Apple sells out of launch-day iPads, new orders ship by March 19

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Less than two days after Apple's new iPad was unveiled, the company has sold out of launch-day preorders in its online store, as new orders are now advertised to ship by March 19.

Did Apple say they sold out? If not, this simply could be the result of some unexpected delay for the online orders?

-kpluck
  • Reply 82 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Did Apple say they sold out? If not, this simply could be the result of some unexpected delay for the online orders?

Sold out as in the demand has exceeded the supply that can be delivered by March 16th. Whether that's because of a warehouse fire destroying 1 million units or because of a bottleneck in shipping it's essentially sold out for pre-orders for that day.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, "they" are clearly retarded, so who cares about what they say.

The screen is going to be so damn killer. An insignificant revision? Hahahaha

This is a technological leap never before seen in the entire history of tech. How's that for a fucking insignificant upgrade?

The display will be like looking at a full color print magazine. I look forward to getting mine, as I'm sure everybody else who has one on the way also is looking forward to theirs.

I agree that the display, even if that was the only change, makes it worthwhile. For the display is the core of the whole tablet experience.

I disagree with the magazine comparison. For resolution, yes. But having the image backlit and with better contrast, it will simply be the best image anyone has every seen in the world. Period.
  • Reply 84 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commoncents View Post

I disagree with the magazine comparison. For resolution, yes. But having the image backlit and with better contrast, it will simply be the best image anyone has every seen in the world. Period.

You might be right. I guess that we'll all know next friday when people start to get theirs delivered.

I was basing my comment on several comments from people who had actually seen the screen and used it, those who were lucky enough to be at the live event. I haven't seen or used it myself yet.
  • Reply 85 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

¿Que?

I think his comment is that the shipping companies are getting the items to ship but Apple is asking them to delay shipping. Like originally my FedEx tracking number says the shipping type is overnight delivery and it should arrive by the 12th but now there is a delivery exception of "Future delivery requested" and now it's bumped to the 16th.
  • Reply 86 of 121
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I'm so waiting for my new iPad to arrive on the 16th...gonna tell my boss I gotta leave early...I'm gonna be sick...sick I tell you...sick with ANTICIPATION! Go Apple!

leave early? are you mad.

You have to start sniffing and coughing here and there all week and then friday just call out the whole day.
  • Reply 87 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And since the Note allows you to have 2 apps side-by-side and has a stylus, it's a better content creation device than the iPad.

but are they two good apps. Cause if they are two crappy apps that freeze and slow down I'll stick with my one app on the iPad. I've gotten pretty dang good at the side swipe to shift between apps,
  • Reply 88 of 121
    Quote:

Last year they sold out much faster in just one country so this year in 10 countries is proof they arn't selling well.

until they reveal that they made 20 times as many units. Then its all pity for the poor deluded souls that have been sucked into the cult
  • Reply 89 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... but but ... you can make phone calls with the Note...

phone calls, that's so old school. now it's all about the texting and the video chat
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Every two bit crapware app on the device has its own sandbox. Why doesn't the owner of the device also get a small sandbox that they can use to save files to?

i rather agree with this. I don't need to have a Finder to see the files but it would be nice if they went to one common bin so if I decide, for example, to change PDF readers, the files don't have to be emailed to myself or synced to the computer and back. they are just there ready to go
  • Reply 91 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

By the way, the "new iPad" not to be called the iPad3 according to Apple, is actually a "Prequel iPad" which follows Hollywood's penchant for stretching out a winning series. Ergo: iPad1 - iPad2 (the sequel) - iPad (the prequel).

sorry but this is wrong. It's trilogy then prequel. then prequel to the prequel, then spin off of the original and then reboot the whole thing with a British cast all pretending to be Americans.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    In Singapore, one of the countries for 16th March launch, is now seeing all iPad models ship date slips to 22nd March. It's likely an indication of very strong demand, esp. when many iPad 1 users skipped the upgrade to iPad 2 last year.
  • Reply 93 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

i rather agree with this. I don't need to have a Finder to see the files but it would be nice if they went to one common bin so if I decide, for example, to change PDF readers, the files don't have to be emailed to myself or synced to the computer and back. they are just there ready to go

Look up FileApp. I think it'll give you what you want.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where' Slither... err I mean Zither? We need an obtuse comment from it yet.

Slither Slather seems so appropriate doesn't it?
  • Reply 95 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where' Slither... err I mean Zither? We need an obtuse comment from it yet.

He is (I suspect) Chinese or close to it. He only comment on matters related to Proview vs Apple disputes. I think he's emotionally involved. Shame...
  • Reply 96 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post

As of last night in the UK, it now says 'Dispatched in 2-3 weeks'. Very glad I got my pre-order in with delivery on the 16th!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I ordered mine upon announcement and my order is still processing...but it says delivered on March 16th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by George A. Brozak View Post

I ordered the 4G/64GB unit March 8th, early morning, via Apple's Educational division. By that time, the order was already showing a delivery of March 19th. Today, the order has slipped to shipping "Between March 22 and 29".

Quote:

Sold out as in the demand has exceeded the supply that can be delivered by March 16th. Whether that's because of a warehouse fire destroying 1 million units or because of a bottleneck in shipping it's essentially sold out for pre-orders for that day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

In Singapore, one of the countries for 16th March launch, is now seeing all iPad models ship date slips to 22nd March. It's likely an indication of very strong demand, esp. when many iPad 1 users skipped the upgrade to iPad 2 last year.

I'm iPad 1 Black 16GB WiFi owner (imported one from the US shortly after launch) who skipped iPad 2 last year.

I'm in the UK and I ordered mine on the early hours of Thur 8/3 -- White 32GB WiFi + 4G from the education store online (for a discount - I also have accessories ordered at the same time). At first, it says delivers on 16/3 but yesterday afternoon, I got an e-mail saying that it has been bumped to 20/3 Tue. The order page though still listed them as 'processing items' - delivers on March 16.

My iPad includes engraving and now I regret making a change to the text on Friday morning. They probably manage to ship it to me on launch date had I don't made that changes. Sigh
    The actual text from the e-mail:

Quote:

\t

Dear .....

Despite our best efforts and those of our shipping partners to get your order to you on time, we want to inform you that it will not arrive on its originally scheduled delivery date.

Your new delivery date is 20/03/2012.

Once you receive your Shipment Notification email, you can check the delivery status of your order by clicking the Track Shipment button, or by visiting the Apple Store and clicking Account.

We regret the delay and apologise for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Apple Online Store

I guess all the extra cargo planes from DHL only heading to NA and we Brits have to settle with the extra large size boat
  • Reply 97 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I'm iPad 1 Black 16GB WiFi owner (imported one from the US shortly after launch) who skipped iPad 2 last year.

I'm in the UK and I ordered mine on the early hours of Thur 8/3 -- White 32GB WiFi + 4G from the education store online (for a discount - I also have accessories ordered at the same time). At first, it says delivers on 16/3 but yesterday afternoon, I got an e-mail saying that it has been bumped to 20/3 Tue. The order page though still listed them as 'processing items' - delivers on March 16.

My iPad includes engraving and now I regret making a change to the text on Friday morning. They probably manage to ship it to me on launch date had I don't made that changes. Sigh
    I guess all the extra cargo planes from DHL only heading to NA and we Brits have to settle with the extra large size boat

If we hear about no other push backs I would assume it's because of your engraving. As for the boat comment I wonder how many weeks it would take a cargo ship to travel from China to the UK. I'm thinking a good 3 weeks.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They said the same thing about the iPhone 4S. Seems to me that all the braying from the nay-sayers is a good sign.

No, you have it wrong. Samsung says that the Note is a better comparison to the iPad than the Tab. And since the Note allows you to have 2 apps side-by-side and has a stylus, it's a better content creation device than the iPad.

And people accuse Apple of having a reality distortion field? Really?

I

Just want apple back to creatives. F?%ck the baring dogs, clueless Specislist re logic, Shake, FCP. PRO TOOLS is native now. Can run on any hardware. It was so much cooler. No rainbows, just artists, graphic artsy types, ad Exec's, musicians and that's slipping away.

Ok. We all know macs aren't big on games. Mary got them bet with direct x but hate of consoles and like gaming consoles like ps3 and ps4 due this summer.

Modern Warfare sold

1 billion in the 1st 16 days at $60 and $99 a pop. It's bigger than music and movies combined

And now that the iPad which will be my first (knew 4g would come and never fell for the upgrade ever time poop. I want to see Apple get back into creative. Shoot half he theaters are gone in the new stores. They pay a little more than minimum wage, tell you on a grand opening you have to run outside up and down the street like a dodo and for what. A good promo for the chairmen??? Where's the upgrade to iWeb? Tv/cable going done in flames and those that can edit and do web design will be well off and know after affects.

And why does every new event have hot air balloons, snow and hardly anyone in America.

I remember and it wasn't that long ago, macs were made in the US.

Shocker. A real shocker I know.

Yet we design all the cool stuff???

They could have went so deep with smart instruments but didn't.

Maybe some else will pick up the ball for logic and pro tools. P
  • Reply 99 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I'm in the UK and ordered a Black 32GB WiFi with engraving around the same time you did. I've just received notification from Apple that it is shipped for delivery on 16th March. I guess you are correct that your engraving alteration has delayed shipping. Sad!
  • Reply 100 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Finally --- a journalist who gets it:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19855...015_and_beyond