Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 81 of 425
    I know everyone (Apple & Media) is saying that the iPad will deliver on March 16, but UPS is scheduling my delivery for March 12. I did order mine at 3:00 pm west coast time last Wednesday. Took me around 3 hours just to order it because apples servers were running so slow that day! I did find it easier for myself to use the Apple Store App than the Mac using Safari.
  • Reply 82 of 425
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Is it really millions of fanboys lining up to purchase the latest gadget for bragging rights? That may be the case for a very small minority, but most of us just like using the device and know that updates just make the experience better.

The real truth of the matter is that the technology used in handheld devices is growing by leaps and bounds every single year. So, to stay current, most people are on an upgrade cycle of 1-2 years. Which is great for Apple and the industry as a whole. I currently use an original iPad, i put off purchasing the iPad 2 because I knew the retina display was coming. But now, my iPad is showing it's age, which is amazing for a device that is only 2 years old. But that just goes to show how much the technology is changing.

Before the original iPhone, who cared about 3G or LTE? Did you know what the resolution of the screen was on your phone? Did you know what processor is used or how much memory it had? Apple brought to general public the realization that the simple device that everyone was carrying was capable of more than just phone calls, texting, downloading ringtones, and if you had a top of the line product, bare bones email.

Yes, every update after the original release is going to be an incremental update, companies do not redefine a genre every time they release an updated product. The new iPad, better screen resolution, faster processor and graphics, utilizing current top of the line wireless technology around the world (even though there isn't a standard yet). What more do you want from an update, a stylus?
  • Reply 83 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

B.T.W. I'm holding a customer's Galaxy Tab 7.7 in my hand right now, with Samsung Equinox soc and 1280x800 super amoled+ (197pp) screen, samsung design casing, and it's some serious stuff. They've got their dual-core A15 ready as well, which I would have love to have seen in the new Ipad

Yeah, and it has all sorts of terrible apps of which very few takes advantage of tablets.
  • Reply 84 of 425
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

I'm holding a customer's Galaxy Tab 7.7 in my hand right now, with Samsung Equinox soc and 1280x800 super amoled+ (197pp) screen, samsung design casing, and it's some serious stuff. They've got their dual-core A15 ready as well, which I would have love to have seen in the new Ipad

I love how you completely omit the OS it's running. Pity such fantastic hardware is hobbled by an operating system straight out of the dark ages.
  • Reply 85 of 425
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely they must be buying multiple iPads to make it look like they are selling better¡

I C whut U did thar!

obviously the trolls don't get it
  • Reply 86 of 425
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where was that?

I've never seen anything but Apple leading the way thru 2015. None of the the MS-based mobile devices are seeing much in the way of success. They even lost more market share in smartphones this last quarter according to articles here at AI. In tablets they're non-existent for practical purposes.

Ha Ha just depends on "which pundits" you read about. Lol there were a ton of them saying the "new iPad is a mediocre upgrade and still are saying it one even said that the windows 8 pads were going to put the "new iPad" to shame its funny really how distant from reality some of these bloggers are
  • Reply 87 of 425
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

3) I don't think Win8 has much of a chance. It's certainly nicer than Android and there are plenty of great features in Metro but it's too little too late. It's like WinPh compared to iOS for iPhone except the gap between Win8?Metro and iOS for iPad is even greater... and I still have yet to see how Win8 performs on a full functional ARM-based tablet. If it can't get 10 hours of battery life from the same basic HW and be as good in price if not cheaper there is a problem. On top of that it's not like Windows previous control where apps will work the same across PCs. It's a new UI that requires new apps so this Windows Everywhere mantra is ridiculously misguided.

Win8 on tablets is a bet-the-company move for Microsoft. If they fail here, they will be hard-pressed to find avenues to maintain growth or at least minimize the rate of contraction.

Unfortunately for them, they have no recent history of success to really build on. Their biggest recent innovations are things like the Kinect, which hasn't really been a catalyst for meaningful growth in the Xbox world.

The one thing that Microsoft has in their favor is desktop inertia and the "nascent" tablet market relative to it in the enterprise. If the products that really differentiate its capabilities don't make it out mid-year though, it could be game over.
  • Reply 88 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Why can't you be happy without feeling that you are somehow better than other people? Why do you imagine that preferring one company's products makes you somehow a better person?

Anybody can join your club. Owning a product doesn't make you a better person.

why do people who only want to belittle Apple waste their time here. Seems very foolish to me
  • Reply 89 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I'm not surprised. The retina display is a huge difference, one which is tangible to consumers.

NO THIS CANT BE ITS a MEDIOCRE UPGRADE AT BEST

(sarcasm intended)

I got to see one of them and the retina display is drop dead gorgeous.
  • Reply 90 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Maybe they should get some credit for playing such a big role as well ?

I certainly give them the credit they are due but it's still not an Samsung device just as who refines the steel ore for car (which accounts for nearly all the weight and component costs) does mean it's their car. They are just one of many companies that are hired by the customer to perform a duty or sell a product. Does an Oscar winning writer owe his career to the PC he used to write his screenplay? I don't think so even though that machine likely made his writing easier.

Quote:

B.T.W. I'm holding a customer's Galaxy Tab 7.7 in my hand right now, with Samsung Equinox soc and 1280x800 super amoled+ (197pp) screen, samsung design casing, and it's some serious stuff.

That is the non-PenTile display. It's very good all around. It does best the iPad's HiDPI display but when you get to a certain point you don't have to. It's not Retina Display level but it's close enough that anyone using it will likely be very satisfied with the image.

Quote:

They've got their dual-core A15 ready as well, which I would have love to have seen in the new Ipad

Not in any shipping product. I know of no one that is shipping anything Cortex-A15 at the moment. The closest is Qualcomm's Krait but that's an intermediary design and not based on Cortex-A15.

Because of the number of units Apple sells they will usually be behind other vendors who sell only a fraction of the units for newly produced chips. An exception is with their GPUs and displays but they are investing a lot to get rights to these products.
  • Reply 91 of 425
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Ha Ha just depends on "which pundits" you read about. Lol there were a ton of them saying the "new iPad is a mediocre upgrade and still are saying it one even said that the windows 8 pads were going to put the "new iPad" to shame its funny really how distant from reality some of these bloggers are

To be fair, Gatorguy appears to get his news from Rob Enderle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

why do people who only want to belittle Apple waste their time here. Seems very foolish to me

I've been saying that for many years.

It makes sense that people who like a product would spend their time talking with others who like the product to learn about rumors or features that they might not have been aware of.

But for someone to go out of their way and spend a lot of time intentionally going to a web site that's about a product they don't use, don't like, and have no interest in is surely a sign of mental illness.
  • Reply 92 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Franky, we don't care. Thanks anyway.

Then why bother replying?
  • Reply 93 of 425
    No suprise, this is my first order of apple prelease product.
  • Reply 94 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

To be fair, Gatorguy appears to get his news from Rob Enderle.

I guess you chose to ignore my PM. No biggie.

I've never felt the iPad would be anything but successful
  • Reply 95 of 425
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Surely they must be buying multiple iPads to make it look like they are selling better¡

Actually, it is just Apple "fudging" the numbers to look good. Since the items have not actually been sold (in the hands of the customer and Apple having their cash), it's the same as everyone else counting sold when it goes to the retailer. /s
  • Reply 96 of 425
    Quote:

Why would Samsung do that as they already supply the soc, memory and display (and maybe even more) ?

Not to offend everyone, but you're buying a samsung device with apple os and apple quality standards during production and assembly.

Your lack of knowledge astounds! The A5X is most certainly not samsungs chip. It is a custom asic designed by apple based on the arm core but with a ton of custom add ons inside. Apple designs the guts to the processor and samsung manufactures it. That is the only involvement samsung has nothing more. They DO NOT design the A5X. Samsung is an OEM manufacturer, that is all not a designer. Apple owns all of the rights to the chips they use because they custom build the prototypes the send them to an oem like samsung for mass production. So are you going to say that the new GOBI chip from qualcomm for 4G is a samsung chip? Because samsung manufactures them for qualcomm? I can point to hundreds of other cases just like this. How about the Xbox 360? Is it an IBM system because IBM manufactures the main Power PC processor inside? How about the Playstation 3? Is it an IBM Playstation because IBM Manufactures the Cell Processor inside? Because the Cell is a custom collaboration of power pc between IBM and Sony?

How about the noise cancellation part of the A5X is that samsungs too, does it matter that apple licenses that tech and incorporates it in all of there A series chips?

I could go on about other parts of all of apple products like this all day but you get the point.

Samsung is nothing more than an OEM manufacturer in this regard. They don't own the design to anything inside of any iDevice except maybe the memory, and maybe some of the display tech but apple has a huge hand in the display tech design too.

OEM manufacturers are just that ... companies with the manufacturing facilities to build soc's and asic's

nothing more. If that was not the case why is samsung not using the A5X in there phones and pads?

BECAUSE IT IS NOT THERE TECHNOLOGY. PERIOD. They were contracted to mass manufacture them to Apples specs. Period.

Look to add despite apple and samsungs legal wranglings aside .....Apple is a 8 to 10 Billion dollar OEM Customer to samsung per year But that is the extent of there involvement, like other posts here have said do we give credit to U.S. Steel for making the steel in our cars and say they built them no.

They made the material the car was made out of but not the car. If you look outside electronics you will find that there are literally thousands of "support" or OEM manufacturers that support the main companies that build all of the products all of us use worldwide on a daily basis, but that does not mean that the OEM manufacturers design those products they just help mass manufacture parts for those products to OEM specs. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) (Apple in this Case) designs and engineers the product then has someone else build the components that has the facilities to do so.
  • Reply 97 of 425
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    No surprise at all! Anybody with a half a brain saw this coming.

Unfortunately many people are apparently missing normal, functioning brains.

And it's not just iPad 1 owners and people who don't have iPads who have ordered. I believe that many people who already have iPad 2's have also ordered the new one. I certainly did!

This is no small upgrade, like some clueless morons claim. It is a major, major upgrade, featuring a mind blowing screen that has never before existed on any consumer device.

It's going to be a terrible year for Fandroids all over the world! Isn't that great?
  • Reply 98 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Because it is about ports, cores, Ghz and a dozen other things 90% of the buying public does not care about.

They don't care about it because they don't understand it. I agree, 90% of the iPad buyers are clueless about computers which is why iPad is perfect for them. It allows them to get on Facebook. What else do they need?

In the past with their office computer when they couldn't figure out how to do something they just assumed it was because they are clueless. They would never suspect the device itself could be to blame for lack of functionality. They have learned not to blame their computer because whenever they had suggested something like that in the past, an IT person would embarrass them by showing them that the problem was that they just don't know what the hell they are doing.

Ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 99 of 425
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

I think your numbers are very low. The original iPad in 2010 sold 300k units in the first day. They also sold 1 million units in just under a month. Let's not forget this was still an unknown product category with only a handful of iPad designed apps for the App Store, with the 3G models not hitting the shelves until nearly a month after the WiFi models went on sale. I think a couple million the first weekend is more likely.

If they sold 15 Million units last quarter and the ipad 2 has already been out for a while, i don't think that 25 Mil units for the next full quarter is out of line. If they sell more, even better for Apple.
  • Reply 100 of 425
    Quote:

I'm not sure having less stock in stores makes the most business sense. There might be a completely valid rhyme and reason that I'm not seeing... but, by definition, I'm not seeing it.

So far the iPad has had no competition and it's improved drastically in the last two years. I think the desire to keep competition from getting remotely close is enough to stimulate innovation.

1) There are plenty of articles and blogs that are making such claims. I don't recall anyone noteworthy or any claim that is worthy of repeating but they are out there.

2) Since I know of no such claims about Win8 tablets overtaking the iPad I noted the claims of Win8 overtaking Android tablets.

3) I don't think Win8 has much of a chance. It's certainly nicer than Android and there are plenty of great features in Metro but it's too little too late. It's like WinPh compared to iOS for iPhone except the gap between Win8?Metro and iOS for iPad is even greater... and I still have yet to see how Win8 performs on a full functional ARM-based tablet. If it can't get 10 hours of battery life from the same basic HW and be as good in price if not cheaper there is a problem. On top of that it's not like Windows previous control where apps will work the same across PCs. It's a new UI that requires new apps so this Windows Everywhere mantra is ridiculously misguided.

It appears that "winnows everywhere" may be a better name for MS' mobile market share.