Class action lawsuit claims Siri doesn't work as advertised

Comments

• Reply 81 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I guess Barry Kripke will join this lawsuit as well !

you know what happened?

i don't understand westawaunt not westawaunt bawwy, i have found fwee wawyers near you bawwy would you wike to sue?

fwee wawyers? why fwuck yes iwe sue!
  • Reply 82 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I actually don't like the idea that customers need to know that.

In very simple terms, beta means, "not finished". I don't like that companies want to push unfinished products for their consumers to do their testing for them.

I could accept it from time to time, but it seems to just be the done thing now, and I don't really agree with it.

The huge benefit on such a large scale public beta is meaningful test data.

In the lab you could put together a test suite and have the device pass this narrow band testing, but the only way to make such meaningful improvements is to have failures, and drive improvements precisely because it doesn't work. customers should be thanking for the opportunity to "get it right" for them, rather than presume that it should just work.
  • Reply 83 of 157
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Fazio: "Siri, Where can I get some pizza?"

Siri: "Sorry, I'm just not that into you."
  • Reply 84 of 157
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

The huge benefit on such a large scale public beta is meaningful test data.

In the lab you could put together a test suite and have the device pass this narrow band testing, but the only way to make such meaningful improvements is to have failures, and drive improvements precisely because it doesn't work. customers should be thanking for the opportunity to "get it right" for them, rather than presume that it should just work.

Yeah, and I totally accept that in some situations its absolutely the way to go (and there is a strong argument that says Siri is one of them).

My point is, it just seems to have become the norm.

To Google, beta seems to mean, "trying to figure out where a revenue stream might come from".
  • Reply 85 of 157
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

If this guy wins then the flood gates will be open ... Especially in Scotland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_U...e_gdata_player

Brilliant! Thank you ...
  • Reply 86 of 157
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Apple should be able to fight this one and sue them for the hassle. IT IS FREAKING BETA. BETA MEANS THAT IT ISN'T FULLY FINISHED AND THAT IT IS STILL IN TESTNG PHASE.

Whomever the attorneys are on this lawsuit should be stripped of their license to practice the law and then put in public view at Apple Corporate HQ stripped naked and everyone at Apple and anyone else can urinate on them.

These guys deserve a public urination for this negligence of a lawsuit.

BETA MEANS BETA!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 87 of 157
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

BETA means BETA!

When was the last time you saw a "beta" used on TV ads to sell a product?
  • Reply 88 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple should be able to fight this one and sue them for the hassle. IT IS FREAKING BETA. BETA MEANS THAT IT ISN'T FULLY FINISHED AND THAT IT IS STILL IN TESTNG PHASE.

Whomever the attorneys are on this lawsuit should be stripped of their license to practice the law and then put in public view at Apple Corporate HQ stripped naked and everyone at Apple and anyone else can urinate on them.

These guys deserve a public urination for this negligence of a lawsuit.

BETA MEANS BETA!!!!!!!!

Having just read through the complaint, there is reference to "Beta" but complains that it is in the small print, or appropriately posted on the wall in the disused lavatory in the basement behind the sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.

A quick google of fwank fazio and it is however possible to determine that he has a related false advertisement class action suit filed against apple for representing that Santa is real. This case of course is less newsworthy as clearly apple is in the wrong.
  • Reply 89 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

Having just read through the complaint, there is reference to "Beta" but complains that it is in the small print, or appropriately posted on the wall in the disused lavatory in the basement behind the sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.

A quick google of fwank fazio and it is however possible to determine that he has a related false advertisement class action suit filed against apple for representing that Santa is real. This case of course is less newsworthy as clearly apple is in the wrong.

Santa isn't real???
  • Reply 90 of 157
    Quote:

That's the same for me. For some reason, English Siri is completely useless, whereas American Siri is merely useless!

I'd say American Siri understands my English accent about 50% of the time, with English Siri way less than that.

With that said, I didn't really test English Siri that much. I switched it over to see it did better than American Siri, tried for about 10 minutes and switched back.

For me Siri is very accurate, she understands me almost perfectly. Better than my American wife. Must be that Northern RP..
  • Reply 91 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Santa isn't real???

If santas not real then I'm suing my parents! ... And that old guy wearing the red suit that smelt of gin when I was five.
  • Reply 92 of 157
    Quote:

If santas not real then I'm suing my parents! ... And that old guy wearing the red suit that smelt of gin when I was five.

Ouch ...
  • Reply 93 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

For me Siri is very accurate, she understands me almost perfectly. Better than my American wife. Must be that Northern RP..

Sorry your wife doesn't understand you. My dogs understand me better than my wife, it's something to do with being married.
  • Reply 94 of 157
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Sorry your wife doesn't understand you. My dogs understand me better than my wife, it's something to do with being married.

How come when I come rolling in from the pub drunk my wife is furious, but the dog is always delighted?
  • Reply 95 of 157
    Quote:

How come when I come rolling in from the pub drunk my wife is furious, but the dog is always delighted?

Dogs love vomit, wife's don't.
  • Reply 96 of 157
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

BETA means BETA!

I don't have a 4S and haven't used Siri so I can't speak to how well it works.

That being said, the fact that it is in beta is irrelevant. Apple doesn't have a disclaimer in its ad that Siri is in beta and what is being advertised is how the final product is suppose to work and it is not at that level yet.

The ONLY consideration is if Apple is misrepresenting the product as advertised. As I mentioned, I have no experience with Siri so I can't say anything in that regard. However, if it is as bad as that guy says it is for a lot of users, then Apple should be sued....and they should loose.

-kpluck
  • Reply 97 of 157
    I agree Suri is a Beta program but Apple has been pushing it pretty hard and it really doesn't work!! It has too be the worse product in the Apple line up next to the actual phone part of the iPhone!!
  • Reply 98 of 157
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Well, after reading about this lawsuit I can skip my nightly dose of a "Seinfeld" episode.
  • Reply 99 of 157
    Quote:

BETA means BETA!

It this case, someone is trying to act ALPHA over the BETA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCanuck View Post

Maybe Siri doesn't understand "stupid", "greedy", sleazy", etc ?

Oh, oh! I know... those are three of the seven dwarves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

hehe.

Well, the last time I tested out speech control on a Mac was about 10 years under OS 9, and even though I didn't find much use for it, it did understand me pretty good and I was opening and closing windows using speech, and doing other functions.

I would obviously assume that SIRI is way more advanced than what I tried back then.

Yeah, for sure. Back then Siri would have sounded like Bullwinkle the Moose.
  • Reply 100 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Wow.

As Bob Uecker might say, "JUST a bit outside!"

Here's a suggestion. Print out all of your comments in this thread, then lock them up in a safe deposit box for about ten years. When you open it up ten years later and read them, you should be thoroughly embarrassed that you ever had such self absorbed and ignorant thoughts.

If you don't, then by all means run for political office.

Early 20s would be a good time for Apple ][ to take up where Andrew Breitbart left off.

Siri works well for a beta. I hope the judge tosses this out as a frivolous lawsuit. I don't see any merit in this lawsuit and the guy probably agreed to a EULA he didn't even bother to read.