First sample photos from new iPad show dramatic improvement over iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Well, one thing thats certain from these shots is that these guys have absolutely no idea how to take photos.

I reserve judgement until I get my hands on the new iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    mgleetmgleet Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Geez....I wonder what the new file size of GarageBand will be then.

1.1 GB. It's insane. And much of that is completely unnecessary on my iPhone 4 and 2010 iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Don't judge the camera by the photographer.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

Er... are those supposed to be iPad (3) photos? They're shite...

The iPad 2 camera was pretty much unusable. It is the primary reason I returned it.

To the person claiming these are fake pictures... If you look at the middle of the 2nd picture, just behind the swizzle sticks, you can see a reflection of the guys taking the image. I think there are 3 or 4 of them, and I can see the iPad. No easy way of telling if they are holding an iPad 3/new, or an iPad 2.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

The iPad 2 camera was pretty much unusable. It is the primary reason I returned it.

To the person claiming these are fake pictures... If you look at the middle of the 2nd picture, just behind the swizzle sticks, you can see a reflection of the guys taking the image. I think there are 3 or 4 of them, and I can see the iPad. No easy way of telling if they are holding an iPad 3/new, or an iPad 2.

Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that the iPad holder is off-center and the guy/gal to the right of him/her (in the center) looks like he/she is possibly holding another camera. I'd say it's definitely possible they're faked.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Back camera on a tablet is a waste.

We need HD front cameras, with stereo mics.

Heed Logitech C910
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

You returned an iPad 2 based on the camera? Seriously, I see what you did there, you sneaky troll you.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubeover View Post

Back camera on a tablet is a waste.

We need HD front cameras, with stereo mics.

Heed Logitech C910

Still waiting for an explanation of why you need so much better resolution for FaceTime or Skype. I'd also like to know why you need stereo mics for FaceTime or Skype.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Having checked out all of the images on their site they are the real deal. There are now some good clear shots up. Its a vast improvement from the iPad 2 but I dont know how often I will be taking pictures with a tablet to be honest.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreambox View Post

These guys make fakes.

Read my post #21 here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=146060

Yep, they are fake. Here is the evidence:

1) The image size is incorrect. They are 2592 x 1936. Omnivision 5MP chips are actually 2592x1944 active pixels.

2) There is a refection of 4 guys bunched together in the centre. The one 2nd from the left to us, and most concealed by the two either side, is clearly holding up something to same height as the iPad's camera and immediately to its left. It looks like a camera or phone in a black container - with the idea of it merging into the shadow. See the cropped and enhance photo here:

http://www.millea.com/Tim_Millea/Blo...-120314-3.html

Tim.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Because if FaceTime cameras go HD he can complain about how FaceTime doesn't work as well over slow connections anymore and that apple screwed up... again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Still waiting for an explanation of why you need so much better resolution for FaceTime or Skype. I'd also like to know why you need stereo mics for FaceTime or Skype.

• Reply 32 of 69
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    To be fair, those three subjects would be hard for a DSLR to take well. The first is an against the light shot, and this always reduces contrast. The second is a challenge for any camera set on Auto Exposure because of the large expanse of black background. Any camera will attempt to brighten the picture with such a subject, and this therefore reduces the quality of reproduction of the bottle labels. In the third, indoor shots such as this will usually produce difficult shots because of the need for high ISO sensitivity and due to the generally low contrast in the scene - unless a large proportion is illuminated by window light.

I would suggest these pics have been set up to deliberately make the iPad 3 pictures look bad. Even my Nikon would take less good pictures in such circumstances. I smell a Samsung worm...
  • Reply 33 of 69
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Mac Rumors posted this same story earlier this morning, but they also noted something that's quite disturbing in addition to the sample photos....

It?s gonna be a rough few weeks?

I happen to think the next couple of weeks will be absolutely great. I purchased the 16 GB iPad and have zero worries. With iTunes match, I have thousands of my favorite songs at my finger tips with no negative effects on space. iCloud and Photo Stream both help ease the load as well.

I see no need to worry.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'd prefer being able to film with my iPhone and send the video to my iPad to make a movie, but it's not even possible to do this between two iOS devices yet. I'm counting on iOS6 for an airdrop feature.

Have you tried looking in the app store for options?

From the feature list:

Quote:

Sharing videos and photos from the photo library with any other device

I've used it and it works perfectly for this purpose.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Yep, they are fake. Here is the evidence:

1) The image size is incorrect. They are 2592 x 1936. Omnivision 5MP chips are actually 2592x1944 active pixels.

2) There is a refection of 4 guys bunched together in the centre. The one 2nd from the left to us, and most concealed by the two either side, is clearly holding up something to same height as the iPad's camera and immediately to its left. It looks like a camera or phone in a black container - with the idea of it merging into the shadow. See the cropped and enhance photo here:

http://www.millea.com/Tim_Millea/Blo...-120314-3.html

Tim.

3. Look at the angle of the iPad. Since you can see the side of the iPad on the top but not the bottom, it is clearly tilted quite a bit downward, so could not have taken that picture.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

These guys don't even look Vietnamese! Viets have much finer facial features. FAKE! I smell Korean trolls!
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droobee View Post

Apple's New iPad demo pics:

http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery...s/IMG_1610.JPG

(in the brighter section of shadow in the leaves, and all over the sky)

http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery...s/IMG_1190.JPG

all across the water, noise, and smeared noise reduction, and loads of noise reduction on the grass.

these pics are not even the 5MP originals! 1296x968 doesn't even fill up the screen! Of course you'll get pixel artifacts on a resized picture!!!
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droobee View Post

how is this even surprise news when it's touted all over Apples website that it's got a Full HD camera, when the ipad 2 only had a 720p HD version??

It's showing a lack of contrast and internal glare on the garden shot (was there a fingerprint on the lens??!), a decent amount of noise on the ceiling above the bottles, and just as much noise on the shadowed back walls either side of the 'middle' door... This noise doesn't look *that* much better then the iPad 2's camera to be honest. There is a decent resolving ability but it's overtaken somewhat by the noise/noise reduction/sharpening in the images.

The noise is consistent with the iPad's built-in noise reduction (smearing) and sharpening (red channel) in Apple's New iPad demo pics:

http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery...s/IMG_1610.JPG

(in the brighter section of shadow in the leaves, and all over the sky)

http://images.apple.com/ipad/gallery...s/IMG_1190.JPG

all across the water, noise, and smeared noise reduction, and loads of noise reduction on the grass.

Still, atleast it leaves plenty of room for an upgrade in next year's version.

Non of this is a complaint, just an observation -

At the end of the day, would you sooner take pics with your iPad or your iPhone?!

(you would carry both with you!)

The Apple pictures are actually reasonably impressive given that they're taken with such tiny optics.

Could they be better? Sure. I don't doubt that in 5 years, the iPad will have a much better camera. But those are certainly more than adequate for the pictures that most people will be taking with their iPad. If you want something you can blow up to 24x30, you're not going to use an iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

It's also a real shame Apple does not build in an SD Card slot for storage expansion....

Then use this..