Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

13567

Comments

  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    When looking at rumors like this, consider the source. Digitimes has a perfect record - zero correct out of 13 tracked rumors:

    http://stupidapplerumors.com/news/20...h-rumor-Report



    Of course, even the best of the conventional rumors sites are in the 20-25% range for accuracy. So the next time you see a rumor, flip a coin - you are twice as likely to be correct as the rumors sites.



    OTOH, some sites (WSJ and Bloomberg) are reasonably accurate. So, again, consider the source.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,495member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Digitimes has a perfect record - zero correct out of 13 tracked rumors:



    Oh, that's not true. DigiTimes has failed WAY more than 13 times.



    Quote:

    Of course, even the best rumors sites are in the 20-25% range for accuracy.



    Yeah, because we reblog DigiTimes' stuff…



    Is that enough DigiTimes ribbing, or can I keep going?
  • mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post


    If its true then Apple would have to supply a filer for us to file down our fingers to hold the "thinner" screen bezel without accidental touches.



    Other than that, if it is true, then it would mark the end of iPod touch or iPod classics.



    I am like others. I don't believe that there will ever be a smaller iPad. What I don't doubt Apple is working on is a larger iPod Touch to fill in that gap.



    What is the difference? The UI for an iPad cannot scale down well without, as others have said, filing down the size of a finger. The UI for the iPod Touch and iPhone however, can scale up and will actually make it easier to select controls since those controls will get larger. This being said though, I am not sure that I think they will move to a screen in the 7" range. Mainly because I see this being too large for an iPod. I could see them releasing something in the 5" range though.
  • robin huberrobin huber Posts: 2,740member
    Add a phone option for those who need a tablet and a phone and don't want to carry two devices. This would also leapfrog Android efforts to differentiate from iPhone by offering bigger screens. Wouldn't be MY choice, but could be attractive to others.
  • aaronsullivanaaronsullivan Posts: 101member
    I'm with Minnesota on this one.



    A smaller iPad just needs a solid use case for Apple to push it. At 7.85 I'd gather most of the iPad interface elements are large enough, though it is true that the web experience would certainly be diminished, requiring much more zooming and feeling a bit more like the iPhone/touch experience.



    However, put a solid 4S-style camera lens system on there (or better), maybe make the larger bezel on one side only and grippy(?). Make the volume up button longer for easier pressing and it becomes THE camera version of the iPad. Of course, it would be way more thought out than that little brainstorm, but it could find a new solid niche while still leaving room for the other guys.



    All this just to say that it's possible for Apple to make a successful and useful product in that category.



    That whole Steve Jobs quote about size of tablet gets brought up too much. Yes, he said it. Yes, he was using hyperbole to make his point. Yes, he was right about the iPad size (look at sales, for instance.) No, that doesn't mean he would have been against a smaller size if it had a purpose that made it the best in some category.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post


    Exactly the right specs: it would most likely be with you most of the time whereas the current iPad would not. The current iPads are too big, the iPhone is too small (for most anything but normal phone use).



    I'd be happy to pay $1000 or more for a 7" iPad that also has phone capabilities. To each, his/her own.



    Umm the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 is pretty fantastic, I just got one last Friday. It's not a iPad but you'll get a lot done on it regardless. You can use it as a phone, the screen is the best I have ever seen period, it includes a miniSD, it has DLNA to stream movies to your TV, HDMI, it's very fast and it costs $550. Before you say you hate Android, I'm going to have to ask if you've ever used one with Android 3.2 or 4.03. Especially a Samsung Galaxy, their quite neat but don't take my word for it go check it out your self. Even the Galaxy Note at 5.3" is outstanding, hands down the best cell phone on the market. However, I'm with you 7" is the perfect size for a tablet.



    If you do decide to go down this way give me private message and I can hook you up with everything you'll need to make the experience just divine. Trust me you will not be disappointed, they are really incredible tablets, man that screen.
  • carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Exactly, just like Apple gave the iPhone 3GS a complete internal redesign and the A4 chip and stopped selling the iPhone 4? oh, right.



    Forgive me, but I don't think they'll 'refresh the iPad 2' instead of dropping the price of the iPad 3.



    You're missing the point. Apple has made the iPad 2 available at $399 to cover a wider price range. The company's goal is not to keep lowering the price of the iPad. What I see happening is that Apple will offer two grades of iPad and by so doing appeal to a wider group.



    I don't understand why it is that you think this a strange foreign concept for Apple. For example, all of it's portable laptops, including the Air line, are set up along these lines. The iMac and Mac Mini come in different flavours as well.



    I don't see that Apple has anywhere to go once you are talking an ultra-high-resolution display and that pricey technology makes for a logical differentiator between the lower-cost range and the upscale range.



    I just picked up an iPad 2 yesterday and so far I'm happy with it. It would be an even better device if it were lighter but the screen, while not incredible, is entirely serviceable. I see no reason why Apple would stop offering such a resolution on a tablet within the next year, which is what you seem to be implying.



    Seems to me that what Apple has done is kept the $499 price point and used that for a state-of-the-art iPad and handled challenges from competitors looking to offer a cheaper option by making a $399 iPad available. I don't think Apple's goal is to be charging $399, within a year's time, for the iPad, even in it's most advanced form. This allows Apple to maintain a higher price point - very much what the company likes to do - while fending off the competition.



    Bottom line is lots of people would be perfectly happy to be using an iPad that doesn't have a spectacular resolution yet we're not talking a poor product. The iPad 2 is a decent, usable device, as evidenced by tremendous sales. There are millions of iPads out there not sporting a Retina display and millions more that consumers like me will be buying in the year ahead. There is a place for such a device today and likely the next few years.



    Yet Apple knows there is a market for a $499 tablet and has no intention of abandoning that price point. What I see happening next year is a refresh of the iPad 2 and a move to screen tech in the successor of the iPad 3 that will offer gains in weight and battery life. But I doubt Apple will just migrate the iPad 3 screen tech over to a $399 model because it would be much easier to achieve gains in weight and battery life in the lower-cost model by not trying to engineer in a Retina display all that quickly. There is no need. The screen tech on the current iPad 2 is viable. It was viable two months ago. It's viable today and it will remain viable next year. Millions have been using and will continue to use it without complaint. What's the problem with that?
  • kmareikmarei Posts: 67member
    other than the fact that Steve Jobs did not like the 7" size

    There is nothing wrong with it

    i have the Blackberry Playbook and i have never had an issue with the icons being too small or my finder touching multple icons.

    and no i have not filed down my fingers

    and before you all accuse me of being an android troll etc

    i use an iphone 4s and my main tablet is the ipad 2 (till friday when i get my ipad3)

    i just have the HP touchpad and the playbook as toys since i'm a geek



    keep in mind the 7" screen will probably have a resolution of 1024x768 (same as ipad and ipad2) so its a very easy fit, with no issues for developers supporting yet another setup.



    only issue is price

    the 16Gb ipod touch is 299

    and the 16Gb ipad 2 is 399

    so will this be $349?

    and who would pay 349 for a 7" mini ipad when for only 50$ more they get the ipad 2?

    unless this will replace the ipad 2
  • minnesota_steveminnesota_steve Posts: 109member
    Folks, it's clear with the new iPad name we are headed to an iPod, MacBook, iMac like naming system with roughly annual category refreshes. This year and maybe next year will be the last for the iPad 2. Instead we will have products across a wide range of price points. Maybe a no retina display, low flash memory model at the lowest entry point all the way up to the 4G LTE, retina 64+ (128, 256?) GB high end.



    A strategy like this is not really intended to sell the lowest price point for highest profit and biggest volume, but rather to drive people into the Apple ecosystem. Once you make the choice to go Apple there will be a willingness to splurge a little for some upgrades. How many buy the most basic 11" MacBook air with no upgrades? Once you get hooked on the MacBook Air, fluid trackpad, best in class small screen optimized OS, long lifetime product, the next machine will have high potential to be an Apple.
  • carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post


    I'm with Minnesota on this one.



    A smaller iPad just needs a solid use case for Apple to push it. At 7.85 I'd gather most of the iPad interface elements are large enough, though it is true that the web experience would certainly be diminished, requiring much more zooming and feeling a bit more like the iPhone/touch experience.



    However, put a solid 4S-style camera lens system on there (or better), maybe make the larger bezel on one side only and grippy(?). Make the volume up button longer for easier pressing and it becomes THE camera version of the iPad. Of course, it would be way more thought out than that little brainstorm, but it could find a new solid niche while still leaving room for the other guys.



    All this just to say that it's possible for Apple to make a successful and useful product in that category.



    That whole Steve Jobs quote about size of tablet gets brought up too much. Yes, he said it. Yes, he was using hyperbole to make his point. Yes, he was right about the iPad size (look at sales, for instance.) No, that doesn't mean he would have been against a smaller size if it had a purpose that made it the best in some category.



    Jobs had no problem developing a Touch device employing a 3.5-inch screen and the reason is that there is a point to having a device small enough to slip into one's pocket. Some are claiming that a 7-inch device is that portable but I just don't see it. iPad has one segment covered, namely a portable device not intended to be pocketed. The Touch covers the pocket segment and all it needs to be just right is to grow a little larger because you can pocket a device that is a little larger than the current Touch. As you reduce size to allow a device to be pocketed, you are losing something in a tablet so the question is, how large can a device be while remaining a pocket-friendly unit. That should be Apple's next target.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post


    other than the fact that Steve Jobs did not like the 7" size

    There is nothing wrong with it

    i have the Blackberry Playbook and i have never had an issue with the icons being too small or my finder touching multple icons.

    and no i have not filed down my fingers

    and before you all accuse me of being an android troll etc

    i use an iphone 4s and my main tablet is the ipad 2 (till friday when i get my ipad3)

    i just have the HP touchpad and the playbook as toys since i'm a geek



    keep in mind the 7" screen will probably have a resolution of 1024x768 (same as ipad and ipad2) so its a very easy fit, with no issues for developers supporting yet another setup.



    only issue is price

    the 16Gb ipod touch is 299

    and the 16Gb ipad 2 is 399

    so will this be $349?

    and who would pay 349 for a 7" mini ipad when for only 50$ more they get the ipad 2?

    unless this will replace the ipad 2



    I really don't think price has anything to do with it, I have a iPad 2 and I want a smaller tablet. Samsung sells a premium 7.7" tablet, people don't look at it and go well for only 50 bucks more I can have a bigger screen. No, they look at it and go well this is the best one in that size that I want, sure wish Apple had one, oh well.
  • andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    I really don't think price has anything to do with it, I have a iPad 2 and I want a smaller tablet. Samsung sells a premium 7.7" tablet, people don't look at it and go well for only 50 bucks more I can have a bigger screen. No, they look at it and go well this is the best one in that size that I want, sure wish Apple had one, oh well.



    I have an iPad 2 and want a smaller tablet also. Id buy one day one. But until Apple makes it, I won't buy it.
  • wigginwiggin Posts: 2,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    I think we have seen Apple's response to the lower-cost tablets which is a $399 iPad like the one I'm typing on right now and bought yesterday.



    When you can have a $399 tablet as capable as the iPad 2, It's rather a no-brainier to opt for that option over the many inferior options available.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    What makes it even more absurd is that now the iPad line starts at $399 US.



    What about replacing the iPad 2 with a smaller size to be the low-end option? Who says they would both co-exist? It's a stretch, but one argument as to why the new iPad isn't the iPad 3 is because Apple knows that down the road the low-end iPad isn't going to simply be last year's model, as they've been doing with the iPhone, but a different size device.



    If there were going to be two parallel models (ie, a family of iPads just like Apple has a family of iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Airs, etc), then sequentially numbering the models becomes problematic. What would they do, release the iPad 4 and then explain to everyone that it's a low-end model vs the iPad 3? Dropping the number allows Apple to create a line of different size iPads and follow the same naming convention as every other computer product Apple sells. Remember, the iPhone is the exception to Apple normal naming convention, not the rule.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post


    Even if Apple were to bunk Steve Job's wishes against a 7" device...



    Steve Jobs' "wishes" or Steve Jobs' marketing. I believe those comments were far more about marketing than any other factor. Of course he's saying Apple has the best option. When's the last time you saw a CEO compliment a competitor's products? But even though the current iPad may well be the best single option (ie, if you were only going to make one size), why does everyone automatically assume that it's the only viable option? Just because a CEO said his products were better than his competitors?
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    Jobs had no problem developing a Touch device employing a 3.5-inch screen and the reason is that there is a point to having a device small enough to slip into one's pocket. Some are claiming that a 7-inch device is that portable but I just don't see it. iPad has one segment covered, namely a portable device not intended to be pocketed. The Touch covers the pocket segment and all it needs to be just right is to grow a little larger because you can pocket a device that is a little larger than the current Touch. As you reduce size to allow a device to be pocketed, you are losing something in a tablet so the question is, how large can a device be while remaining a pocket-friendly unit. That should be Apple's next target.



    Hmm well 5.3" is pretty pocketable but the 7" also fits pretty good in my Jacket pocket. I can tell you one thing though 3.5" is way to small for me now. After owning the Galaxy Note I don't think I could ever own a phone less then 4". The iPod and iPhone just feels really cramped to me now. I think there is a market for 7" Apple tablets. Look if Apple makes them and charges 300 for it they'll have a frenzy on their hands. No one in there right mind would ever buy a Amazon or Barnes & Noble tablet gain.
  • eriamjheriamjh Posts: 948member
    Apple does not follow anyone. They won't release a 7" tablet to compete with the fire or any other tablet unless Apple has decided there is a market.



    Jobs was known for saying Apple won't make this or that and then doing exactly the opposite. Why show your cards or reveal your plans?



    A 7" iPad would work, but the screen size, pixel size, and thus interface/icon size would have to be adjusted. iPhone's are 3.5" and no one complains about icon size.



    So it could be done and work, but there is nothing to indicate Apple is going this way except these rumors.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    I have an iPad 2 and want a smaller tablet also. Id buy one day one. But until Apple makes it, I won't buy it.



    Yea see we have another one, Apple give us a 7".



    Samsung does really make the best under 9" tablets on the market though at least until Apple gets in the game. The Galaxy 8.9, 7.7, and 5.3 are all wonderful tablets. I'm telling you'll fall in love with the screens, I have never scene colors so vibrant. Sure the new iPad 3 will beat them hands down in resolution but under 9" 1280 x 800 is enough and no one does it better then Samsung.



    Plus I really like Android 3.2 and 4.03, give me a open source OS any day. My Samsung Note dual boots into Ubuntu for goodness sake, I hook up a mouse and keyboard and a HDMI monitor and I have a computer, not sure why anyone would do this but it's cool.



    No seriously they really are good tablets, the under 9" ones.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post


    Apple does not follow anyone. They won't release a 7" tablet to compete with the fire or any other tablet unless Apple has decided there is a market.



    Jobs was known for saying Apple won't make this or that and then doing exactly the opposite. Why show your cards or reveal your plans?



    A 7" iPad would work, but the screen size, pixel size, and thus interface/icon size would have to be adjusted. iPhone's are 3.5" and no one complains about icon size.



    So it could be done and work, but there is nothing to indicate Apple is going this way except these rumors.



    Ok, just as well. The other manufactures need a area where they can shine. It's probably better that Apple stays out of this market as I'm pretty happy with my 5.3" note and 7.7" Galaxy to have someone else tease an already gadget addictive personality.
  • talkingnewmediatalkingnewmedia Posts: 78member
    The 7" iPad rumor is nicotine for tech rumor sites.



    Every morning the editors get up and say they won't post another small iPad rumor but there is DigiTimes ready to deliver another one. The editors can't help themselves, they are addicted.



    Isn't there a patch or something?
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,495member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post


    Isn't there a patch or something?



    The patch is going back and reading all the iPhone nano rumors and how stupid they were, but no one seems to do that.
  • minnesota_steveminnesota_steve Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post


    The 7" iPad rumor is nicotine for tech rumor sites.



    Every morning the editors get up and say they won't post another small iPad rumor but there is DigiTimes ready to deliver another one. The editors can't help themselves, they are addicted.



    Isn't there a patch or something?



    LOL - great comment!



    I still want a larger than 3.5" iPod Touch like portable game player for the Apple ecosystem. So I will be a little noncompliant with my medication. :-)
Sign In or Register to comment.