Apple clearing out original iPad inventory starting at $299

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This is what as known as a full court press. Apple is basically squeezing the life out of every non-Apple tablet on the market. Go, Apple.

A full court press would be if they continued selling the original iPad for like $250. Not saying they should. But its proof that if Apple was mostly concerned about marketshare, they could easily wipe the floor. But theyre less concerned about that than fragmentation, which is what I admire about them. Any other company would have kept older models alongside and sold them for dirt cheap to pad their sales #s.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I like Apple and their products. But competition is good and in fact essential. Rejoicing over a company "squeeze the life" out of competing products shows ignorance at a multitude of levels.

Survival of the fittest. The weak deserve to die out. That is what raises the bar all around.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Glad to have this info yet I'm still for the new ipad, with the retina display could be the most amazing thing in 2012....
  • Reply 24 of 43
    funkdisfunkdis Posts: 41member
    I do hope people know before they purchase the original iPad that apple won't be supporting it for very much longer. It may get iOS 6 and one update if that.

It already doesn't support apples iPhoto. You know the company that made the device and the app on a device that was still being sold 1yr ago.

If the specs are that low, apple should be put additional ram in all their devices to give it that extra bit of life OR improve the coding to make it work, it can be done.

Regards

Consumer.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Don't you mean

iPad2 - $299

the new iPad - $399

the newer iPad - $499+

iPad 2 = iPad 2nd Gen

New iPad = iPad 3rd Gen

Newer iPad = iPad 4th Gen

We're just arguing semantics at that, I'm sure you get what I'm implying. Either way, I could see Apple going this route come next year. Just like the 3GS is perfectly fine for a lot of people, I could see next year the iPad 2 being just fine for many people.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkdis View Post

I do hope people know before they purchase the original iPad that apple won't be supporting it for very much longer. It may get iOS 6 and one update if that.

It already doesn't support apples iPhoto. You know the company that made the device and the app on a device that was still being sold 1yr ago.

If the specs are that low, apple should be put additional ram in all their devices to give it that extra bit of life OR improve the coding to make it work, it can be done.

Regards

Consumer.

Uh, the're not a chance in hell it will get iOS6. Hell, Apple's new apps (iPhoto) don't support it anymore. It got 2 major updates, and since Apple hasn't sold the iPad for more than a year there's nothing to suggest it will get the next major update. It's sluggish enough with iOS5.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, the're not a chance in hell it will get iOS6.

Wanna bet?

Quote:

Hell, Apple's new apps (iPhoto) don't support it anymore.

Neither did iMovie, but that doesn't apply.

Quote:

It got 2 major updates, and since Apple hasn't sold the iPad for more than a year there's nothing to suggest it will get the next major update.

The iPhone OS 3.2 to iOS 4 doesn't count, in my mind.

Quote:

It's sluggish enough with iOS5.

Mine's faster than ever with 5.1.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Survival of the fittest. The weak deserve to die out. That is what raises the bar all around.

It is not the weak that die out, but those who are unable to adapt.

This is a common misunderstanding of Darwin's theory.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wanna

If it does get iOS 6 it would most certainly be the last usage it gets. I doubt it will get it though, they need to motivate all those origional iPad users to buy a new one. IOS 6 would also be very close to the end of 3 years which is the general life of an apple product.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    These are amazing deals.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Apple will certainly find takers at these prices, but the cuts aren't really enough. The iPad 2 is roughly twice the original iPad and the new iPad roughly twice that. By those standards, the original iPad should be selling for about $125.

Looked at another way, the original iPad will no longer supported by iOS upgrades or by the latest and greatest apps about two years sooner. Divide $200 by 730 and you find it will cost about 27 cents a day to avoid that too-soon forced upgrade.

Or from another perspective, these are the per-day costs of a enjoying a much sharper display and a much snapper response based on different upgrade times.
    • Keep for one year: 200/365 or 55 cents a day.

• Keep for two years:: 200/730 or 27 cents a day.

• Keep for three years: 200/1095 or 18 cents a day.

And that's not factoring in that the new iPad will have a higher resell value. Assume that value is a mere $100, and all those daily costs are cut in half.

I've ordered the new iPad and I suspect I'll keep it for at least three years. And I imagine the difference will be worth a lot more than 18 cents a day.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien

Your first paragraph is not how companies determine market price. Price is determined based on market value, not performance or any other spec.

Look at Intel's chips. When you get to the high end, prices go up rapidly for even a tiny increase in performance.

More to the point, perceived value is about what you can do with the device, not specs. Take the iPad. Perhaps I have an iPad for myself and want to get one for a wife or kids. They don't need anything fancy and will never use the performance of the third, or even second, generation iPad. The original iPad is more than sufficient. So for that purpose, the original iPad meets 100% of the requirements but at just over half the price. Why not buy the first generation?

And resale value is not a very useful argument. Very few people think of resale value when they buy consumer electronics.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    As an owner of a launch/release day 16GB Wi-Fi 1st Gen iPad, I think it's amazing how well the device has held up. In fact, aside from some software being made only compatible with the iPad2 (looking at you, iPhoto), I still feel like I have a viable, fresh tablet PC. I still use it every single day, despite also owning an iPhone 4S and a 13" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple could sell it for less. What Apple should do though, is sell a discontented iPad 2 for $299.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple could sell it for less. What Apple should do though, is sell a discontented iPad 2 for $299.

They could, but why should they when they know it will sell out at this price even faster than a new Android tablet? This is $100 cheaper than T-Mobile's price for the Galaxy Tab and still wipes the floor with it.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Should? Based on what?

I'm sorry, but your selfish desire to buy cheaper products does not override Apple's obligation to maximize shareholder value.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

What Apple should do though, is sell a discontented iPad 2 for $299.

I'd personally be discontented if they sold the iPad 2 at $299. That's just dumb to me. There's no sense in pretending an eReader is tablet competition. And the iPad is already going to kill off absolutely everything else anyway; why should Apple forgo more profit when people will pay it and it's not extortion by any stretch of the imagination?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And resale value is not a very useful argument. Very few people think of resale value when they buy consumer electronics.

Perhaps not, as an aggregate of all CE buyer, but for those that are considering on selling their device ?typically a year later with Apple kit ? in order to buy the latest model its definitely something worth considering. Case in point, part of my decision for getting the AT&T iPad was because of the consistently higher resale value over Verizon.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

iPad 2 = iPad 2nd Gen

New iPad = iPad 3rd Gen

Newer iPad = iPad 4th Gen

We're just arguing semantics at that, I'm sure you get what I'm implying. Either way, I could see Apple going this route come next year. Just like the 3GS is perfectly fine for a lot of people, I could see next year the iPad 2 being just fine for many people.

It was written in jest, for Chrissakes (taking account some of the ribbing that Apple has taken for the naming scheme, know what I mean?)
  • Reply 39 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It is not the weak that die out, but those who are unable to adapt.

This is a common misunderstanding of Darwin's theory.

Isn't that basically the same thing though? If somebody is unable to adapt, then they are weak.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Isn't that basically the same thing though? If somebody is unable to adapt, then they are weak.

Darwinian theory has nothing to do with individual behavior. It's not about "someone" adapting or not. It's about species.