HELP! LOST Hard Drive space when burning a CD!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please Help!

I've been trying to back-up all the important apps, etc on my computer in preparation for installing Jaguar this weekend. (Currently have 10.1.5 installed on my old Beige G3 MiniTower)

I copied a bunch of apps to the icon on the desktop for the CD I wanted to burn, and when it was "preparing to burn" it was taking forever, plus I got the "spinning beachball of death". I left my computer alone for a while, but the beachball kept on spinning, so I did a FORCE restart. (Apple key/Option/Power)

When my computer restarted and was up and running again (the tray of my external burner spit out the CD while it computer was starting up)...and my hard drive LOST TONS of room! It's now a paltry 599 MB, when it was 1.07GB before I started to copy the apps onto the disc to burn. (I had copied about 580MB's of apps onto the disc to burn prior to the preparation stage beginning and it only got about 1/4 way through before it froze up)

Where did all that space go? How can I reclaim it? Nothing was at the burn stage on my CD.

These copied apps must be hidden somewhere on my computer, and I need to reclaim the space that they are invisibly hiding!

The whole idea was to try and get as much Hard Drive space on my old computer available so I can have room to install Jaguar! And we all know how anxious we've been to get Jaguar...please help!!! ;-)

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: barracuda ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I think you, or maybe Toast itself, made Toast think that it needed to make an image first, so now you probably have a giant broken image residing on your disk.

-

What you might try is the following:

perform a custom search with Sherlock for items with a size above, let's say, 100 megs. Then the stuff Toast created there should show up - the file might even reside in /Users/you/Documents -. If you're in doubt about the file name, try to see if the date created matches.

-

Let me know if it helps