Apple 'thrilled' with record launch of new iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The new iPad got off to a record start on its launch weekend, with sales over the first three days that have "thrilled" Apple executives.

During his company's dividend and share repurchase announcement conference call, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was asked on Monday by analyst Gene Munster if he would announce sales of the new iPad. Cook declined to do so, but did reveal that the new iPad got off to a record start.

"We had a record weekend and we're thrilled with it," Cook said.

Apple's third-generation iPad launched last Friday, featuring a new high-resolution Retina display along with an improved A5X processor and higher quality rear camera. It is also Apple's first 4G LTE-capable device.

Cook said at the start of Monday's call that, as of last quarter, Apple had sold a total of 55 million iPads. But those figures did not include the most recent quarter, including the launch of the new iPad.

One projection issued prior to Friday's launch forecast Apple to sell one million of the new iPad over the launch weekend. Investors generally expect Apple to sell 10.1 million total iPads in the current fiscal quarter, which concludes at the end of this month.

Back in 2010, Apple sold more than 300,000 iPads on the first-generation product's launch day. Supply for the iPad 2 launch was very constrained, and Apple did not give a launch-day sales figure.

Apple previously stated that demand for the new iPad is "off the charts" after preorders for the device sold out. The new iPad went on sale last Friday in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We had a record weekend and we're thrilled with it," Cook said.

So what was the previous record? What sort of hard number can we extrapolate?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Apple says it is thrilled, but Wall Street is disappointed that iPad sales are not as good as expected. I don't understand why there is such a wide gap of what is good sales and what isn't. Apple is selling more tablets than any company by a long shot. The iPad is an industry changer and yet Wall Street feels that is not good enough. When a company is practically selling every unit it produces due to high demand, how much more can be expected?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple says it is thrilled, but Wall Street is disappointed that iPad sales are not as good as expected. I don't understand why there is such a wide gap of what is good sales and what isn't. Apple is selling more tablets than any company by a long shot. The iPad is an industry changer and yet Wall Street feels that is not good enough. When a company is practically selling every unit it produces due to high demand, how much more can be expected?

What makes you conclude that "Wall Street is disappointed"?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

AAPL is +8.91 as I type this.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Since Apple hasn't released any sales figure how does wall street know if they're as good as expected?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Tim Cook, the luckiest man in the world. I would imagine he will be thrilled a lot over the next few years.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    This is like a news article "Plane Lands Safely at Airport," or "Gravity Works Downward Today."

It would only be news if Apple were devastated that the iPad is a success.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Tim Cook, the luckiest man in the world. I would imagine he will be thrilled a lot over the next few years.

If by that you mean the benefits from dividends -- Tim asked that his unvested stock benefits not participate in the dividend program. He is not banking future stock dividends.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If by that you mean the benefits from dividends -- Tim asked that his unvested stock benefits not participate in the dividend program. He is not banking future stock dividends.

Good point. But I was simply referring to his title and position.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I took that to mean that if he was thrilled over this iPad launch, he'll be thrilled a lot as they launch other products.
  • Reply 11 of 51
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Hi,

I was in Malaysia on Friday and nearly took 45 minutes plane to Singapore just to get the new iPad, but then thought about the plane ticket cost, taxi cost, food bill, still to include the new iPad costs not a good idea.

Anyway will wait for the launch in India.

Nigel
  • Reply 13 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Hi,

I was in Malaysia on Friday and nearly took 45 minutes plane to Singapore just to get the new iPad, but then thought about the plane ticket cost, taxi cost, food bill, still to include the new iPad costs not a good idea.

Anyway will wait for the launch in India.

Nigel

Oh that's sad. There are plenty to be found here. My husband even says the friggen Post Office has them now. When I'm out of this blasted hospital bed give a private message I think we could arrange getting one to you.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Good point. But I was simply referring to his title and position.

That'll be the 'luck' that totally transformed Apple's supply chain, drove Billions of US Dollars of cash back into their business, enabled them to sell and ship millions of devices in a few days. That 'luck'?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emjay247 View Post

Pre-order tomorrow or something and then that image

What is this I don't even...
  • Reply 16 of 51
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.

My guess is that you are wrong, and that factors other than demand account for what you saw.

My guess is that Apple sold more than 2 million.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Apple probably sold 3-4 million this weekend.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

My guess is that you are wrong, and that factors other than demand account for what you saw.

My guess is that Apple sold more than 2 million.

They had at least 450k from online sales right?

they definitely moved over a million easily...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

They had at least 450k from online sales right?

they definitely moved over a million easily...

How many are those new users and how many are current iPad users. That would be an interesting break up to see, then again probably hard to produce such stats. Probably most were current iPad owners, new buyers will come later after Apple nuts get their fill.