Apple stock closes past $600 milestone for first time

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Riding on a stock incentives plan and reports of record third-generation sales, Apple stock on Monday finally surged past the once elusive $600 barrier it has been tickling for the past few days.

After days of passing $600 intraday prices, only to fall back below the mark by the close of trading, Apple shares received a $15.53 bump which represented a 2.65 percent on Monday to finish at $601.10 for the first time in company history.

Apple stock has seen a meteoric rise, and has gained over 200 points since the end of December 2011.

The watershed price was fueled in part by an announcement earlier in the day in which CEO Tim Cook revealed that the company will be using part of its $100 billion in cash to offer a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share and initiate a stock buyback program. The dividends are scheduled to kick in during Apple's fourth fiscal quarter of 2012, which begins on July 1. Both initiatives are expected to cost the company $45 billion over the next three years.

Another factor driving the bump in price per share was Cook's statement regarding the record-setting launch weekend enjoyed by Apple's third-generation iPad.

It was revealed after the markets closed on Monday that since the tablet's March 16 launch date, some 3 million new iPads were sold by Apple's retail stores and authorized resellers. The number does not include pre-orders made through Apple's online store, which were reportedly so voluminous that shipping companies were having trouble keeping up with deliveries on launch day.

Apple stock has enjoyed a steady rise, and is now worth over $600 per share. | Source:

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Steve has a big smile looking down...

Well done Team Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Only $33 per share to go before Apple is finally worth more than Google!

And THAT, chronster, was a trolling comment.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought Apple was already worth A LOT more than Google?
  • Reply 4 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You just don't get it do you?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Worth more per share, hence it being a trolling comment. AAPL is at 604.30, GOOG is at 632.75. Apple's valuation is about 2.75x more than Google.
  • Reply 6 of 57

AAPL market cap is now $150 Billion greater than XOM... AIR, they were trading places a month, or so, ago..

AAPL $ 560,447,607,000

XOM $ 410,003,094,790

The new iPad is going to revolutionize the way you poop while playing pointless games.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ban the Troll!
  • Reply 8 of 57
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Since December: 400 500 600

Next Stops: 700 800 900

And it gets so much easier....

500 was a 25% gain from 400

600 was a 20% gain from 500

700 is 17% from 600

800 is 14% from 700

900 is 13% from 800
  • Reply 9 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I bought some AAPL today @600.50 in the premarket in anticipation of the financial announcement.

About 10 minutes later, some huge fucking bear comes along and swoosh! AAPL drops $15 in about 2 minutes.

Luckily for me, things turned out ok, because I just hung onto it and I held it until it slowly climbed it's way back up.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Now the shareholders have their dividends is there any chance the share price will stabilise and we can get back to talking about the products.

Maybe someone should create a forum specifically for Apple shareholders to whine on incessantly about the share price and the dividend to their hearts content without boring the rest of us to tears.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    leeeh2leeeh2 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

700 is 17% from 600

800 is 14% from 700

900 is 13% from 800

LoL, That is the Law of Large Numbers!

I liked the 1, 2 punch. Apple announces dividend and buy back before the market opens; then Apple announces record 3 millions sales of the new iPad after close.

And of course, Apple is Doomed.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    leeeh2leeeh2 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Maybe someone should create a forum specifically for Apple shareholders to whine on incessantly about the share price and the dividend to their hearts content without boring the rest of us to tears.

We can call it, "AppleInsider Trading"!
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I bought some AAPL today @600.50 in the premarket in anticipation of the financial announcement.

About 10 minutes later, some huge fucking bear comes along and swoosh! AAPL drops $15 in about 2 minutes.

Luckily for me, things turned out ok, because I just hung onto it and I held it until it slowly climbed it's way back up.

Now that you've taken the plunge: forget that you bought it, for a good while. Take the long view.

Don't be like Ireland.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

Actually, you would be in the wrong forum, because this is AAPL Investors.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    . . .
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now that you've taken the plunge: forget that you bought it, for a good while. Take the long view.

Don't be like Ireland.

I can admit when I'm wrong, and I've definitely made a couple of wrong moves lately. I guess my excuse is that I am new to this whole thing, so it was kind of exciting.

I did sell today, so I'm holding nothing at the moment. But, I am definitely going long soon, when the next opportunity presents itself. I am not waiting for a huge pullback, because that might not happen, and people will end up waiting forever, but I am waiting on a little pullback at least.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Apple announces a $2.65 dividend and then closes UP 2.65%. If that aint a sign from the Longview Gods, then I don't know what is!
  • Reply 18 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Now the shareholders have their dividends is there any chance the share price will stabilise and we can get back to talking about the products.

Why not skip the posts with headings specifically about such things? To post such a whine on a thread specifically about such things is boring me to tears.

p.s. Why not buy a few and feel the joy yourself. Heck, I bough both of my grandkids a very modest amount a few years back and see today they are worth north of 22K! I assure you you won't regret it in about five years.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

700 is 17% from 600

800 is 14% from 700

900 is 13% from 800

Now re do it taking into account the time between these gains and see what the % gain is in time periods.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why not skip the posts with headings specifically about such things? To post such a whine on a thread specifically about such things is boring me to tears.

p.s. Why not buy a few and feel the joy yourself. Heck, I bough both of my grandkids a very modest amount a few years back and see today they are worth north of 22K! I assure you you won't regret it in about five years.

I will do just that coz honestly all this share price and dividends stuff bores me to death.

If you didn't invest 2 or 3 years ago before the share price skyrocketed there really is no point investing now. To get the same returns APPL would have to rise to $1200.

Good luck with your shares. I hope they make you very rich. It's not for me though.