that had Nixon, Reagan, and Arnold for governors. It's the state of Proposition 13, limiting property taxes to trivial amounts, which is the main cause of its fiscal troubles.

This is only of consequence to people whose world view is reality based.

Quote:

New companies do appear and prosper in California. It's just that they are not companies that find competitiveness in low-cost labor or the ability to pollute freely.

Texas is the ideal place for those.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yes. Because if Steve had been born in Texas there would probably be no Apple computer.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does a thread about Apple building a facility in Texas turn into a political discussion?

You must be new here.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And because of the schooling that Steve Jobs received there. And because of the associations Jobs fell into with people like Steve Wozniak. And because they received funding from people who thought they had something valuable. And because HP was there. And because the Homebrew Computer Club was there. And because Stanford was there. And because Xerox PARC was there. And because the culture there was more than football and guns. So all those things played a role and in spite of Steve Jobs' particular genius, I believe one can make a case that Apple would not have happened, at least not in the form that it did happen, if Apple had not been located in that area of California.

You are right. Just like people would not have happened if the Earth didn't form in the habitable zone around the sun. Good luck makes things happen.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    sell off his assets and give the money back to his shareholders?

With Apple picking up the real estate pieces :-)
  • Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is bolstering its law department to counter all of the patent trolling coming from East Texas...

Here in Austin (yes I live here) we don't really recognize East Texas as part of our ecosystem. Come to think of it, we don't really recognize Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or El Paso either.

When someone asks me where I live I never say "Texas". "Austin" is all that's normally needed. (or "ATX" if they are young/hip)
  • Reply 55 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Not sure I'm any the wiser sorry lol. You mentioned income taxes but what about corporate taxes. I presume Apple pays company tax to the US government as a percentage of their profits? Do they also pay company tax to the state where the subsidiary is located?

I answered that. Here's my original post:

Quote:

Federal corporate income tax - doesn't matter where it's paid

State corporate income tax - paid by each separate corporate entity. If Apple creates (or already has) a separate subsidiary in TX, then that subsidiary would pay state income tax (if any)

Property tax - paid to the area where the property is located (this is a big one for TX)

Wage taxes and employee income taxes - paid where the employee works (usually)

Sales taxes - paid in the state where the item was purchased or sold

There's no such thing as a company tax in the U.S. There is a corporate income tax at the Federal level and in most states at the state level (Delaware is an exception with no corporate income taxes so many companies choose to incorporate there). This tax is often graduated (that is, the first $X of income is taxed at one rate and then as the income goes higher, the rate goes higher).

For the Federal corporate income tax, it doesn't matter what state it's in.

For the State corporate income tax, the income is taxed wherever that entity is incorporated. Apple Inc is incorporated in California, so the corporation's income is taxed in CA. However, there may be subsidiaries in different states. If so, then each subsidiary would be taxed on its income in that state. It is not uncommon for companies to have a separate subsidiary in each state in which they operate, but I have no idea whether Apple does that or not.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Somebody misinterpreted the news as a "move" of Apple to Texas and used this to attack California for being liberal.

I plead guilty to being unable to let that pass without reply. Sorry.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:

You are right, a long-haired India-travelling Zen Budhist LSD-using vegetarian hippie college dropout like Jobs would have done real well in Texas. Either he would have grown up as a totally different person, or he would have left as soon as he could, hopefully before being incarcerated or shot.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

Here in Austin (yes I live here) we don't really recognize East Texas as part of our ecosystem. Come to think of it, we don't really recognize Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or El Paso either.

When someone asks me where I live I never say "Texas". "Austin" is all that's normally needed. (or "ATX" if they are young/hip)

Austin is more like the west coast than like the rest of Texas... Where young people go to retire, haha.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't blame them for taking the money. Interesting debate. State aid/intervention to secure jobs in your state. Does that still classify as capitalism? I thought the Republicans where against spending government money like this, unless of course your running for President

It isn't spending givernment money when it is given in the form of tax credits or rebates. If Apple chooses to build this elsewhere and then the tax revenue will not come to Texas at all. What Texas is really saying is we'll take less of your money if you come here.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:

Somebody misinterpreted the news as a "move" of Apple to Texas and used this to attack California for being liberal.

I plead guilty to being unable to let that pass without reply. Sorry.

Yeah, and then others attacked Texas for being conservative.

Both views are really not very insightful. Silicon Valley has advantages and disadvantages for businesses like Apple and so does Austin. None of them has all that much to do with state-level and national-level politics, or with the eternal "conservative" vs. "liberal" narratives, attacks, and defenses. Whether the governor is Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown or Rick "Pointy Boots" Perry, they are not stupid, they will do what they need to to attract one of the top (if not THE top) corporations in America to open new facilities in their state. And, both areas have good talent and a good climate for fostering that talent.

So quit the stupid political debates and get back to Apple the company. Please.