Teardown of Apple's new iPad finds Samsung-built Retina display, A5X CPU

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The A5X looks to be you typical BGA style CPU package. This probably means it's a 45 nm part. How they'll fit all this into the iPhone I don't know.

Update:
    Quote:

Using photoshop and the mystical power of ratios we come up with a rough estimate of 10.8mm x 10.8mm for the A5X die, or 117.5mm^2. If you remember back to our iPad analysis article, we guessed that conservative scaling on a 32nm process would give Apple a ~125mm^2 die for the A5X. While there's a lot of estimation in our methodology, it appears likely that the A5X's die is built on a 28/32nm process - or at least not a 45nm process. Note that this value is entirely dependent on the dimensions of Toshiba's NAND being accurate as well as the photo being as level and distortion-free as possible.

• Reply 62 of 107
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't thinking about when it's on a call, I was thinking about it being in BLE between calls for an enhanced standby time (speculative). BLE also allows for a faster setup time, too so when you press and hold the button to talk to Siri or a local phone system to make a call it may appear more responsive.

Phone calls should have no problems because they have bitrates that are much lower than that. I was thinking about music bitrates.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Phone calls should have no problems because they have bitrates that are much lower than that. I was thinking about music bitrates.

I wasn't even considering BT headphones, just handsfree calling. They really only use less than 25 KB/s for a voice call? I was think it was 64 KB/s (512 Kb/s) but certainly not considering modern compression methods.

edit: Nope, I'm wrong. Voice channels were 64 Kb/s not KB. Ouch! That hurts to forget something so fundamental to your previous career.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Steve Jobs used to say 'Redmond start your photocopiers' - now 'It's Samsung start your cloning'. Of course having to give them the contract for the retina display in the first place is the weak link in Apple's supply chain because they're always 'In the loop' about about Apple's next move. You couldn't make it up!

Samsung would know what Apple was up to no matter what if any relationship existed between them. Apple simply partners with the best providers of technology. Make no mistake about it these are partnerships and Samsung is well aware of Apples success and thus the potential for income off that relationship. I doubt either company wants to throw away what they have accomplished together.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Why would it relinquish the prestige of having its arch-rival depend on it for critical components.

That's completely offset by the fact they rely on Apple for their os and design.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

That's completely offset by the fact they rely on Apple for their os and design.

The Galaxy S app screen looking like the 3GS home screen. Is that what you are talking about?
  • Reply 67 of 107
    The reality is iPad wouldn't even be possible without today's LED tech.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Apple could just use a 1.2 GHz A5 in the next iPhone, if they want to increase CPU/GPU performance at all. They'll need the MDM9615 if they don't want to have thicker device or a bigger device.

My guess is that out of the ~4.7 W power draw with LTE web browsing or video streaming, it'll be about:

MDM9600: 0.5 W

A5X + RAM: 0.75 W

Display: 3.5 W (50 to 70% brightness)

I think your numbers are a little off, the A5X most likely runs at about 2-4 watts all out. Each core would be somewhere between a 1/4 and a 1/2 watt, and the GPUs probably one watt or even a little more now. RAM is interesting here because I'm imagining it is pretty fast RAM so it could be another watt or more.

Quote:

Everything else is assumed negligible. So, if they want to make any headway into reducing power consumption, they need that IGZO display tech in addition to finding more efficient LEDs which power the backlight.

Back lighting has always been a major power drain, even on laptops it is a significant drain. While great strides have been made (LEDs make the iPad possible) I don't see any major break through coming for conventional LEDs. The big advance will come when Apple can start to deliver entire PC boards buopilt on 22nm tech as you Wally want to get the whole PC board running on less than two watts at full performance.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    Quote:

Update:

Sounds like a reasonable if wild assed guess to me.

People should look back to recent history though, Samsungs Austin plant announced a few months ago that they where shipping parts. Being a new plant that is also rumored to be the result of a partnership with Apple, you can be fairly confident that the part is 32nm or smaller. which brings up the interesting question of where that power is going to. Some is obviously going to drive the extra GPUs but I suspect most of it is going to the LTE chip. This makes me wonder how well the unit will perform with LTE shut off or the WiFi only unit, battery wise.

Damn I'm getting excited. Here to an early arrival tomorrow.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not having the software ready is pretty pathetic. No wonder why RIM's stock is down in the dumps.

I don't see anybody mentioning anything about any Playbook on the official Bluetooth site.

The addition of Bluetooth v4.0 makes the new iPad the world?s first Bluetooth Smart Ready tablet, allowing it to connect with the billions of today's Bluetooth devices and the next generation of Bluetooth Smart devices?running applications that turn data from those devices into useful information.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluet...t-Devices.aspx

Saw this on the www.bluetooth.com website as well. Says new iPad "is the world?s first Bluetooth Smart Ready tablet." http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Press...spx?ItemID=148

• Reply 70 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sounds like a reasonable if wild assed guess to me.

Indeed! But if stated in a rational way I'm more than willing to entertain it. It's the wide-eyed dreams and wishes that aren't based in reality that I take issue with.

Quote:

This makes me wonder how well the unit will perform with LTE shut off or the WiFi only unit, battery wise.

We now how it will long it will last without LTE on. The real question is how long it will last with Airplane Mode enabled and just reading or just watching videos at 50, 75, and 100% brightness.

That display probably doesn't allow for the same light penetration as the previous display even if they did move to LG's AH-IPS. I think that is that could take a huge toll. Plus, using the 50% brightness slider on the iPad is a relative measure. Is the same percentage on the iPad 2 the same luminosity as the iPad 3? I'm actually hoping for it to be brighter as I found the first two iPads to be less bright than I wanted. Finally, didn't Apple change their battery method after the iPad 2 was released? So far I'm not seeing any tests showing anything over the stated times but I also haven't seen any good tests on battery from the early release reviewers.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

The Galaxy S app screen looking like the 3GS home screen. Is that what you are talking about?

Is there any other way to display apps, it's just a grid. I still have a Nokia Communicator 9510 in which I use as a FAX machine and it it displays it's apps in the same exact way and it was built prior to the iPhone. What about Apples notification system that was introduced in iOS5, I don't know it looks an awfully like what Android has been doing since version 1.6. I don't think it's a matter of blatant copying but using what just makes sense and what is the most useable for a user.

If I had my way I think there are a lot of great features that Android 4.03 has that would be awesome on the iPad. I think we should be more forgiving of company's so called copying eache others UI improvements because it only makes the users life easier.
  • Reply 72 of 107
    I got one, I got one, I have a iPod 3. my sister just dropped it off. She gave it to the night nurse who just gave it to me. As a surprise to get my spirits up for being in the hospital all my friends and family all chipped in and convinced a dealer to sell it to them at 12:00 am. Oh my gosh, I'm crying that was sweat of them. OK give me a sec to collect myself.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    OK it's the 32GB, 4G model. Just opened it up and am now setting it up. I don't know how much time I have with it as the nurse was clear that she would give it to me only if I promise to go to sleep in a half an hour. Sorry guys I just had major surgery and I will have to go back under in the morning so hurry up with your questions. OK so far the screen, its amazing, clear and very crisp. This is the first time I have ever scene a screen that doesn't look digital almost as if its a book.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    OK just tested the camera as that was a real big feature for me. OK it needs a flash, its to dark in my room to get a decent picture, their coming out to grainy. Ill try in the morning when there is light after I wake from surgery. I need some apps that that were made for this resolution. Beside iPhoto do you guys know of any apps that were made for this resolution?
  • Reply 75 of 107
    The photo app is pretty incredible, blazing fast. I'm syncing with my iCloud and now have most of my picture on it. OK this app rocks I love how much more fluid everything seems. Granted it is a clean machine.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Ill try in the morning when there is light after I wake from surgery.

I wish you well.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Yep I knew it, OK I just installed iElectribe Gorillas one of my favorite music apps and not everything is looks good with this new resolution. Company's are defiantly going to have to update their stuff. Things that have a lot of pictures to labor buttons are a little fuzzy. Easy fix I'm sure. IMS20 and the original IElectribe looks pretty good though. OK installing iWork.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nice 'gadget pron'!

- 1gb RAM (finally) = Check

- New GPU/same CPU = Check

- Very capable battery/same-ish size = Check

- New-ish camera module = Check

- New Display panel = Check

... and that's about it, as well as just enough to keep most users satisfied until about a year from now.

The quality of the screen is spectacular as is the graphics perforance ... and ties into 1080p imaging to combine with iTV for wireless Airplay interfacing with existing most TVs.

battery is same hourly rate, but is 70% more capacity to do so.

Reason is 4x more pixels and much more demanding ... thus 4x the GPU performance

plus 1 gig of Ram vs 512 in previous iPad models.

Also the camera is much better ... approx the same as in iPhone 4s

Also added a new dictation feature with a direct access key on the virtural keyboard.

Plus 4G radios for universal use with all carriers. Specific software mods will be used by Verizon and Att.

plus bluetooth 4.o which is much less power demanding.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    Quote:

I wish you well.

Oh thank you I appreciate that. It sucks just lying here the most. I do have a lot of gizmos with me but to be honest with you I'm just really wiped out so I sleep all day. Not right now though.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

battery is same hourly rate, but is 70% more capacity to do so.

Reason is 4x more pixels and much more demanding ... thus 4x the GPU performance

plus 1 gig of Ram vs 512 in previous iPad models.

Also the camera is much better ... approx the same as in iPhone 4s

Oh the graphics thanks for reminding me. Need to install Modern Combat 3 tobtest graphic chip.