Verizon 4G LTE iPad works on AT&T 3G network with micro-SIM card

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Though there are two 4G LTE iPad models for the networks of AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., customers who buy the Verizon-compatible 4G LTE iPad can also access AT&T's 3G network if they have a compatible micro-SIM card.

The new Verizon iPad includes a micro-SIM card slot to allow users to roam on 3G networks worldwide. But as discovered by a forum member at MacRumors, it also allows owners of the Verizon iPad to use a micro-SIM card to connect to AT&T's 3G network in the U.S.

User "jsnuff1" bought a new iPad Friday and took the AT&T micro-SIM card out of their iPhone 4S. Placing it into the iPad and entering the AT&T APN carrier settings then allowed them to connect to AT&T's 3G data network.

When connected to an AT&T HSDPA network, the iPad will even display that it is connected to a "4G" network, reflecting the change made in the iOS 5.1 software update. However, the Verizon iPad cannot connect to AT&T's 4G LTE network, only its high-speed HSDPA network.

To distinguish between the two, the new iPad shows "LTE" in the upper left corner when it is connected to a true 4G LTE network. AT&T's HSDPA network is capable of speeds similar to 4G, which is why it shows as such.

Apple released two different 4G LTE models of the new iPad to connect to the unique frequencies of the respective networks of AT&T and Verizon. But while those who buy the AT&T 4G LTE iPad will not be able to use it on Verizon's network no matter what, Verizon 4G LTE iPad owners can still switch to AT&T's 3G network if they choose.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    So much for buying an AT&T version of the new iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

No kidding...wonder if that is somehow a mistake as it seems odd Apple would want such a thing to happen.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    The article is saying that the iPad is unlocked, not that you have the same kind of access on AT&T. You don't get LTE speeds when connected to AT&T's network on a Verizon iPad. It is not a mistake.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The new Verizon iPad includes a micro-SIM card slot to allow users to roam on 3G networks worldwide. But as discovered by a forum member at MacRumors, it also allows owners of the Verizon iPad to use a micro-SIM card to connect to AT&T's 3G network in the U.S.

So the articles I have read about this seem to react as this is a big surprise, which I don't understand. If it is compatible with 3G networks worldwide, why would the US be excluded? It seems to me that it is working exactly as designed. \

-kpluck
  • Reply 5 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I would've preferred seeing the iPad switched from VZs LTE to ATTs 3G, or some confirmation from other people.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    This is the way it is supposed to work. Any of the LTE versions were stated to be compatible with world-wide GSM 3G networks. So by definition, Verizon iPad should work with ATT's 3g.

In the meantime I just measured LTE speed with my brand new AT&T iPAD.

And my jaw has dropped: FREAKING 35 mb per second!

This is 3x faster than my cable provider.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

This is the way it is supposed to work. Any of the LTE versions were stated to be compatible with world-wide GSM 3G networks. So by definition, Verizon iPad should work with ATT's 3g.

Do we know for sure it can't access the AT&T LTE network. I can understand if they used an iPhone 4 sim which is not LTE capable it might not work, however has anyone tried taking the AT&T LTE sim and put in the Verizon new iPad?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T's HSDPA network is capable of speeds similar to 4G, which is why it shows as such.

Can anyone explain how AT&T is getting away with this? "Similar" to 4G is not 4G. Speeds are numerically defined -- and yes, yes, I know that the standards are not widely agreed-to just yet. But a 3rd grader could understand that 3G + a little more, is not the same as 4G.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Plus the fact that AT&T has already crippled the device right out of the box- NO hot spotting allowed.

It's a no brainer.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Isn't that about a minutes worth of use and your 250MB At&T data usage is used up for the month?

(I may be off been working 12 hour graveyard shifts all month straight!)

If so, that was worth 15 dollars.....
  • Reply 11 of 35
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    The news here is that with iPad2 there was a Verizon version and an AT&T version. The Verizon only worked in N America, while AT&T could work on 3G GSM networks in Europe and Australia (which are compatible with US AT&T 3G).

With iPad3, even the Verizon version has At&T 3G hardware built-in. Which means all iPad3s will run on USA AT&T and Europe/Australia GSM Networks. Even Verizon. Good news for AT&T versions. GREAT news for Verizon customers.

LTE only supported in N America.

Jim
  • Reply 12 of 35
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Isn't that about a minutes worth of use and your 250MB At&T data usage is used up for the month?

(I may be off been working 12 hour graveyard shifts all month straight!)

If so, that was worth 15 dollars.....

Actually, I bought 3GB plan for $30 for occasional youtube and tv watching while I am out of WIFI access.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Actually, I bought 3GB plan for $30 for occasional youtube and tv watching while I am out of WIFI access.

Yeah, that is the plan I would get too. Mainly my comment is criticizing the pathetic data plans offered by the corrupt/greedy service providers we have to use for net access on the go.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Got my ATT iPad in today and upon confirming my suspicions that the speeds still were poor I took it to the Apple Store and they swapped it out for a Verizon model.

ATT has always been good to me but I recently moved to a new part of the country and I've been very dissatisfied with the service.

Verizon says my account is ready but it still giving me errors, I'm sure they are getting swamped today with activations.

From reading the article and about the free hotspot tethering, it seems like the Verizon model was the right decision.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This was all stated during the event.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    At&t LTE in downtown manhattan is great! 22 Mb/s down and 20 up.

They also grandfathered in my unlimited plan, so I can't complain.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do we know for sure it can't access the AT&T LTE network. I can understand if they used an iPhone 4 sim which is not LTE capable it might not work, however has anyone tried taking the AT&T LTE sim and put in the Verizon new iPad?

It will not work. AT&T and Verizon are in different parts of the 700Mhz band.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It will not work. AT&T and Verizon are in different parts of the 700Mhz band.

That is not what I am questioning. The Verizon iPad has a GSM radio for roaming around the world. Is that radio different than the radio in the AT&T iPad or not? That is the question. If it is the same GSM radio it should work on AT&T LTE once it has the right sim.

I ordered an unlocked LTE device compatible with AT&T and put my old 3G sim in it. It worked fine but didn't get 4G LTE until I went to the AT&T store and got a genuine AT&T LTE sim.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is not what I am questioning. The Verizon iPad has a GSM radio for roaming around the world. Is that radio different than the radio in the AT&T iPad or not? That is the question. If it is the same GSM radio it should work on AT&T LTE once it has the right sim.

You seem dense tonight. YES it's obviously different. Each carrier's iPad does not work on the other's LTE frequencies as they are first and foremost in different parts of 700 and AT&T is using LTE in 2100 in a few areas as well, which is not supported on the Verizon model. Also the AT&T has zero CDMA support at all. How hard is that to comprehend? Both support global 2 and 3G GSM frequencies. A quick scan of the tech specs on Apple's own site would tell you that.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

You seem dense tonight. YES it's obviously different. Each carrier's iPad does not work on the other's LTE frequencies as they are first and foremost in different parts of 700 and AT&T is using LTE in 2100 in a few areas as well, which is not supported on the Verizon model. Also the AT&T has zero CDMA support at all. How hard is that to comprehend? Both support global 2 and 3G GSM frequencies. A quick scan of the tech specs on Apple's own site would tell you that.

Possibly it is because English is not my first language but can you confirm that the GSM / (maybe combined with LTE) radio found in the Verizon iPad is different from the GSM/LTE radio found in the AT&T iPad or not? I'm not sure if I am asking that question clearly enough in English or not. This question has absolutely nothing to do with Verizon LTE frequencies or CDMA. Perhaps we need to wait for a teardown of the Verizon model.