DIV3 files with MacOS X , how?

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have Video Lan Client but it doesnt handle it.

I have a MOV that is encoded into DIV3. I got a hold of a codec from <a href="http://www.3ivx.com"; target="_blank">www.3ivx.com</a> and now I can HEAR the file, but no video.

Google searches have run dry.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Tech support, moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ZO, there are dozens of different DIVX codecs. try downloading a few others and give them a shot.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    thats what I hate about MacOS...

I thought I had found a one stop shop with VLC but then comes around yet another encoding. This sucks big time.

Ugh, off to VT again
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ive tried most everything i can get a hold of but nothing seems to decode a DIV3 encoded MOV file.

WTF

HELP?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, hate about the MacOS? that's what there is to hate about Divx. on the PC side it's the same way. there are a half a dozen codecs in either camp that will decode various .avi files, depending on which one they were encoded with.

is it a large file? (+10 Meg) or not? and would you feel embarassed if i saw it? i wonder if i would be able to watch it on my Mac. for a while there i was playing around with various ways to space shift DVD's, and i probably have 7 or 8 codecs on my machine now. i've never found a file that my VLC can't play anymore.

you do have the latest VLC, right? i know the older one didn't play as many as the new one.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    really? not even divx.com?

also, there's all sort of tricks for windows to get certain files to play, namely changing file extensions etc...so that might be your problem...i dunno...getting audio right is better than 99% of the divx files out there, which requires manipulation of sort...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    a) its 693.7MB big

b) yes, you and the whole family could watch it

c) I have VLC .4.4 which is latest

d) I have tried installing DIVX Beta 5 but nothing seems to like the fact that its a MOV file and not an AVI.

e) I have tried the 3.5 and 4b 3IVX from 3ivx.com

This was obviously made on a Mac and would LOVE to know how the FVCK the person then managed to see the thing. Grrr.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ok, solved the problem

Had to RESTART the computer to make it work. Stupid thing. Works fine with QuickTime now that I have DIVX 5, and even the other 2 3IVX components in the Library/Quicktime folder

thanks for the help