Simple Apache Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Somehow, I have done a tiny amount of damage, with the result that when I view the directory listing of my sites folder in a web browser, the tiny images that display on the left hand side indicating the file type are unavailable. I have downloaded the relevant folder (I think) of images from the web, but anyone tell me where to put them so the Apache server recognises them? I have tried both the sites folder and the web services folder with no luck.

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Emmm

If you mean that when you view your Sites folder over the WEB with a Browser, you might not see the Icons.

But you should see the Icons in your finder.

Apache it's self has nothing to do with what Icons look like.

If your Sites Directory looks like a few folders and some links it's good to go.

I have never seen Icons in a Directory on the Web. Not thats its not possible.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by unremarkable:

<strong>Somehow, I have done a tiny amount of damage, with the result that when I view the directory listing of my sites folder in a web browser, the tiny images that display on the left hand side indicating the file type are unavailable. I have downloaded the relevant folder (I think) of images from the web, but anyone tell me where to put them so the Apache server recognises them? I have tried both the sites folder and the web services folder with no luck.

Cheers!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apache has a list of generic icons in .gif format that it uses to display icons when a file listing is being shown.

In the default Mac OS X installation the are located in: /usr/share/httpd/icons

If you do replace them make sure they are chowned to root.wheel and chmodded to 644

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well!

The files are indeed there, and have the permissions you describe. But still I get broken image icons in the browser! The files the images are next to download fine. Which I guess you'd expect. What's going on?!

And also, I am a tiny bit puzzled why I had to find the icons via the terminal, and couldn't via the finder--why's that?

Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You had to find them in the terminal because they are in an invisible folder, Your problem on the other hand i have no idea. I`m not good at remote troubleshooting.