First sample photos from new iPad show dramatic improvement over iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Who walks around using the iPad as a camera? The thing is too big and unwieldy to be used as a point & shoot.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I know I can back up to iCloud but I would need to purchase extra storage on top of that too.

I have the sneaking suspicion that this is the exact intention.

It really makes little overall sense to not offer at least a 128GB version of the new iPad.

Not only are apps much larger (2.5-3x it was said), but also you'll be shooting much higher res pictures and movies. And download HD movies too.

A 64GB new iPad will seriously feel like a 32GB iPad 2.

Out of the box.

How much room is there to grow? None.

Juggling data onto SD cards as extension is not going to work well either.

The only real option is to upload all your movies and pictures and music to the cloud, especially iCloud, to keep data on the iPad lean.

One seemingly has little other choice.

So I think Apple wanted it that way.

They want you to feel crammed on your iPad, to force you onto (i)Cloud.

That is the only explanation I can think of why they did not offer a 128GB version.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I have the sneaking suspicion that this is the exact intention.

It really makes little overall sense to not offer at least a 128GB version of the new iPad.

Not only are apps much larger (2.5-3x it was said), but also you'll be shooting much higher res pictures and movies. And download HD movies too.

A 64GB new iPad will seriously feel like a 32GB iPad 2.

Out of the box.

How much room is there to grow? None.

Juggling data onto SD cards as extension is not going to work well either.

The only real option is to upload all your movies and pictures and music to the cloud, especially iCloud, to keep data on the iPad lean.

One seemingly has little other choice.

So I think Apple wanted it that way.

They want you to feel crammed on your iPad, to force you onto (i)Cloud.

That is the only explanation I can think of why they did not offer a 128GB version.

The ONLY exception? So you've actually seen a design that Apple refused to use? There could be a number of reasons. Perhaps they didn't have room on the motherboard and adding 128 GB would have created too many tradeoffs?

Face it. You don't know why Apple doesn't offer 128 GB so please stop acting like you do.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It is baffling that some people seem to be personally insulted that Apple offers a 16GB model.

For many users a 16GB model has more than enough storage. A massive percentage of the iPad userbase only browses the web, emails, watches you-tube, looks at an occasional map. Perhaps a few 3rd party apps are installed, maybe a cookbook, netflix, or a handful of games.

16GB is more than enough for this type of user. They aren't looking to store media files and don't plan on downloading 63 games.

Before anyone tries to rebut for some bizarre reason, realize that this is only one type of user. There are certainly other people that need a lot more storage. That's the enlightened perspective, to realize that different people have different needs. Apple chooses to offer a 16GB model because it thinks there are a significant number of people who prefer that model. They don't offer a 128GB model because they must feel that there aren't enough people to justify selling it.

Theoretically, they could also offer a 1TB model. But they have to draw the line at some point. Whether 64GB is the right cut-off point, that's debatable. But given the sales statistics, it seems that apple probably has the right mix of product offerings.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Who walks around using the iPad as a camera? The thing is too big and unwieldy to be used as a point & shoot.

Schools for documentary assignments. Augmented reality apps. QR code scanners. OCR programs. It may also just be the device you have with you.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    I think people will quickly recalibrate their expectations for what is socially acceptable behavior. While some people might feel foolish holding up an iPad as a camera, that self-consciousness will likely diminish over time as it becomes common.

The iPad also offers an unprecedented way to shoot video. A viewfinder that offers 1080p and can be seen at arms reach... it truly is a new paradigm. It isn't just acceptable, it is actually superior. In the near future, nobody will want to shoot video with tiny view finders.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I don't get Apple with this camera upgrade.

Why upgrading least used back camera? Seriously, who is using it?

Why not to bring HD quality to the front camera for better experience in FaceTime, Skype, PhotoBooth, etc?

I can imagine front vs back camera use in iPad is at least 100 to 1.

I don't expect a lot of people are using those services either. I wish more people used them, because that would make customer support a lot easier for me, so I can see what products they are using, how they're using them, and then show what they need or how to use it, in real time, rather than play email tag.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

128Gb and 256Gb should be a given option on iPads even if we have to pay a bit more.. It's also a real shame Apple does not build in an SD Card slot for storage expansion....

I think you'd be paying at least $200 more, if not $400.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

Then use this..

Please at least understand what the product an and can't do before passing it off as a solution. It's not that hard. That device allows files to be taken in, but I don't think any Apple-approved apps can use that reader as an expansion slot.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    @jragosta:

Gee, sorry if my tone insulted your eyes...

I did qualify my post by saying that this is the only exception I can think of. You might be able to think of others, but sorry I cannot think of another more likely one. That's all I meant to say.

@dfiler:

In light of the reportedly vastly higher storage requirement (due to 4x higher pixel count) just to keep the 'status quo', by which I mean the same apps as currently, the same number of pictures taken, number of movies shot and number of HD movies downloaded for offline viewing, the question is not whether there are users who need >64GB storage on an iPad, but more to the point whether currently users even need 64GB.

Seeing as the 64GB new iPad will virtually feel like a 32-60GB iPad 2 (depending on your usage pattern) offering the new iPad only in 64GB seems like a virtual reduction in maximum storage space.

Perhaps this is OK. Perhaps Apple found that hardly anyone uses 64GB on their iPads.

That really is my question here.

My 64GB iPad 1 currently has just 4GB available. I doubt the new iPad will offer me enough storage capacity after upgrading my movies and apps to new iPad versions. I will probably have to remove things. Which is never nice with a new gadget, as it gives the impression of a 'downgrade'.

Understood, I might not be the typical Apple user, but I gladly would have liked to buy a 128GB version.

@JeffDM:

Would it be impossible to offer a 96GB version to keep costs lower?
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How high of quality do you need for Skype or FaceTime?

OTOH, you could use the back camera for all sorts of photos of things where the quality DOES matter. I think you have your ratios backwards.

Mmm, I gotta agree with Jason. A high-quality front-facing camera seems much more useful than the back camera on an iPad. Maybe I'm just shallow but I like seeing crisp, high-res video when using skype or facetime.

I'm curious - how many iPad2 users regularly use their iPad to snap photos with the rear camera?
  • Reply 50 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Seeing as the 64GB new iPad will virtually feel like a 32-60GB iPad 2 (depending on your usage pattern) offering the new iPad only in 64GB seems like a virtual reduction in maximum storage space.

Perhaps this is OK. Perhaps Apple found that hardly anyone uses 64GB on their iPads.

My 64GB iPad 1 currently has just 4GB available. I doubt the new iPad will offer me enough storage capacity after upgrading my movies and apps to new iPad versions. I will probably have to remove things. Which is never nice with a new gadget, as it gives the impression of a 'downgrade'.

Understood, I might not be the typical Apple user, but I gladly would have liked to buy a 128GB version.

@JeffDM:

I have no idea, it's plausible given that it's two chips, at least it was on previous models. Then one 32GB and one 64GB chip might be used.

Hopefully the storage wouldn't be so much worse for you. The file sizes for 1080p video in a higher profile allows better quality with negligible file size increases. Hopefully Apple tightens up the compression on photos. Photos saved to iOS devices seem to be loosely compressed for images supposedly optimized for their target device.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:

@jragosta:

Gee, sorry if my tone insulted your eyes...

I did qualify my post by saying that this is the only exception I can think of. You might be able to think of others, but sorry I cannot think of another more likely one. That's all I meant to say.

@dfiler:

In light of the reportedly vastly higher storage requirement (due to 4x higher pixel count) just to keep the 'status quo', by which I mean the same apps as currently, the same number of pictures taken, number of movies shot and number of HD movies downloaded for offline viewing, the question is not whether there are users who need >64GB storage on an iPad, but more to the point whether currently users even need 64GB.

@JeffDM:

The examples given for drastically increased app sizes seem to be apps that have stock image libraries for use in creating content. This is significant to some people but not to others. Sure some people will need more storage, but the point that I was making is that for a large percentage of people, 16G will still be enough. For instance, high-res buttons won't drastically change the size of apps like maps, netflix or mail.

As for a virtual reduction in max storage space, we must also consider the trend away from local media storage. As mobile network speed and coverage improve, the need for local storage has decreased. This is evidenced by the popularity of pandora, netflix, youtube, etc.

Again though, this is just an acknowledgement of a trend and isn't meant to deny the existence of people who will feel a storage capacity crunch with retina apps. In my opinion the Macworld storage crunch article touches on a valid topic but greatly exaggerates the significance to most people. It is my prediction that the vast majority of people will have no trouble with storage capacity. Most apps simply don't rely on a lot of locally stored graphics.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 712clark View Post

Secondly, back camera would be used mainly for P2P use or self-portrait, therefore usually face-only detail required. If this was HD, then a new iPad-to-new iPad FaceTime? or Skype? video call would require substantially more bandwidth at it's highest resolution use.

I am sure ISPs and mobile operators wouldn't appreciate that and neither would you when you get the bill or get blocked for excessive bandwidth usage. Additionally, a further network upgrade would be required to cope with even more HD video calls, HD video streaming & internet usage.....and so the continual upgrade circle keeps turning.

Do not see how that was Apple's motivation. Especially when they are going to start serving HD movies online.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    I've got to be completely honest, I've used the camera on the iPad a bunch of times.

My phone is pretty lame, and I'm always using the iPad, so if I need or want a picture or video of something, I'll just open the app and I'm ready to go. Simple.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

i don't know about "walking around" but i see people all the time using the cam for video at swim meets...

we sit in the stand for hours at a time during these meets and you bring your ipad to help pass the time. When it is time for your kid to swim, turn off your Angry Birds game and switch over to the video cam for saving a memory.

I have never done it, but with the new ipad, i will give it a try. (even though i typically carry a Sony HD video cam for this)
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:

I can think of several:

1) insurance adjusters

2) inspectors

3) contractors

4) doctors and nurses

5) anyone who needs to carry a tablet, who occasionally needs a camera.

• Reply 56 of 69
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The iPad also offers an unprecedented way to shoot video. A viewfinder that offers 1080p and can be seen at arms reach... it truly is a new paradigm. It isn't just acceptable, it is actually superior. In the near future, nobody will want to shoot video with tiny view finders.

Absolutely agree. The iPad is the highest-resolution field monitor ever made. There are those with camera gear costing 100 times that of an iPad wondering how they can hook it up. Those of us with more modest budgets can simply use it as a 1080p videocam with manual control over exposure, focus and frame rate (e.g.

using the Filmic app) and still have the best field monitor than money can buy.

See how some are already using iPad 2: http://www.makayama.com/moviemount.html

Tim.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No need. Have you seen the photos from the iPad 2? They're horrible in room lighting--lots of chroma noise. Very similar to the camera in the original iPhone and iPod Touch. In other words, no side-by-side comparison needed, not for me anyway.

I don't remember asking if you needed a side by side comparison. I mean no offense, but I was asking because *I* wanted one. We all know the new iPad's camera will blow away what the iPad 2 could do. I'm curious to know how the new iPad camera compares to the iPhone 4 camera since they're both 5 megapixels (again, to be clear, NOT the 4S, which has a better camera). I don't expect to use my new iPad as a camera that often, but I think the comparison in capability is an interesting one since both the iPhone 4 and the new iPad are 5 megapixel cameras. Really, the iPhone 4 has quite a nice camera. I'm curious to know if Apple managed to improve on it for the new iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Still waiting for an explanation of why you need so much better resolution for FaceTime or Skype. I'd also like to know why you need stereo mics for FaceTime or Skype.

Perhaps the person wanting that feature has two heads? Or one very uniquely formed head with two mouths?

...probably not, but...?
  • Reply 59 of 69
    2D games and apps will be increasing because of the higher resolution artwork needed. Yet 3D games such as Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, etc shouldn't increase much as running a game in a higher resolution doesn't require more space.

Also as a side note, the initial download sizes have increased to support the new iPad but when you install an app on the previous iPads surely the install sizes are the same? They won't require the higher resolution artwork. People are confusing download size and installation size, the download sizes have increased because they have to support BOTH resolutions.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I think people will quickly recalibrate their expectations for what is socially acceptable behavior. While some people might feel foolish holding up an iPad as a camera, that self-consciousness will likely diminish over time as it becomes common.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Absolutely agree. The iPad is the highest-resolution field monitor ever made. There are those with camera gear costing 100 times that of an iPad wondering how they can hook it up. Those of us with more modest budgets can simply use it as a 1080p videocam with manual control over exposure, focus and frame rate (e.g.

using the Filmic app) and still have the best field monitor than money can buy.

See how some are already using iPad 2: http://www.makayama.com/moviemount.html

Tim.

Two absolutely intelligent answers, and add Dick Applebaum's above too.

Will you people with no imagination or too much self-consciousness please read these and stop with the back-camera wonderment?

You are going to feel very stupid in a month or two, if not in a week or two.