Infrared test shows new iPad running 10 degrees hotter than iPad 2

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

(Late edit...my rant isn't directed at the author of the previous post...I actually agree that Fahrenheit is quaint. But...)

You use Celsius? Let me worship you like the temperature-knowing god that you are. I've met many..."non-Americans" who inexplicably take pride in the fact that they use Celsius. I understand that the entire world using the metric system is ideal for education and science, but...

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me? I've met Brits who quite literally look at their stupid smartphone to gauge temperature, and then suddenly wax intelligentsia about how superior Celsius is and how stupid Americans are for using Fahrenheit...as though using Celsius told them anything more than using Fahrenheit told me, and as though they had any choice in the matter what was taught to them when they grew up. Seriously, they look at their phones and feel smug about the fact that it says 25 instead of 77. ...No, you're right, this Obviously confers an enormous advantage and if I wasn't such a fat, stupid, lazy, litigious American, I'd have figured that out. If my phone had said 25 C, I'd have known to pick the white t-shirt and not the blue one.

Being pompous over something as ridiculous as a fixed scale is a sign of a lack of intelligence, not the opposite. When I begin my work as a climatologist or chemist I'll promptly convert to Celsius. Should take all of a few hours to adjust.

He was being funny, nothing that required the above babble, that being said metric rules.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    [QUOTE=dragan0405;2076854]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

...please tell me...for those of us who are not scientists (you know, ninety-nine percent of the world), what does 0 tell you that 32 doesn't tell me?

That is like asking what iOS will do that Android does not do.

IOW, it is beside the point. The point is NOT that one system packs extra information. The point is that one system makes more sense, all things considered.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

...when in fact no one in the entire world even uses fahrenheit except the USA and celcius has been the standard for thirty to forty years.

1) That's not true. More then US use Fahrenheit's scale. Not many more, but not just the US.

2) Fahrenheit's measure was standard long before the metrification of Europe.

3) There are other measures, too. One of my favourites is Kelvin but it has no use in every day life because it doesn't make sense to refer to the average temperature swing as being from about 260° to 305°.

PS: On the other thread we're discussing measuring visual acuity with a 20/20 scale.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    kit_ckit_c Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

10° is a big difference especially that it get so close to the upper limit of the parameter set by Apple. I fear playing graphics intensive games or even movie watching will cause the iPad to overheat and shut itself down.

The Apple spec is for ambient operating temperature, and the temperature being reported in this article is the case surface temperature. Apples and Oranges. Keep the ambient below 35°C/95°F and you will be fine. I'm sure Apple generates their spec values based on use cases that include graphics intensive games.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post

Keep the ambient below 35°C/95°F and you will be fine. I'm sure Apple generates their spec values based on use cases that include graphics intensive games.

There are more factors than ambient temp. If you use the iPad outside on a beautiful 83 degree day, it might well overheat in the sun, but not so fast in the shade.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    kit_ckit_c Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

There are more factors than ambient temp. If you use the iPad outside on a beautiful 83 degree day, it might well overheat in the sun, but not so fast in the shade.

Sure, though I'm guessing Apple considers this as a use case, as well. My point was that the temperature in the Apple spec is not the same as the temperature presented in the article, and the perceived lack of margin isn't as bad as it seems.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    The iPad gave my friend 3rd degree burns on his fingers and the back of the iPad is hot enough to fry eggs....Mike Daisey giving you the total truth with a smidgen of hyperbole and bombast.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iPhone 4s - Battery-gate

Excuse me- but Siri would beg to differ.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

The iPad gave my friend 3rd degree burns on his fingers and the back of the iPad is hot enough to fry eggs....Mike Daisey giving you the total truth with a smidgen of hyperbole and bombast.

Not to mention the new iPad is so hot it's responsible for Jason Russel's "meltdown",caused him to strip naked and maturbate in public.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

What's a Farhenheit? Somehow related to SF books maybe?

Signed: an European

I guess Celsius 233 could have worked, too.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

So it runs hotter and is heavier.

How is this a step forward?

good grief most people barely notice that it's a bit heavier. I'd say the trade-off between the very slight increase in weight and the retina display is absolutely worth it.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

good grief most people barely notice that it's a bit heavier. I'd say the trade-off between the very slight increase in weight and the retina display is absolutely worth it.

I love how pondosinatra doesn't acknowledge any other change to the device or how the iPhone has also increased thickness and weight, and possibly heat output, despite getting further and further ahead in the smartphone market.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I love how pondosinatra doesn't acknowledge any other change to the device or how the iPhone has also increased thickness and weight, and possibly heat output, despite getting further and further ahead in the smartphone market.

It's an imaginary scandal. Mine run cool all day.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Quote:

I love how pondosinatra doesn't acknowledge any other change to the device...

I love how you think I somehow should feel compelled to do so...

"That new vehicle you sold me gives me 3rd degree burns"

"Yes, but it comes with XM Radio....."

In any event, I'll probably end up grabbing an iPad 2 for cheap.....
  • Reply 75 of 80
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:

That bottom-left corner (bottom right in photo) definitely gets warm to the touch. The simple solution is to rotate the iPad 180 degrees.

I had exactly the same experience when I sat down to read a magazine in Zinio on the new iPad. After a half-hour I noticed it was getting pretty warm on one half, so I rotated it around and held onto the other half after that. I checked later and the first half was still warmer, so it wasn't just my hand heating the case.

I imagine that depending on the situation, this could be cosy, unnoticed or annoying. In every situation where I've used the iPad since then, I haven't noticed it.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I love how you think I somehow should feel compelled to do so...

"That new vehicle you sold me gives me 3rd degree burns"

"Yes, but it comes with XM Radio....."

Let's examine the hyperbole.
    What does it take to get a 3rd degree burn?
    • 100° F — N/A

• 113° F — 5 hours

• 116.6° F — 5 minutes

• 118.4° F — 20 minutes

• 120° F — 10 minutes

• 124° F — 4.2 minutes

• 131° F — 30 seconds

• 140° F — 5 seconds

Quote:

In any event, I'll probably end up grabbing an iPad 2 for cheap.....

A colouring book runs cooler and is lighter than an iPad 2 so you are better off with that.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:

A colouring book runs cooler and is lighter than an iPad 2 so you are better off with that.

Well that's just silly. I can't accomplish your tagline of being able to play games while taking a dump with a colouring book...
  • Reply 78 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Typical, again statement by people who have not clue what they are saying

Quote:

Though the new iPad does appear to run warmer than the iPad 2, it should be noted that the temperatures are still well within Apple's specified operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 35 Celsius).

Apples temp spec of 0 to 35C is the air ambient that the device is rate to operate normal in, in this case the ipad will operate in a 95F day if it is 100F out you better turn it offer. Also, there is another spec which is the surface temp can not be above 50C to the touch to avoid any sort of burning of the skin.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

1 Stone = 14 Pounds.

Yes, I was told that. What we Americans would think is funny though was that it was a barker at a carnival devoted to some guy who tried to kill the English government. That's not usually celebrated here.

...although, listening to many older (mature) people here, it might be celebrated if it happened here also! :o)

And they say it weird. I'm 8 Stone 2. They still put the Lbs. in at the end. I thought it was pretty cool though!

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's from yesterday, so I didn't think it would matter much...
  • Reply 80 of 80
    I'm new to Apple and i'm surprised how much people care about Apple products, analyzing everything.

I think it's kinda adorable

Greetings from a soon to be iPad(3) owner.