Walmart to sell new iPad at midnight on Friday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Big-box retailer Walmart is scheduled to start sales of the new iPad at 12:01 a.m. on March 16, beating Apple's own retail outlets to the punch.

Walmart has announced that it will be selling certain versions of Apple's new iPad shortly after midnight at 24-hour locations, which is a full eight hours ahead of Apple Stores' scheduled 8:00 a.m. launch time.

With online pre-orders depleted, customers looking to get the hotly anticipated new tablet on launch day have few options and can only hope to score a unit by waiting in line before resellers begin sales on Friday.

The retail giant will sell the 16GB Wi-Fi version of the device in either black or white for $499, though it is unclear if 4G LTE models will become available later in the day.

Along with Apple's own retail outlets and Walmart, Best Buy, RadioShack, Sams Club and Target are slated to take part in launch day sales. LTE-enabled models will also be available for purchase at Verizon and AT&T stores.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    everybody, move the camping tents to Walmart, now, go go go!!! )
  • Reply 2 of 49
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    If you are in Australia, you could already buy one because they went on sale at midnight at a couple Telstra stores in Sydney.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/techno...82E0O420120315
  • Reply 3 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

If you are in Australia, you could already buy one because they went on sale at midnight at a couple Telstra stores in Sydney.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/techno...82E0O420120315

I would wager that the vast majority of readers on this site live a lot closer to a Wal Mart than they do to a Telstra store in Australia.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Perhaps Wal-Mart got the idea from Telestra. From what I read the crowds were a little smaller in Australia than for the iPad 2 rollout, but I'm guessing it's because last year there were no pre-orders.

In any case, I'll gladly wait for the FedEx truck tomorrow. Actually, it will arrive while I'm at the office, so it will be there when I get home.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Wow, Wal-Mart wants to beat the Apple Stores to the punch. Pretty clever. I'd get one from Wal-Mart, then sell it to the highest bidder with cash standing in line at the Apple Store, for a reasonable mark up. Free market, baby. Free market.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

In any case, I'll gladly wait for the FedEx truck tomorrow. Actually, it will arrive while I'm at the office, so it will be there when I get home.

I hope you have someone at home to accept and sign it for you. I am sure you are not foolish enough to pre-sign on the fedex website and have them leave it by your door. I am sure there will be some scum of the earth just walking through neighborhoods looking for a certain package size at doors on Friday.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wow, Wal-Mart wants to beat the Apple Stores to the punch. Pretty clever. I'd get one from Wal-Mart, then sell it to the highest bidder with cash standing in line at the Apple Store, for a reasonable mark up. Free market, baby. Free market.

Eek!

Many people here hate those who buy Apple products specifically for resale. They call them Scalpers.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wow, Wal-Mart wants to beat the Apple Stores to the punch. Pretty clever. )

It's not about beating Apple to the punch so much as getting folks to walk into a Walmart. Many folks go their whole lives never doing that because they think that Walmart is some slum for white trash etc.

But now they can go to the local Walmart and try to get the iPad they couldn't preorder and if the tiny ass stock is sold out there's still plenty of time to go hop in the line at the local Apple store
  • Reply 9 of 49
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I would wager that the vast majority of readers on this site live a lot closer to a Wal Mart than they do to a Telstra store in Australia.

I heard a rumor that even the kangaroos were in line waiting at Telstra to get their paws on one.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Perhaps Wal-Mart got the idea from Telestra. From what I read the crowds were a little smaller in Australia than for the iPad 2 rollout, but I'm guessing it's because last year there were no pre-orders.

Not if I get to your home before you get home from work.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Eek!

Many people here hate those who buy Apple products specifically for resale. They call them Scalpers.

There's nothing wrong with one person getting an extra iPad and selling it for higher if they can, but it's the professional scalpers who are the scum of the earth. I'm talking about kinds who operate in groups, like some sleazy little band of filthy, degenerate criminals.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

Eek!

In China, apple store won't allow you to form the line to buy at 1st day of release due to those "Scalplers".
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There's nothing wrong with one person getting an extra iPad and selling it for higher if they can, but it's the professional scalpers who are the scum of the earth. I'm talking about kinds who operate in groups, like some sleazy little band of filthy, degenerate criminals.

You mean corporations? I agree, scum of the earth.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    I wouldn't buy anything from Walmart if my life depended on it.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

I hope you have someone at home to accept and sign it for you. I am sure you are not foolish enough to pre-sign on the fedex website and have them leave it by your door. I am sure there will be some scum of the earth just walking through neighborhoods looking for a certain package size at doors on Friday.

I live in a building with a doorman. Otherwise, I'd have had it sent to my office.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    I usually have the high-ticket items sent to the office, simply so there is no possible way they will sit on the doorstep at home (both due to possibly walk/drive by thievery or weather/water damage)

I've had packages arrive before the office was open, but they usually make another attempt to deliver an hour later (such was the situation with my iPad smart cover).

I am guessing it will arrive here sometime tomorrow around 10am (the iPad).
  • Reply 17 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I wouldn't buy anything from Walmart if my life depended on it.

+1

Walmart destroys every mom and pop store in small towns and now wants to undercut the big boys as well. Low life's.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

Eek!

So don't buy it from a Live Auctioner
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

I live in a building with a doorman. Otherwise, I'd have had it sent to my office.

Do you live in Salt Lake City... The reason I ask... Could that be "Norman Borman, the Mormon doorman"?

Apologies to Bob Newhart.

• Reply 20 of 49
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I wonder if this is for all Walmart stores, or just the "super centers"?

Either way, I can see the lovely display, crammed between the 40-piece boxes of deep fried chicken, the 10lb tubs of lard, and acres of cheap, recyclicable clothing (i.e, the stuff that falls apart after your first laundry attempt).

Then you must also deal with those that actually like Walmart and shop there, so well documented at the People of Walmart website. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

If I had not pre-ordered mine, I would much rather stand in any que at an actual Apple Store than deal with that hot mess!