Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 41 of 425
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple does not use words like "off the charts" lightly. We are looking at potential blowout sales. I expect we'll see a pop in AAPL this week and more buzz out of Cupertino on the demand

Looks like a very strong quarter

Nah. The stock market isn't logical.

It's more likely that the analysts will say something like "there are a few people on the planet who haven't ordered an iPad, so you should sell your Apple stock."
  • Reply 42 of 425
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    On Friday 9th March, the delivery date of the 3rd generation iPad on Singapore Apple Online Store already slipped to 22nd March. As of now 11th March, the delivery lead time has slipped to 2-3 weeks. Any further surge in demand in Singapore, it is possible that the pre-orders may halt which happened to several previous Apple product launches - eg. iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 43 of 425
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Some of the people standing in line on Friday will be employees of Microsoft, RIM, HP, Samsung, etc. They'll buy one of each version and rush them back to their labs. ifixit will have detailed tear-down pics by noon.

Why would Samsung do that as they already supply the soc, memory and display (and maybe even more) ?

Not to offend everyone, but you're buying a samsung device with apple os and apple quality standards during production and assembly.
  • Reply 44 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And they did something in the US at least that wasn't available before and that was the in store pickup so they will still have their lines for the press. But I'm thinking this year perhaps the stock was slanted more 70/30 in favor of preorders than waiting. Some stores may not have any stock of a unit available on Friday to just walk in (or reserve if they start that option right off) because the online orders to pick up took all of them. And I'm not sure that Apple is really worried about folks being a bit peeved since they are careful to say first come, first serve, supplies not guaranteed. And they know folks will wait.

I'm not sure having less stock in stores makes the most business sense. There might be a completely valid rhyme and reason that I'm not seeing... but, by definition, I'm not seeing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I would actually like for Microsoft and Google to succeed as that's when Apple does it's best work. There's an extra push that only comes from having strong competitors.

So far the iPad has had no competition and it's improved drastically in the last two years. I think the desire to keep competition from getting remotely close is enough to stimulate innovation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where did you see a projection that Windows-based tablets were going to have more market-share than those using Android anytime soon? Simply curious since it had nothing to do with the previous post nor the one it replied to.

Android is no competition to Apple in the tablet market for now, and it will be several years before they approach 50% share based on some projections. I must have missed the one that said Microsoft was going to dominate the tablet space, pushing Apple to the side.

1) There are plenty of articles and blogs that are making such claims. I don't recall anyone noteworthy or any claim that is worthy of repeating but they are out there.

2) Since I know of no such claims about Win8 tablets overtaking the iPad I noted the claims of Win8 overtaking Android tablets.

3) I don't think Win8 has much of a chance. It's certainly nicer than Android and there are plenty of great features in Metro but it's too little too late. It's like WinPh compared to iOS for iPhone except the gap between Win8?Metro and iOS for iPad is even greater... and I still have yet to see how Win8 performs on a full functional ARM-based tablet. If it can't get 10 hours of battery life from the same basic HW and be as good in price if not cheaper there is a problem. On top of that it's not like Windows previous control where apps will work the same across PCs. It's a new UI that requires new apps so this Windows Everywhere mantra is ridiculously misguided.
  • Reply 45 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Why would Samsung do that as they already supply the soc, memory and display (and maybe even more) ?

Not to offend everyone, but you're buying a samsung device with apple os and apple quality standards during production and assembly.

So Samsung builds and designs some of the components and so ALL the HW is now something Samsung has their hands on? How the frak does that make sense?

Very little of the HW appears to be from Samsung. Even if the assemble the A5X chip most of it isn't from Samsung just like Foxconn assembling the iPad doesn't mean that it's a Foxconn iPad.

Where did you get the idea that the IPS LCD is a Samsung display? All evidence points to LG being the inventors backed by Apple's investment with multiple foundries used to assemble the displays.

There are literally dozens of companies from many countries supplying something to the iPad but you think it makes sense to single out what Apple hires Samsung to supply and say it's a Samsung device? Really?!

PS: It's simply amazing the lengths some of you will go to claim a company is pathetic and pointless. No CE is built in a bubble.
  • Reply 46 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I ordered mine early in the afternoon the day it was announced, and yet my order status is "Preparing for shipment", and "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping". I see where others have a tracking number and can track their iPad. What's up with my order?

I have a similar timeline...

I eventually managed to get an order through about 4 hours after the keynote - the apple store was major bogged down. Even the first time that I managed to get the shopping cart to acknowledge, I had 3 iPads and 6 itvs - I debated if I should just buy it as-is, but didn't (although I did try and it wanted me to remove an iPad)... I cleared out my cart, and it took another 1/2 hour to get 1 iPad & 1 itv as I wanted... My orders are:

iPad preparing for shipment, delivers 16-20 march standard shipping

Itv processing item, ships 16-19 march

Hoping for no significant delays...
  • Reply 47 of 425
    Quote:

Maybe Samsung should hire Apple to make their Galaxy Tabs less lame, then?
  • Reply 48 of 425
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

That's insane.

First, there's the little matter of design - which Samsung had nothing to do with.

Then, there's the matter of software - which Samsung also had nothing to do with.

It's funny how the Apple haters never seem to understand the concept of a product being more than a bucket full of specifications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure having less stock in stores makes the most business sense. There might be a completely valid rhyme and reason that I'm not seeing... but, by definition, I'm not seeing it.

There isn't any reason. The Apple haters just can't understand the concept of lots of people actually wanting to buy a product, so they imagine artificial shortages.
  • Reply 49 of 425
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't wait to hear from all the Apple haters who insisted that it would be a failure because of the name.

Yeah while Apple fanboys will be laughing their way to the bank - as the stock price continues to skyrocket into the outer universe.

I love it.
  • Reply 50 of 425
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't wait to hear from all the Apple haters who insisted that it would be a failure because of the name.

The haters over at c|net are absolutely livid over the positive iPad coverage there. In fact they are livid that c|net covers Apple at all and some are "threatening" to boycott c|net if the Apple coverage isn't dialed back significantly. Yes, that's how delusional they are. They cannot accept the fact that Apple exists let alone that Apple is now dominating the tech universe.

Go take a look at a recent article criticizing Android email apps as inconsistent with multiple versions and features that may or may not work properly across hardware and servers. The author then compares the consistent iOS email app. The responses are pretty vicious. Some seem to be on the verge of stroking out. Funnier than watching circus clowns with big shoes running around smacking each other with balloons (cudos to the Macalope over at MacWorld for that mental picture)!
  • Reply 51 of 425
    I have a feeling that many of those pre-orders that shipped last week were custom orders (like engraving) that needed extra time to travel from China. My pre-order, a black 64 GB iPad with no engraving was likely being warehoused locally, and it shipped this morning from Pennsylvania on its way to New Jersey.
  • Reply 52 of 425
    Quote:

You're not offending us. You're making us laugh at you.
  • Reply 53 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The haters over at c|net are absolutely livid over the positive iPad coverage there. In fact they are livid that c|net covers Apple at all and some are "threatening" to boycott c|net if the Apple coverage isn't dialed back significantly. Yes, that's how delusional they are. They cannot accept the fact that Apple exists let alone that Apple is now dominating the tech universe.

Go take a look at a recent article criticizing Android email apps as inconsistent with multiple versions and features that may or may not work properly across hardware and servers. The author then compares the consistent iOS email app. The responses are pretty vicious. Some seem to be on the verge of stroking out. Funnier than watching circus clowns with big shoes running around smacking each other with balloons (cudos to the Macalope over at MacWorld for that mental picture)!

Do you have a link?

AnandTech is pretty bad, too. So many old school PC users that can't accept that building your machine is dying out. When AT reviewed the iPhone 4S many were livid over so much attention being given to an Apple product when AT doesn't put that much effort into every.... single... Android device. AT will give a very thorough review to many flagship Android phones but they can't do them all and Apple only has one phone per year (15 months on the last one). It'sone thing to not like a product but at least be reasonable about it. edit:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asshat Commenter

[Why can't] we have reviews as detailed as this for the really big name Android phones? They are always far less detailed and lack a lot of the testing put into this.... thing....

Apple makes a few adjustments, tweaks a few things, adds in the same processor that's in the iPad 2, and we have a highly detailed, scientific review that covers every single aspect, even if said aspects are the same. Samsung releases a new phone that has overall better features, faster CPU, faster NAND, a different and arguably better (or at least equal) screen, and mums the word?

The bias is getting a bit out of hand at this point... We get that you're big time Apple fans, but cmon... At least do a major review of this caliber for the Droid RAZR and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (LTE on AT&T!). Even if you combine them into one review, just make it THIS detailed for once instead of giving Apple the huge, super detailed ultra review!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anand Lal Shimpi

I believe we did just that for the Galaxy S 2 review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-...

We don't have the RAZR, Galaxy Nexus or S2 Skyrocket, but we typically do a deep dive whenever there's a new platform transition or something truly unique to look at.

Take care,

Anand

• Reply 54 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

1) There are plenty of articles and blogs that are making such claims. I don't recall anyone noteworthy or any claim that is worthy of repeating but they are out there.

2) Since I know of no such claims about Win8 tablets overtaking the iPad I noted the claims of Win8 overtaking Android tablets.

I would say you're mistaken. I really don't think there are "plenty of articles and blogs" predicting Microsoft-based tablets will overtake those using Android anytime soon Soli. I think you may have misunderstood what you've seen. Let me know if you find a reputable one.

There's an article here with projections from Gartner and IDC. Neither of them see Microsoft overtaking Android tablet share, and both see Apple leading at least thru 2014.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...t-gartner-ipad
  • Reply 55 of 425
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The big mystery is how many iPads did they have reserved for Preorder. If iPad 3 has been in production since December we could be talking 5 million preorders sold. That is assuming 15 million produced for launch which isn't out of the ball park. That would give them about ten million to distribute through stores at launch.

In case you are wondering I'm using a production count of 15 million a quarter, for 60 million a year. To be honest though I could see them making 20 million for launch just to try to deal with the weeks of out of stock issues they have had in the past.

Considering they sold 15 millions in 2011 Q4, if they really sell 15 millions in 2 weeks including ipad2 sales it would be very good for the stock at the next earnings in april.

I am hoping they did pile up a nice amount of the new iPad. But imo its more like 10 millions then 15 millions.
  • Reply 56 of 425
    Quote:

Do you have a link?

AnandTech is pretty bad, too. So many old school PC users that can't accept that building your machine is dying out. When AT reviewed the iPhone 4S many were livid over so much attention being given to an Apple product when AT doesn't put that much effort into every.... single... Android device. AT will give a very thorough review to many flagship Android phones but they can't do them all and Apple only has one phone per year (15 months on the last one). It'sone thing to not like a product but at least be reasonable about it.

Sorry...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57...ol;editorPicks
  • Reply 57 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would say you're mistaken. I really don't think there are "plenty of articles and blogs" predicting Microsoft-based tablets will overtake those using Android anytime soon Soli. I think you may have misunderstood what you've seen. Let me know if you find a reputable one.

1) I know what I read.

2) I never said they were reputable (or rational or sane or grounded or fair or balanced or objective).
  • Reply 58 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

1) I know what I read.

2) I never said they were reputable (or rational or sane or grounded or fair or balanced or objective).

That's fine. I simply suggested you misunderstood what you read. It's happens to all of us. Knowing how you like to be accurate I'm sure you've already tried to find something to link and came up empty. Your statement "So far the only predictions about Win8-based tablets I've read is that they will beat out Android-based tablets." doesn't seem very likely. Perhaps you really meant it in jest.

Anyway, I see all other competitors struggling to answer Apple's iPad for a long time to come. It was an Apple created market, and Apple convinced us we needed one with exceptionally effective marketing. Anyone else trying to compete will have the added difficulty of explaining why we need theirs instead of Apple's. That's gonna be a tough sell.
  • Reply 59 of 425
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Curious whether the new display will improve screen visibility outdoors?

Also, bloodbath sequel now underway.
  • Reply 60 of 425
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

It went from a "delivery" date of March 16 to a "ship" date of March 19. Since it takes roughly 5-7 days to be delivered from Shenzhen, China, it's about a two week slip.

Mine has a shipping date of 3/19 with a delivery date of 3/21. They must be coming from a domestic central holding place in US. As mine is not etched they're would no need for an individual iPad from China. Cook appears to have improved the points of delivery.