Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 425
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Response on my iPad 1st generation, 16GB model with 5.1 is a noticable improvement in all applications.

iBooks is solid and the loading of large volumes is improved significantly enough to make it worth noting [I'm talking 1000 page+ documents].

GLView Test results for OpenGL ES 1.1, Scene: Cube

Fog: On, Transparency: On, Format: RGBA8, Multisampling: On, Mipmap: On.

Frames per second: 43.8 fps.

Add Anisotropic Filtering: 1

Frames per second: 45.3 fps.

Safari: Loading a page like the HuffingtonPost front page where it has around 700kb of Javascript pre-loaded, and smart prefetching where images don't fully load before you can scroll takes all of 7 seconds on the iPad revision 1.

Running under Firefox 10 takes more time on my Linux workstation which has a lot more raw power.

Safari and the latest WebKit for mobile is well tuned. The Javascript performance increases are very noticable.

Out of 176 applications installed I have only seen a couple dozen updates after the release of iOS 5.1. I expect to be buried with updates in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like I need to update "my" iPad 1, once I find a chance to prior it out of my wife's hands...

I am, however, happy to report that battery life on my iPhone 3GS is greatly improved with the upgrade to 5.1 - yesterday with 12 hrs of standby (wi-fi was turned on, but not connected to any hotspots) the battery indicator dropped by only 27%. Prior to the update I was getting around 3%-4%/hr battery drop in the same non-usage scenario (the update to 4.1.2 or was it 4.2.1 really messed up the battery life).

As for my wife's iPhone 4, I'm not sure but my wife hasn't complained so I assume things are going well. With 5.0.0/5.0.1 she was running into a weird problem where the phone would "hang" on incoming calls (wouldn't be able to answer the call) and would also stop receiving SMS when data was switched off, hopefully this is resolved with 5.1.
  • Reply 422 of 425
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

the least i can say is iPad 1 is running smoother on 5.1.

Thanks for the response. Our iPad 1 is running quite well on 5.0.1 so I wasn't expecting there to be much of a gain with 5.1, especially since Apple didn't "advertise" any performance improvements with 5.1. It looks like my assumptions were wrong.
  • Reply 423 of 425
    Hi I am Shanu I want to function in ipad Actully I want purches ipad but I am not work in fuction in perfectile rafting in rishikesh
  • Reply 424 of 425
    Passed the Apple store on the way home. Lots of tents and people braving the cold tonight.

For all the press that called the iPad disappointing, prepare to eat crow...again.
  • Reply 425 of 425
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    There was no one in front of my local Apple store yesterday, but I bet there is quite the line up now. There was quite a looooong line in front the store fore the iPhone 4s.