Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 181 of 425
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, it is just Apple "fudging" the numbers to look good. Since the items have not actually been sold (in the hands of the customer and Apple having their cash), it's the same as everyone else counting sold when it goes to the retailer. /s

Apple hasn't released numbers but their comments are based on actual orders by end users, not shipments to sit in the stores. They are Samsung after all
  • Reply 182 of 425
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The real irony is that the haters are encouraging the coverage by reading and commenting on he articles. Because it isn't really about Apple dominating the tech universe. It's about page hits. Websites make money off hits. Lover or hater doesn't matter, you still increased the counter. Anti android folks tend to ignore those articles, but Apple loversa nd haters are hitting the Apple articles. So when your cash is from hits, which subject are you going to go with. Apple of course

Well that, and the fact that Apple is big anyway. If everybody who every used an iOS device hit on a website about Apple, CNET would get LOADS OF MONEY anyway. The haters are sugar on the pie.
  • Reply 183 of 425
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Apple hasn't released numbers but their comments are based on actual orders by end users, not shipments to sit in the stores. They are Samsung after all

thats true, in fact I don't know if stores - outside the Apple store - will have any.
  • Reply 184 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Less stock in stores makes no sense. Apple is huge into the visual marketing thing and nothing shows and breeds demand like a news story with video and pictures showing mobs of people waiting outside of an Apple store.

With the ability to pre-order and pick up in the store on launch day they will still have the lines.
  • Reply 185 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I ordered mine early in the afternoon the day it was announced, and yet my order status is "Preparing for shipment", and "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping". I see where others have a tracking number and can track their iPad. What's up with my order?

My 2 orders said the same thing, however this morning (Sunday) it was picked up by FedEx and scheduled for delivery March 16. It looks like it was sitting at the Ontario Airport; maybe part of the "secret shipments" that were rumored a few days back. There is a notation "future delivery requested," so I assume it is at one of FedEx's warehouses. My delivery person told me 2 weeks ago they are expecting an additional 500 deliveries (in the Palm Springs area) on Friday
  • Reply 186 of 425
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Some of the people standing in line on Friday will be employees of Microsoft, RIM, HP, Samsung, etc. They'll buy one of each version and rush them back to their labs. ifixit will have detailed tear-down pics by noon.

Surely they pre-ordered this past Wednesday. Why would they stand in line? I'm certain they bought some, as did the tech sites that deconstruct them. And I don't mean this in a mocking way. No matter how much Apple may insist otherwise, Apple engineers also buy competitors' tablets, even if only to see how far behind the competitors are. It's all part of the process, and despite statements to the contrary, it matters. And we all benefit from it in the end.

Ah, competition. It's a good thing.

...is it Friday yet?
  • Reply 187 of 425
    I love the new additions to the latest iPad and I love the fact that it will still fit in my iBackFlip Somersault sling pack. this thing is awesome and I couldn't part with it! If you have never seen it check them out at ibackflip.com !
  • Reply 188 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Considering that most people just use a computer for the Internet, for email, and for looking at movies and pictures you could say exactly the same thing about laptops though.

It's really just plain old snobbery to use that "Well they can't use it for serious computing ..." line.

Shaun is a snob and if you aren't recoding the security systems at Fort Knox etc you are serious'. He also forgets that the iPad wasn't made for such users. It was made for the other 95%. The ones that, as you say, are just doing web mail etc.
  • Reply 189 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

My 2 orders said the same thing, however this morning (Sunday) it was picked up and scheduled for delivery March 16. It looks like it was sitting at the Ontario Airport; maybe part of the "secret shipments" that were rumored a few days back.

Standard shipping? As in, the US Postal Service, not UPS or FedEx? My iPad is currently in Ontario CA, shipping via FedEx.
  • Reply 190 of 425
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where was that?

I've never seen anything but Apple leading the way thru 2015. None of the the MS-based mobile devices are seeing much in the way of success. They even lost more market share in smartphones this last quarter according to articles here at AI. In tablets they're non-existent for practical purposes.

What they are talking about I'd Microsofts coming tablet platform whatever it is called. At the moment it seems to be the only viable attempt at an iPad competitor. Android is so bad that it makes crap look like a pizza pie.
  • Reply 191 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And, without giving anything away,

and then you do give it away. What next, are you going to tell us he was dead the whole time.
  • Reply 192 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Don't compare people buying iPads to those degenerates buying Nikes and stabbing each other while waiting on line and rioting like a bunch of animals.

Ripped off fingers, riots. Apple gets their share
  • Reply 193 of 425
    [QUOTE=Shaun, UK;2069071]"... Maybe "toy" is juvenile - it's an entertainment device shall we say. Which as you say is probably what most people use their computers at home for anyway.."

Then you better let: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, 35% of doctors surveyed in the EU (1,207 physicians in the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, and Italy about their iPad use. Among the respondents, 26% said they own an iPad and spend 27% of their professional online time using the device), AMC of USAF (refueling for AF Transport planes), adoption by schools from kindergarten through University level....that they are dealing with a toy!

Sounds like my uncle, a geezer who is convinced of what he is convinced of, the facts notwithstanding. One of his fav quotes is "Don't bug me with your junk science, boy, I've been in business longer than you've been alive." (followed by a smile of knowingness.'

"..but it?s nice to wind up all the radical fanbois on here once in a while. It stops them howling at the moon instead..."

If you're here to 'wind up' "radical fanbois" then talking real info about technology is like peeing in the ocean. Nothing changes, and you definitely have time on your hands to spend it 'winding up people.'
  • Reply 194 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

iPad market share has fallen from 95% at launch to 56% today,

yes but that is because the total units in the market went up

And its 56% iPad and 44% split across something like 100 other tablets
  • Reply 195 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What they are talking about I'd Microsofts coming tablet platform whatever it is called. At the moment it seems to be the only viable attempt at an iPad competitor. Android is so bad that it makes crap look like a pizza pie.

Neither Gartner nor IDC are giving them much respect. Neither of them see MS with more than 10% share in tablet sales 3 years from now.
  • Reply 196 of 425
    I'm sitting here right now with my iPad 1 running 5.1 and all I have to say is it is fantastic. It just all around runs better, smoother and hardly ever a crash. It for a moment had me wondering if I really wanted to upgrade, but then the allure of all those improvements won me over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SavedByTechnology View Post

I sold my iPad 1 32GB 3G to my 70-year old mother for $200 last week. She's been wanting one, and $200 was a lot better than $300 for a refurbished 16GB wifi model. And she wouldn't take it for nothing since she knew I was upgrading to the 'New iPad'.

Anyhow, went up yesterday to see how she liked it "WONDERFUL!!!" and updated it to iOS 5.1, and the thing is running better than at any time I ever had it! Even Infinity Blade plays fine without crashing She loves the fact that she can show off her grandkids, surf the web and email...the basic stuff, which the original iPad is great for. Glad to see it found a happy home. Now I'm having iPad withdrawal symptoms and have to wait until Friday for the new one

• Reply 197 of 425
    Quote:

won't happen. Apple has contracts for the shipments to be held until the 16th

I wonder why.

I having new iPads in their stores beginning March 16th, but I don't understand why Apple doesn't start immediately delivering them to people who pre-ordered. I understand the appeal of having a unified "launch day" but I think it makes even more sense to get new iPads in people's hands immediately, especially since pre-orders sold out. This would drive even more people to Apple Stores on launch day to try and get their hands on them.

I don't remember how long the lines for the iPad 2 were on its launch day, but lines for the new iPad will be longer. They won't be as crazy as iPhone lines were.

Come to think of it, I don't remember what iPhone 4S lines were like. I waited in line on the launch day of the iPhone 4, and those lines were insane. I'd never seen anything like it.
  • Reply 198 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

If you would get off your high horse for a minute and actually read my post you will see that I didn't say that people "can't" use it for serious computing. I said they "won't" use it for serious computing. Why? Because many of them are not buying it as a computer, they're buying as a toy to play games on, or read eBooks, or look at their photos, or whatever. That's why it's not a post-PC device because most people are not using it as a PC. They probably already have a PC they use for whatever you use a computer for and then they use the iPad for entertainment. Personally I don't really give a s*** what people use it for.

Would you classify digital picture frames and ebook readers as toys?

While I use my iMac for "serious" work, programming and video development, in my office. I find my iPad frees me from taking my Macbook when I travel. I can keep up to date with the latest training - PDFs and Videos, reply to customers through email, talk with colleagues through Skype. I also write PseudoCode on the iPad.

So, while I may not be doing the heaviest work on the iPad, it's far more than just a toy.
  • Reply 199 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Well that, and the fact that Apple is big anyway. If everybody who every used an iOS device hit on a website about Apple, CNET would get LOADS OF MONEY anyway. The haters are sugar on the pie.

Yes but for every hit an Apple or Android lover gives to an appropriate article, there are five hater hits on th Apple ones. Making Apple more lucrative. The haters haven't figured out that they need to learn to ignore Apple stuff and not skew the hits. Then the balance will settle itself
  • Reply 200 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Same here except that I've never owned any version of the iPad until this one. Ordered a white 32g 4G Thursday afternoon and received my Tracking Number yesterday. Scheduled for a Friday delivery

I may be late for work Friday night!