Class action lawsuit claims Siri doesn't work as advertised

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I asked because I can see no other reason why someone would make such a ridiculous comment.

Well, I showed you how it was not ridiculous at all. You haven't responded to the information which I provided, pointing out that there are indeed different versions of SIRI, depending upon where somebody lives.
  • Reply 42 of 157
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

must be an idiot to think a gimmick would be useful

Got to tell you my wife, a busy Realtor, uses Siri all the time to schedule appointments for showing amongst many other things. It's like her having a full time assistant. That's some gimmick!
  • Reply 43 of 157
    If this guy wins then the flood gates will be open ... Especially in Scotland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_U...e_gdata_player
  • Reply 44 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Generally public has no idea what that means...

I over heard a guy bragging he had the much better and later Alpha version as he was well connected ...
  • Reply 45 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Beta normally means you don't advertise it as a primary selling point as well.

Hell, at least half of everything with a Google logo attached to it has been in Beta for years and they still market them as main features. It's what tech companies do these days and the user needs to know that.
  • Reply 46 of 157
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    [insult removed]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Beta normally means you don't advertise it as a primary selling point as well.

Quite right. It's fairly unusable for me with my rather plain, perhaps slightly south-west, English accent. So I have it off to save the battery, which probably doesnt help the beta cause much but since the UK version can't do many of the features anyhow I don't miss much. I had better success with the dictation generally but in so many cases I want to format acronyms or abbreviations that typing is easier..

Siri being unusable is fine for a beta but once you use it as a sales point in television adverts it needs to be coming out of beta really soon and getting that special Apple polish of a really great feature.
  • Reply 47 of 157
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Hopefully, the courts will understand what Beta means and if Apple wins, will make the Troll pay all the legal fees and court costs.
  • Reply 48 of 157
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

some people have speech defects. SIRI is obviously not always going to understand some foreigner speaking with a laughable crappy accent

So essentially someone that does not speak your language is defective and is laughable and crappy? Wow, the utter disregard some people have for others is astounding.
  • Reply 49 of 157
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    I guess Barry Kripke will join this lawsuit as well !
  • Reply 50 of 157
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Hopefully, the courts will understand what Beta means and if Apple wins, will make the Troll pay all the legal fees and court costs.

But how does the average consumer know it is beta? That is the rub on this. An does beta really excuse a company? If that was the case, companies would slap beta on everything. "I know ma' am your husbands pace maker failed but it WAS beta". /S You get the point.
  • Reply 51 of 157
    Quote:

I don't have an iPhone 4S, so I haven't tried SIRI, but I do know one thing. I've seen some videos of people using SIRI, and some people have speech defects. SIRI is obviously not always going to understand some foreigner speaking with a laughable crappy accent, and other people who have never learned to speak properly. That is those people's problem. Go make an appointment with a speech therapist or something.

I'll be testing out the dictation feature on the iPAD this friday, and I expect it to work pretty good, since I don't speak like a retard.

So, you want Tim Cook to tell every non-WASP American to "Don't speak that way!"
  • Reply 52 of 157
    Quote:

Well, I showed you how it was not ridiculous at all. You haven't responded to the information which I provided, pointing out that there are indeed different versions of SIRI, depending upon where somebody lives.

The information you provided changes nothing as it was the way you chose to articulate your response that makes you sound like a bigot.

You could have said the same thing in many other ways.
  • Reply 53 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Quite right. It's fairly unusable for me with my rather plain, perhaps slightly south-west, English accent. So I have it off to save the battery, which probably doesnt help the beta cause much but since the UK version can't do many of the features anyhow I don't miss much. I had better success with the dictation generally but in so many cases I want to format acronyms or abbreviations that typing is easier..

Siri being unusable is fine for a beta but once you use it as a sales point in television adverts it needs to be coming out of beta really soon and getting that special Apple polish of a really great feature.

Weird thing is I am English and the American Siri understands me really well. Just a thought, can you select to use the American one in the UK to try?
  • Reply 54 of 157
    Uhhh.... if you don't like it, maybe you should return it to Apple AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK, SLEAZEBALL.

http://store.apple.com/us/open/salespolicies

"For iPhone returns, you may return your undamaged iPhone with its included accessories within 30 days of purchase for a full refund."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
  • Reply 55 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

So, you want Tim Cook to tell every non-WASP American to "Don't speak that way!"

Yeah. This is the USA. And here we speak American English. If somebody can't, then that's their problem.

If somebody is in an accident and they lose 2 fingers on each hand, and then they go out and buy an iPad, should they sue Apple because they can't make a five finger gesture?
  • Reply 56 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hell, at least half of everything with a Google logo attached to it has been in Beta for years and they still market them as main features. It's what tech companies do these days and the user needs to know that.

So true. Before long Google will start meaning 'Beta' through common usage and get an alternative definition in Wikipedia!
  • Reply 57 of 157
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

But how does the average consumer know it is beta? That is the rub on this. An does beta really excuse a company? If that was the case, companies would slap beta on everything. "I know ma' am your husbands pace maker failed but it WAS beta". /S You get the point.

Software can be beta, hardware can't. I believe it says it in the fine print somewhere.

when Siri doesn't understand me, I laugh at what she translates it to. I never thought of suing!
  • Reply 58 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

So essentially someone that does not speak your language is defective and is laughable and crappy? Wow, the utter disregard some people have for others is astounding.

Funny thing is he states he doesn't even have an iPhone 4s. Had someone else said what he said he'd have said ...'if you are too poor and ignorant to buy the latest product you shouldn't be commenting on it' or words to that effect ...
  • Reply 59 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Funny thing is he states he doesn't even have an iPhone 4s. Had someone else said what he said he'd have said ...'if you are too poor and ignorant to buy the latest product you shouldn't be commenting on it' or words to that effect ...

You sure like to comment a lot about somebody that you claim to have on ignore.
  • Reply 60 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Generally public has no idea what that means...

Attorney's are paid to research and know what Beta means. This guy is just trying to get some easy money. Apple should counter sue for a billion dollars.

Apple promised less from Siri than Obama promised from his administration. Now there's a law suit!