President Obama invites Apple design chief Jonathan Ive to state dinner

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

The recently knighted Sir Jonathan Ive, Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, will join other notable brits at President Barack Obama's state dinner honoring British Prime Minister David Cameron's first visit to the U.S.

As part of his first U.S. tour, Cameron will take part in a White House dinner where a number of British elites and other guests are planned to take part in a meet and greet with President Obama, reports The Guardian.

Gathering at the nation's capitol with Ive will be other big names familiar to the U.S. public including Sir Richard Branson, golfer Rory McIlroy, musical group Mumford & Sons, and actors Damian Lewis and Hugh Bonneville.

Ive, who has worked for Apple for over 19 years, was a close confidant to the company's late co-founder Steve Jobs. In an interview for his biography, Jobs said that "there's no one who can tell [Ive} what to do. That's the way I set it up.'"

In December 2011, Ive's status was upgraded from Commander of the British Empire to Knight Commander of the British Empire.

The White House dinner is scheduled to take place on Wednesday night.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    ...this just in: Alleged "iPhone 5" prototype found in Oval Office.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    I wonder if Jony will take an iPad 3rd generation or two with him.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Kind of low on the celebrity quotient. George Clooney was the best they could do and he's not even British.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder when Obama will switch to iPhone. It's not like BB is the making a killer product these days and Apple is an American company. I wouldn't be surprise if Ives will be in charge in making that happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder if Jony will take an iPad 3rd generation or two with him.

Nice timing, Obama.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    "Cameron", hmm ....?

A Taffy, that one.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's a cynical move on the President's part. Last time he got a free iPad2, so he's obviously just looking for another freebie, and the timing is extremely suspicious, since we all know what's getting released this Friday at 8:00 am.

Obama also needs to ditch his foreign made Blackberry. Obama is the dude with the "buy American" plan. Does he not follow his own advice? And besides, RIM is on a steep downwards spiral and it's better to jump ship before the entire thing sinks and you find yourself underwater.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    They're going to be comparing brackets.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    The last time Obama was providing a gift to the Brits, it was a Walmart-quality set of old DVDs that wouldn't play on European equipment. Maybe this time around, he's going to hit up Ive for a "free" $50 iTunes card that he'll re-gift to Cameron. At least that should work.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Reading the Jony Ive chapter in Steve's bio then saw this. Ive is one of those rare people who so totally has has act together.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

The last time Obama was providing a gift to the Brits, it was a Walmart-quality set of old DVDs that wouldn't play on European equipment. Maybe this time around, he's going to hit up Ive for a "free" $50 iTunes card that he'll re-gift to Cameron. At least that should work.

Well Obama did give the Queen an iPod a couple years ago....with some of his speeches on it.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well Obama did give the Queen an iPod a couple years ago....with some of his speeches on it.

Didn't it also have music on it, and wasn't his gifting thereof illegal because of copyright laws?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn't it also have music on it, and wasn't his gifting thereof illegal because of copyright laws?

And I read that she already had an iPod from before. I mean, she is the Queen of England afterall.

Her Majesty's Royal iPod gift was stocked with 40 tunes from popular Broadway productions, including "West Side Story," "My Fair Lady" and "South Pacific."

The playlist also features "Oklahoma!" Carol Channing's rendition of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," "Memory" from Cats and "Shall We Dance?" featured in "The King and I."
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Saw Sir Jony on TV. The guy cleans up quite nicely.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    The British are coming, the British are coming!
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Nice. I look forward to the the first state dinner for the new Prime Minister during President Obama's second term, when Cameron is a distant bad memory.

Maybe Tim Cook could work on a British accent?
  • Reply 16 of 53
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Ive is such a stud.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Why the hell is he honouring Cameron? What's to honour about this inept gutless man? Jony Ive is doing both of em a favour to be there...
  • Reply 18 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's a cynical move on the President's part. Last time he got a free iPad2, so he's obviously just looking for another freebie, and the timing is extremely suspicious, since we all know what's getting released this Friday at 8:00 am.

Obama also needs to ditch his foreign made Blackberry. Obama is the dude with the "buy American" plan. Does he not follow his own advice? And besides, RIM is on a steep downwards spiral and it's better to jump ship before the entire thing sinks and you find yourself underwater.

Yes, the timing is 'suspicious', as Obama obviously coordinated a state dinner honouring the British PM who flew to the US, as well as many other guests- with the iPad launch, and also invited Jonathan Ive along all for a cunningly elaborate plan to snag a $499 device as a 'freebie'. I sometimes wonder if you're actually so deluded to believe the insane things you say, or if it's just a knowing troll. I really want to know if you truly believe the President of the United States timed a State Dinner so that he MIGHT be able to get a free iPad. If you see this as a possibility, you have more than a few screws loose. I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.
  • Reply 19 of 53
  • Reply 20 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Jony is livin it large my son like a true Essex boy.

Call me Dave (Cameron) and his wife Samantha are about as posh as you can get. He went to the most exclusive private school in the UK (Eton) and she is part of one of the oldest aristocratic families in the UK.

Oh yes folks we elect real people to be our leaders