Customers, press amass for launch of Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

I really doubt he arranged it. Otherwise, he would have arranged for someone more important to interview him. I would imagine that someone else in the line tweeted that Woz was there at the Apple Store. Someone from this site saw it on twitter and went out with a low budget camera and question girl. It's only semi-professional quality at best.

The girl did a wonder job interviewing Woz. The genuineness of the reporter and Woz matched making it a very pleasant and informative interview. You can't get more professional than that.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Eaton Centre is not too busy but there is short wait to get in. Perhaps I should say that the store opened two hours ago, and now seems like a better time to stop by to get your new iPad. The 3rd floor of the mall does seem a bit unusually busy considering there is only that one certain store open. LOL There is also no less than two tv news crews outside the store.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wrap my head around Woz waiting in line all night for an Apple product. I assume he could probably have been giving some early access if he wanted so this seems to be focused around publicity. Maybe he enjoys the waiting but my distaste for waiting can't let me see past how one could find it enjoyable even when they don't have to.

Samsung offers the very best in sour grape marketing techniques.

That's Woz... He is a very open individual and likes to mingle with people who appreciate well-designed technology. I think he enjoys being a celebrity but doesn't let it turn his head...

If you asked him, he would probably say he is a good engineer who was lucky to have been one of the Apple founders.

• Reply 44 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I really doubt he arranged it. Otherwise, he would have arranged for someone more important to interview him. I would imagine that someone else in the line tweeted that Woz was there at the Apple Store. Someone from this site saw it on twitter and went out with a low budget camera and question girl. It's only semi-professional quality at best.

In the video the reporter states they saw him log in on Foursquare at the Century Mall Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The girl did a wonder job interviewing Woz. The genuineness of the reporter and Woz matched making it a very pleasant and informative interview. You can't get more professional than that.

She did a great job. She was familiar with his past line waiting, seemed interested and happy to be interviewing him, and asked a wide range of relevant questions. Plus she's damn cute.

It's interesting that Woz has been buying the low capacity iPads up and until today.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you asked him, he would probably say he is a good engineer who was lucky to have been one of the Apple founders.

In the video he seems to elude to personal issues with Jobs but quickly turns that into a lot of championing of what Jobs has done for him, computing, and the world at large. He definitely seems like a great guy... but I still can't imagine waiting in a line if I don't have to. Not having to wait in lines was primary goal in becoming independently wealthy.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Eh? Do you reckon Woz arranged to be interviewed while in the queue? Or am I just naive?

Quote:

The girl says she saw him check in on foursquare and ran down to interview him.

Did anyone notice he said he has a few iPhones with verizon 4g LTE and they are fast? I wonder if he meant to say iPads?
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Eaton Centre is not too busy but there is short wait to get in. Perhaps I should say that the store opened two hours ago, and now seems like a better time to stop by to get your new iPad. The 3rd floor of the mall does seem a bit unusually busy considering there is only that one certain store open. LOL There is also no less than two tv news crews outside the store.

Lining up is not really a Canadian thing. Even having a hundred people at the Centre is like having 600 people in NYC. Vancouver's Apple store has about 60-70 people which is a long line by Canadian standards.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You've got it all wrong. This is the fruit of clever marketing.

Marketing of what? The new iPad? Apple? Woz?
  • Reply 49 of 70
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    I loved Woz on The Big Band Theory.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:

In the video the reporter states they saw him log in on Foursquare at the Century Mall Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA.

She did a great job. She was familiar with his past line waiting, seemed interested and happy to be interviewing him, and asked a wide range of relevant questions. Plus she's damn cute.

I only watched the first 1:30 and got bored, so I missed the part where she saw him on Foursquare. Thanks for pointing that out. The girl did a fine job asking questions, the filming seemed low budget mostly. I can't imagine this being on NBC Nightly News, but then again they keep putting Chelsea Clinton on there as a reporter and this girl definitely did better than Clinton does.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

Did anyone notice he said he has a few iPhones with verizon 4g LTE and they are fast? I wonder if he meant to say iPads?

He said he has a number of phones with Verizon LTE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I loved Woz on The Big Band Theory.

Season 04 Episode 02 - The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification

Quote:

I only watched the first 1:30 and got bored, so I missed the part where she saw him on Foursquare. Thanks for pointing that out. The girl did a fine job asking questions, the filming seemed low budget mostly. I can't imagine this being on NBC Nightly News, but then again they keep putting Chelsea Clinton on there as a reporter and this girl definitely did better than Clinton does.

It was definitely low budget. The lighting and sound told me that.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

Season 04 Episode 02 - The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification

Thank you Master.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    but where's the magic stylus! Apple is doomed! /s
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:

In the video he seems to elude to personal issues with Jobs but quickly turns that into a lot of championing of what Jobs has done for him, computing, and the world at large. He definitely seems like a great guy... but I still can't imagine waiting in a line if I don't have to. Not having to wait in lines was primary goal in becoming independently wealthy.

Yeah... But, sometimes you need to go out amongst 'em to see and hear what's really happening... As opposed to reading a blog or watching a YT video.

The nearest Apple store is 30 miles, so I order online... But for the iPad 2, I visited the local BestBuy and Target stores just to gage the interest.

Waiting in line, talking, joking -- is an excellent opportunity to get genuine opinions about a product/company in which you are heavily invested... And, in its own way, it's fun!

• Reply 55 of 70
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    I think he just wants to be surprised along with every one else. The guy walks around with 8 freaking phones all the time because he likes the different features they have and he's just like a lot of us in loving to play with his gadgets. So if he gets a prerelease he would have been done with the excitement when everyone else is just getting into it.

Lol, The Woz. Lol.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yet they make ads mocking this. I'd liked to see someone make a parody of a Samsung ad showing no line ...

You could take it a step further by having someone go into a Samsung store. The punch line is the customer and the salesperson struggle to make the sale because of the massive piles of boxes of unsold inventory being in the way.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I agree with this. He seems like a nice, genuine fella, but I can't even begin to understand where he's coming from with wanting to stand outside. And being weird isn't a bad thing it's just an unusual thing. Perhaps the world would be a better place with more Woz's and less Jobs's.

Seriously. Vive le difference!

Quote:

If I could have gotten a pre-release iPad I would have taken it. Hell, I kind of want to become a successful tech blogger just so I can get pre-release HW.

I reckon you could. You've got the nous. You have to freshen up on your spelling, though, or not post via your iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

Yet they make ads mocking this. I'd liked to see someone make a parody of a Samsung ad showing no line ...

And it would go like this:

- We watch a dude walk beside an Apple line shaking his head, mockingly.

<camera switches to a 'red' store across the street>

- We watch him walk across the street to a 'red' store with a big Samsung tablet on the window, he's wearing a 'kid-at-Christmas-smile'.

<camera switches down to his hands, we watch him fold up his ad for a Samsung tablet that's 200 bucks (or whatever).>

<camera changes back to the front of the store>

- We watch him walk out of the store.

<camera changes to the Apple line>

- We watch him cross the street, and get in the back of the line.

- We watch him being welcomed with open arms, and eventually cheered walking out with his new iPad.

• Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You have to freshen up on your spelling, though, or not post via your iPhone.

Let's go ahead and blame autocorrect for my lack of proofreading.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I got to agree. There were a few potentially embarrassing pauses which were quickly and smoothly traversed. I mean, there really isn't much to say, is there? Everybody knows everything about the iPad so there aren't many intelligent questions that can be asked. And the whole issue of Woz being there... again, not much to say without it getting very awkward. I would have liked to have heard a few words from Woz's wife, however. She was there wasn't she?