Apple clearing out original iPad inventory starting at $299

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

After introducing its new iPad and discounting last year's iPad 2 to $399 or $349 refurbished, Apple has now listed its original 2010 iPad model refurbished for just $299.

Availability fluctuates for Apple's refurbished products based on inventory, but the company is currently offering the base model 16GB WiFi iPad for $299, and either the 32GB WiFi version or the 16GB AT&T 3G version for $399.

A variety of second generation iPad 2 models are also available refurbished, starting at $349 for a 16GB WiFi model, $449 for the 32GB WiFi iPad 2, or $479 for the 16GB AT&T or Verizon 3G iPad 2.

The Apple Certified Refurbished iPads are tested and come with a one-year warranty, new battery and outer shell.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    There's your Kindle Fire killer.

And it's really kind of sad.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    nkingmannkingman Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My iPhone 3GS is a Kindle Fire killer
  • Reply 3 of 43
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Agree, that is a great price on a device that is far more capable.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Agreed, especially in light of the rumored selling of the Kindle below cost, and Amazon's corresponding alleged practice of selling ebooks at below cost.

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=djemalertNEWS)
  • Reply 5 of 43
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

I, for one, am all broken up.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Until their stock is finished, sure. And I still think they are targeting different niches, only a small percentage of Fire buyers will root it and run stock Android, the rest will just use it for what its built for, viewing Amazon content. The iPad has a whole range of other uses. So even if the 299 model was permanent, I doubt most Fire buyers would shell out half again the cost for the iPad 1.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    The funny thing is Apple is still getting margins on the original iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Agreed, especially in light of the rumored selling of the Kindle below cost, and Amazon's corresponding alleged practice of selling ebooks at below cost.

Yeah, how does that work? Lets sell Kindle Fires at below cost in order to gain marketshare. Then people will buy lots of content... Oh, and lets serve a double whammy and sell the content at a loss so that people will buy loads of Kindle Fires.

Not that it will a happen but theoretically Apple could put Amazon out of business in no time just by lowering their content prices.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After introducing its new iPad and discounting last year's iPad 2 to $399 or $349 refurbished, Apple has now listed its original 2010 iPad model refurbished for just $299. ...

For the record this is only 20 bucks cheaper than it's been for the last few months though. So no big change really.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

It's okay because Amazon is planning on making it all up with volume.

On another note, at $299, Apple is getting dang close to the price of an iPod Touch! (...and the price point of the yet-to-be-announced 7 inch iTouch).
  • Reply 11 of 43
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:

What an inane thing to say!
  • Reply 12 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Recently some people had the brilliant idea of selling the 3rd gen iPad with a Retina Display for $299 to corner the market. I wonder if they still think that makes financial sense.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I wonder if we'll see Apple go this direction when the next new iPad comes out next year.

iPad 2nd Gen - $299

iPad 3rd Gen - $399

iPad 4th Gen - $499+

Apple could straight up dominate with a lineup like that, at least in my opinion.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I wonder if we'll see Apple go this direction when the next new iPad comes out next year.

iPad 2nd Gen - $299

iPad 3rd Gen - $399

iPad 4th Gen - $499+

Apple could straight up dominate with a lineup like that, at least in my opinion.

Maybe, but not this 1st gen iPad is on their refurbished page so they are no longer producing it. That said they do sell 3 YoY models of the iPhone and yet stopped making the original iPhone way too soon as they had no supply in May 2008.

I could see it happening but for some reason having only 2 YoY models like they do now seems to be most practical. Maybe it's because of the size or perhaps it's because they already have 18 SKUs for the US market.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Apple will certainly find takers at these prices, but the cuts aren't really enough. The iPad 2 is roughly twice the original iPad and the new iPad roughly twice that. By those standards, the original iPad should be selling for about $125.

Looked at another way, the original iPad will no longer supported by iOS upgrades or by the latest and greatest apps about two years sooner. Divide $200 by 730 and you find it will cost about 27 cents a day to avoid that too-soon forced upgrade.

Or from another perspective, these are the per-day costs of a enjoying a much sharper display and a much snapper response based on different upgrade times.
    • Keep for one year: 200/365 or 55 cents a day.

• Keep for two years:: 200/730 or 27 cents a day.

• Keep for three years: 200/1095 or 18 cents a day.

And that's not factoring in that the new iPad will have a higher resell value. Assume that value is a mere $100, and all those daily costs are cut in half.

I've ordered the new iPad and I suspect I'll keep it for at least three years. And I imagine the difference will be worth a lot more than 18 cents a day.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien
  • Reply 16 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple will certainly find takers at these prices, but the cuts aren't really enough.

That makes no sense at all. If Apple can sell every single iPad at the price points that they set, then why in the world should they make it even lower? Apple is not a charity or a welfare office.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    This is what as known as a full court press. Apple is basically squeezing the life out of every non-Apple tablet on the market. Go, Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

iPad 2nd Gen - $299

iPad 3rd Gen - $399

iPad 4th Gen - $499+

Don't you mean

iPad2 - $299

the new iPad - $399

the newer iPad - $499+
  • Reply 19 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This is what as known as a full court press. Apple is basically squeezing the life out of every non-Apple tablet on the market. Go, Apple.

I like Apple and their products. But competition is good and in fact essential. Rejoicing over a company "squeeze the life" out of competing products shows ignorance at a multitude of levels.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I like Apple and their products. But competition is good and in fact essential. Rejoicing over a company "squeeze the life" out of competing products shows ignorance at a multitude of levels.

Sometimes that's exactly what the market needs to spur innovation. Just look at where the smartphone market as a whole was before the iPhone. Wait... make that the whole handset market because since the iPhone people have been dropping their dumb phones for various smartphones at an alarming rate... and being happy to pay more money per month for the service. You can't learn to pick yourself up if you don't experience a fall.