Apple stock touches $600 in early morning trading ahead of iPad launch

24

Comments

  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Buy low, sell high.



    Yes, but how do you know what 'high' is? High for Microsoft, for example, would be $50 per share.



    Quote:

    …but very wary.



    And that's the right attitude to keep.
  • lkrupplkrupp Posts: 3,819member
    Someone else has already said it...



    Apple no longer needs to distort reality when it can now dictate reality.
  • originalgoriginalg Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Unfortunately not. They cause inexperienced investors and "fans" of companies without the acumen to understand how the stock market works to invest too much in one company, and eventually the bubble pops and people lose their shirts.

    ...

    Disclosure - still long Apple, but very wary.





    Apple is 71% institutionally owned, but I wish this went up to say something like Qualcomm's 82%. It'd give me more confidence.



    I've been long Apple for a while now and have been close to getting out a few times. Glad that I didn't, but likewise I'm growing more wary every day especially with these massive gains in the last few days
  • fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I hate to say this but this rapid rise in the markets overall and Apple's rapid rise above and beyond the market that seems "unnatural" despite Apple's clearly undervalued state that I wonder if a correction will occur within a week or so.



    I'd said so. Not because I am Apple Bear, but $600 is $600. It will gets a lot tougher to go from there. News that Samsung somehow hold the line on smartphone in China, and Asian customers has much less buying power than in 2011 don't help either.



    Demands are there but Chinese bonuses failed to materialized this year. Think of like waiting for migratory fish that will feed you a whole year and they didn't show up this season. Surely you understand.



    It doesn't matter for many of you I think, for AAPL is your nest egg now and you won't need that money for 20 years or so. Dick Applebum has Interactive Broker so maybe he can keep his ears to the ground better than me. I got SPDR; gold just give me less cases for heart attacks.



    By the way, is anyone owns AAPL in need of a cash soon for whatever reason? Could you give us on this board a tip off so we won't get trampled and died in a correction stampede?
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post


    Apple is 71% institutionally owned, but I wish this went up to say something like Qualcomm's 82%. It'd give me more confidence.



    I've been long Apple for a while now and have been close to getting out a few times. Glad that I didn't, but likewise I'm growing more wary every day especially with these massive gains in the last few days



    Why would you want a larger percentage to be owned by institutions? Private ownership lends a great deal of stability and reduces volatility.
  • fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Why would you want a larger percentage to be owned by institutions? Private ownership lends a great deal of stability and reduces volatility.



    Maybe it is getting too expensive along the way, that less and less minnow investors can keep up with margin calls and only big players can stay at the table.
  • AAPL P/Et16.87

    AMZN P/E: 132.84



    Amazon has a P/E ratio of 132.84. Can anyone explain why Apple, with a P/E ratio of only 16.87, is considered overvalued?
  • cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtlDressShoesLicker View Post


    AAPL P/Et16.87

    AMZN P/E: 132.84



    Amazon has a P/E ratio of 132.84. Can anyone explain why Apple, with a P/E ratio of only 16.87, is considered overvalued?



    Apple is not considered overvalued.



    Apple and Amazon are very different companies. There is no reason to compare them any more than there is to compare Apple with Bethlehem Steel.



    Edit: By the way, these are exactly the kind of questions that should make an experienced investor start to get very worried about mania in AAPL. In my experience, that is. Once people who have no idea what they're doing or why start jumping in for fear of missing out, you're near the top.
  • fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    So when should I set the alarm to take money off the table and run? Bloomberg panel gave the number at $650. If it ever hits that, cash your chips and don't look back. How's your number?
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Doomed, I tell you.



    Yet quite snappy.
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    Maybe it is getting too expensive along the way, that less and less minnow investors can keep up with margin calls and only big players can stay at the table.



    This image jumped into my head at your last comment ... "Siri, Call Moneypenny and tell her I'll be late then order me a vodka martini, shaken not stirred ... ok next, buy one thousand AAPL "
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    So when should I set the alarm to take money off the table and run? Bloomberg panel gave the number at $650. If it ever hits that, cash your chips and don't look back. How's your number?



    It's early days yet.
  • fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    Yes but I'd like to come back next morning knowing my car, my house and my money accounts are still there, and I still can fly home.



    Would you rather leave at 11, come back for breakfast next morning and tens thousands richer? Or stay until 3, then you know you'll walk home after blew through all you got at Baccarat table?



    The mood among AAPL traders since New Year reminds me of Atlantic City and not Wall Street. Been there yet?
  • cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    So when should I set the alarm to take money off the table and run? Bloomberg panel gave the number at $650. If it ever hits that, cash your chips and don't look back. How's your number?



    Whenever you find yourself worrying about it daily.



    Or, the day before it hits the highest value it will have for the next 12 months.
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    Yes but I'd like to come back next morning knowing my car, my house and my money accounts are still there, and I still can fly home.



    The mood among AAPL traders since New Year reminds me of Atlantic City and not Wall Street. Been there yet?



    I base my faith in AAPL not on charts and traditional wisdom of how the stock market works rather on a careful and deep understanding of Apple, their markets and products over a thirty year plus history. I maybe crazy not to listen to expert analysts etc. but based on everything I know and can see, Apple have a hell of a long way to go. Anything capable of destroying Apple will have destroyed the economy as we know it anyway IMHO so it won't much matter if my money is largely in AAPL or under the mattress.
  • fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member
    Ahh, so it will be Second Depression if AAPL will ever drops like stone, and the rest of Nasdaq board would be cratered as well if that happen. I wonder if AAPL will ended up being a lifeboat in the sea of red; everyone drops so all the hot money head this way, scrambling to get inside and avoid being wipe out. Is that what cameronj worried people are doing as well.



    And how do we get a Second Depression from here? Lots of ducks have to be in a row of course. Perhaps include these unthinkable;



    - Germany reintroduced deutschmark

    - India and Brazil crash

    - Israel jumps the gun and start bombing Iran

    - etc.
  • wheat thinswheat thins Posts: 15member
    The day Steve Jobs passed away I told all my friends Apple stock will go to $500 within a year.



    BOY WAS I WRONG....
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    Ahh, so it will be Second Depression if AAPL will ever drops like stone, and the rest of Nasdaq board would be cratered as well if that happen. I wonder if AAPL will ended up being a lifeboat in the sea of red; everyone drops so all the hot money head this way, scrambling to get inside and avoid being wipe out. Is that what cameronj worried people are doing as well.



    And how do we get a Second Depression from here? Lots of ducks have to be in a row of course. Perhaps include these unthinkable;



    - Germany reintroduced deutschmark

    - India and Brazil crash

    - Israel jumps the gun and start bombing Iran

    - etc.



    As George sang , "... you gotta have faith ... "
  • liquidsky617liquidsky617 Posts: 7member
    Thanks Tim!



    Bought at $30 back in 2001 or so.

    Resisted pressure to sell at $200 and later when Steve's health was declining...
  • matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post


    - Israel jumps the gun and start bombing Iran



    Do you think that unthinkable?
Sign In or Register to comment.