Infrared test shows new iPad running 10 degrees hotter than iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I was playing around with a 4G LTE model at the local Apple Store and those iPads are turned on and plugged in and already running as hot as they can. I played one of those high resolution games and there was a section that ran hotter than the rest, but as i played the game, it didn't generate any amount of heat that I thought was unbearable at all. It was just a little warmer. Not a big deal.

I wonder if the so-called problem is worse on a 64 GB version due to the increased amount of memory. Other than that, i don't see any problem with these new systems.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I've noticed it runs hot in the lower left corner, especially when plugged in. I'm assuming Apple is 100% aware and signed-off as a trade-off to the beautiful screen. It is definitely a compromise. I've love the fact my iPad 2 runs so cool

The next rev should take care of the heat as they dramatically shrink the internal components (LTE chipset, A5X, core memory, RAM, efficiencies in the display). The internal efficiency gains should be dramatic

Now I understand better why Apple did not increase the CPU clock speed or go 4-core. They did everything possible to get the screen out the door
  • Reply 43 of 80
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Fahrenheit! You Americans use quaint lingo..

(Late edit...my rant isn't directed at the author of the previous post...I actually agree that Fahrenheit is quaint. But...)

You use Celsius? Let me worship you like the temperature-knowing god that you are. I've met many..."non-Americans" who inexplicably take pride in the fact that they use Celsius. I understand that the entire world using the metric system is ideal for education and science, but...

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me? I've met Brits who quite literally look at their stupid smartphone to gauge temperature, and then suddenly wax intelligentsia about how superior Celsius is and how stupid Americans are for using Fahrenheit...as though using Celsius told them anything more than using Fahrenheit told me, and as though they had any choice in the matter what was taught to them when they grew up. Seriously, they look at their phones and feel smug about the fact that it says 25 instead of 77. ...No, you're right, this Obviously confers an enormous advantage and if I wasn't such a fat, stupid, lazy, litigious American, I'd have figured that out. If my phone had said 25 C, I'd have known to pick the white t-shirt and not the blue one.

Being pompous over something as ridiculous as a fixed scale is a sign of a lack of intelligence, not the opposite. When I begin my work as a climatologist or chemist I'll promptly convert to Celsius. Should take all of a few hours to adjust.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iPhone 4 - Antenna-gate

iPhone 4s - Battery-gate

iPad 3 - Heat-gate?

I don't think there's any doubt that this will become an issue. Some people are always looking for something to bitch about and will latch onto this. Just look at some of the snarky comments in this very thread. Soon we'll have the Apple discussion forums thread "views" counters proclaiming this a major issue. Then comes the "in depth" investigations by c|net for example, and of course the obligatory class action lawsuit filed by somebody claiming their iPad "burned" them.

So yes, "heat-gate" is coming and you can take that to the bank.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me? I've met Brits who quite literally look at their stupid smartphone to gauge temperature, and then suddenly wax intelligentsia about how superior Celsius is and how stupid Americans are for using Fahrenheit...as though using Celsius told them anything more than using Fahrenheit told me, and as though they had any choice in the matter what was taught to them when they grew up. Seriously, they look at their phones and feel smug about the fact that it says 25 instead of 77. ...No, you're right, this Obviously confers an enormous advantage and if I wasn't such a fat, stupid, lazy, litigious American, I'd have figured that out. If my phone had said 25 C, I'd have known to pick the white t-shirt and not the blue one.

You are right, metric is better for science but imperial is better for everyday life. What you want out of your measurement system, is to help you grasp a quantity is without having to see it. Relating that quantity to solid objects like a certain number of feet or stones does the job better than relating it to imaginary things like meters.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That bottom-left corner (bottom right in photo) definitely gets warm to the touch. The simple solution is to rotate the iPad 180 degrees.

I'm surprised that it's only 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I had never noticed the previous iPads getting warm and this one can get uncomfortable.

10° is a big difference especially that it get so close to the upper limit of the parameter set by Apple. I fear playing graphics intensive games or even movie watching will cause the iPad to overheat and shut itself down.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Is this something that only happens to a small number of units? Mine always seems cool to the touch. Seriously. I usually have the 'smart cover' over the back, but after I use it for a while and close it the back is pretty cool. Like that cold metallic feeling.

You guys are more read than I, but everything I've looked at with the new ARM (been studying their architecture) and even Nvidia chips document that they use less power, by significant amounts than the previous versions. Even with more cores added both on the CPU and GPU. How can this be true if people are saying that the 2 extra graphics cores are making the iPad "heat up"? Getting warmer would mean consuming more power. I think...

I would like to see a FLIR (great company by the way) image of a Tegra 3 being 'bench tested'. If it has both 4 CPU cores and 4 GPU cores, plus a 5th (downscaled) core, then i would imagine it would be burning hot by FLIR standards. Heck, I've read some apple hate comments saying the Tegra 3 has 12 cores and all the bench marks are faked... (totally wrong BTW).

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's the new processor. I love reading your thoughts though!

Note how it was determined - they ran GL Benchmark - which puts the GPUs to the maximum test. They are stressing the heck out of all four GPUs, so the heat generation is undoubtedly greater than the normal user would see. If you are doing something that stresses the GPU (action games, perhaps), then you might see it getting warm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm surprised by how warm my new iPad gets, but that's only because I never noticed my previous iPad 2 being even warm at all. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out. Do LTE iPads run hotter than wifi iPads (mine is wifi). I think mine runs hotter when in use while charging. It ran the warmest during the very first use as it was charging in the dock and installing gigs and gigs worth of data, music and apps.

It's certainly warm, but I wouldn't say hot.

Since LTE uses more energy than WiFi (as shown by shortened battery life), then using LTE would cause it to get warmer. However, the effect is probably considerably smaller than stressing the GPU cores.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

apparently for some people using it in the sun for 15-60 minutes causes a overheat

This same issue was reported with the iPad 1. It was a non-issue.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm surprised that it's only 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I had never noticed the previous iPads getting warm and this one can get uncomfortable.

Likely it depends on various factors, like what the iPad is doing at the time. This test may have been at "idle".
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Body temperature is 37°C, so the iPad is cooler than you are.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 1member
    It's the display's pixel/backlight driver circuitry making most of the heat. The circuitry is usually located at one edge of the panel that has the connectors, which in this case, the left side of the iPad.

Turn down the brightness setting (like under 70%) and there will be no heat.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    So it runs hotter and is heavier.

How is this a step forward?
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me?...

Water freezing is an easier concept for a Canadian to understand than boiling water is
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Tegra 3 features a low performance GPU that is sub iPad2 level. The current iPad is even a bigger beast. Performance brings heat. However, you always have the option of buying Android garbage that runs cooler if that is what matters to you.

I had no idea that the new A5X was so much better in GPU performance compared to the Tegra 3.

Thanks.

I wonder how it fares in pure number crunching, like for use in a gigantic spreadsheet?
  • Reply 55 of 80
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You are right, metric is better for science but imperial is better for everyday life. What you want out of your measurement system, is to help you grasp a quantity is without having to see it. Relating that quantity to solid objects like a certain number of feet or stones does the job better than relating it to imaginary things like meters.

You guys are talking nonsense. As a Brit, it's painfully (at times) obvious to me that we feel comfortable with whatever random units people are using when we grow up, it's not at all about what "feels right" or whatever, just learnt behaviour from your environment. Be glad you're not living in half-metric land. We Britons are truly fucked

For example, I:

? Have no concept of what a "pound" is other than £, for body weight is in Stone. Scales are all in Stone, so I weigh, for example, 13 1/4 Stone. What this means in pounds/ounces/kg I seriously have no idea off the top of my head.

? Measure all cooking in grams, no idea about ounces/pounds really except a pound is about half a kilo (eg. in beef) like a pint is half a litre (568ml is remembered due to beer). Though mainly use ml in cooking, want my pint of milk or beer.

? Measure distance in meters, then miles \ - Know that a yard is 90cm roughly, never use it though and find it confusing that road signs tell me how many yards something will be in, just because we use miles & mph.

? Know my height to be 5'11" (is that written right?) and 180cm, but generally measure stuff in cm, feet and meters. 4 inches of snow. 2 feet of water. 2cm bezel. 9mm thin.

? Couldn't tell Fahrenheit 451 from, well, anything. Summer newspapers confuse.

It makes sense, it just doesn't make sense. Be glad you're all imperial. Or, frenchies, be glad for your metricyness. We'll be using the British Standard of grams, kilos, pounds, stone, meters, feet, miles, inches, centimetres, millimetres, yards, centigrade and Fahrenheit
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iPhone 4 - Antenna-gate

iPhone 4s - Battery-gate

iPad 3 - Heat-gate?

Why not? All those people who get erections over the number of cores or how much memory their hardware has have to pay the price sometime, might as well blame Apple
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thermal imaging of a side-by-side comparison of the third-generation iPad and the iPad 2 found Apple's latest tablet running 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) hotter than its predecessor. ...

I find it kind of offensive that the story is from Belgium, and yet every tech blog in the world is taking the time to translate the story into fahrenheit when in fact no one in the entire world even uses fahrenheit except the USA and celcius has been the standard for thirty to forty years.

Most people alive today have never used fahrenheit or even know how to convert to it.

It's 5.3 degrees warmer, not 10.

Edit: I didn't realise that people were already arguing about this.

Apologies for fanning the flames, but this article started it by reporting the whole thing in fahrenheit.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

Why people are always trying to make things up when it comes to Apple?

The test with GLBenchmark is basically stressing the GPU so why a hell is it surprising that you measure higher temperatures for a GPU with two times the number of cores. A5 and A5X are both built in 45 nanometers so it's just physics that the A5X GPU runs hotter. What's surprising? It is of course designed to sustain higher temperatures and you make sound that the difference is higher by using Fahrenheits instead of Celsius (by the way why can't US just use SI units?). In Celsius it is a mere 5ºC difference. Again given the vastly more GPU resources in the A5X, those are completely predictable results.

Look here, the comparison between A4, A5 and A5X, the GPU inside the A5X is massive. This beast creates heat when you ask it to sing.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...-is-beautiful/

IMO this is the only sensible post on the whole thread and the only one worth reading (outside of the fascinating fahrenheit/celsius controversy.)
  • Reply 59 of 80
    [QUOTE=Sol77;2076763](Late edit...my rant isn't directed at the author of the previous post...I actually agree that Fahrenheit is quaint. But...)

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me?

It tells me that water become ice, while the 100 tells me that water become air, you know, that water is funny it also tell me that 1 cubic decimeter of water (10cm*10cm*10 cm) equal weight of 1 kg. Since we live on the planet 90% made of water this make sense to me.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find it kind of offensive that the story is from Belgium, and yet every tech blog in the world is taking the time to translate the story into fahrenheit when in fact no one in the entire world even uses fahrenheit except the USA and celcius has been the standard for thirty to forty years.

Most people alive today have never used fahrenheit or even know how to convert to it.

It's 5.3 degrees warmer, not 10.

Edit: I didn't realise that people were already arguing about this.

Apologies for fanning the flames, but this article started it by reporting the whole thing in fahrenheit.

Are these tech blogs based in the USA? ("every tech blog in the world")

No mystery at all. It is entirely correct for an "author" to use the local unit of measurement. AppleInsider = American website. Notice that there is no second level domain after appleinsider.com (e.g. appleinsider.com.au).

edit: Just for clarification: I truly believe the metric system is far more efficient, but confusing the reader (in this case many Americans) isn't.