Lines for launch of Apple's new iPad declared 'better than expected'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I waited in line for the iPhone 4 on its release date. It was actually kind of fun. I showed up at 6 AM (or was it 5?) at the Apple Store in downtown Portland. There were about 50 people in line and I thought "Huh. So much for the hype." And then I realized the line didn't end at the entrance to the mall. It snaked around the block. There were hundreds of people waiting at that one store, and the scene was being repeated across the country, as we all remember I'm sure.

It felt like a party with so many people coming together for the same reason, and everyone seemed glad to be there. We were all chatting with strangers and laughing. People were running in shifts to anyplace nearby that had food. I've been an Apple fan for nearly 20 years, and I felt glad to soak up a bit of the excitement of the new Apple during one of its biggest days yet.

Back then you also didn't have any snarky idiots with Samsung Notes hanging around the lines showing off their bad penmanship...
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha two dolts on Fox Business just asked the question if it was time to upgrade to the new iPad and both of them said absolutely not. Neither of these were tech geeks so I don't get what exactly they want to make them upgrade? It has retina display, 4G LTE, dictation and faster graphics. What exactly are they expecting?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Look at it this way the iPad 4 will be as big a step as the 3, that doesn't make the 3 a bad buy or a bad upgrade. It is really a question of is your current device good enough for you. Maybe it is or isn't but it cuts at their credibility to make absolute statements.

They were on Fox News, their "credibility" is already cut...
  • Reply 63 of 69

What in the world would make Martha Stewart Cookies to be larger than the sum of ALL of the programs in this list?

Good Grief!!!
  • Reply 64 of 69
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Look how many millions of people JUST bought the iPad2 through theholidays. You honestly think the average person is going to run out and buy the newerish one launch weekend because the screen may be a little better?

No.

I honestly think the average person is going to run out and buy one simply because it is a new iPad.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    love how they got the Apple employees clapping and making all the excitement. It's like a live concert event to try and get the excitement levels up.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsinmotion View Post

love how they got the Apple employees clapping and making all the excitement. It's like a live concert event to try and get the excitement levels up.

Went to the Apple store this morning, but didn't feel like waiting in line longer than 10 minutes.

Went to Best Buy. No line, but the rep said they sold out of the 40 white ones they got the previous day. Black and 3G models were still available, but every minute I was in there had a person buy one, so they were moving fast.

This is my first iPad. It makes me hate looking at every other monitor in my house.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

Correct, I and all my friends who pre-ordered are first time Retina Display iPad buyers. We all also have iPad 1, 2 or both.

I bought all three Black 64GB ATT on day one. Still have both the first two. I read a survey this week that says half the owners of old iPads will buy the new one within the first 90 days of availability. So the poster who thinks it's only for new customers is mistaken.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    In hong kong where the grey market of importing Apple products to china , the grey importer profit Is weaker than iPad 2 because people in china who were used to buy apple products to show their rich off aren’t interested in the new iPad coz of its external design is the same as iPad 2 .

I really doubt if Apple makes the shortage on purpose . I am worried the sales of the new iPad as an Apple shareholder .

I live in hong kong and work in part of the grey market
  • Reply 69 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

In hong kong where the grey market of importing Apple products to china , the grey importer profit Is weaker than iPad 2 because people in china who were used to buy apple products to show their rich off aren’t interested in the new iPad coz of its external design is the same as iPad 2 .

I really doubt if Apple makes the shortage on purpose . I am worried the sales of the new iPad as an Apple shareholder .

I live in hong kong and work in part of the grey market

I don't buy that the same case design is a problem, there is some history or other recent news that you're not considering that shows it generally doesn't prevent the newer model from easily outselling the previous one.

Not only is the new model handily beating iPad 2 sales with record preorders (see here), also, the 3Gs had beaten the 3G, and 4s beat the 4, all despite having the same general device design and no externally distinguishing feature except the tiny label on the back. The screen difference is a lot easier to spot than the identifying label.

Sure, the grey market is a part of the picture, but it's not the whole picture or necessarily a bellwether.

Something else that doesn't fit is the screen is such an obvious tell whether someone really has the latest version or not. The iPhones that used the same case didn't have the benefit of something so obviously improved that it's easy to see with a short glance.