First wave of Windows 8 tablets rumored to arrive in October

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

On the heels of a report that Microsoft is aiming to release Windows 8 in September or October, a new rumor claims first-tier tablet vendors will launch their first Windows 8 devices in October.

Taiwan-based supply chain makers have indicated to DigiTimes that Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Lenovo, Acer and Asustek Computer are prepping x86-based tablets for an October release.

Meanwhile, sources said Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo, Acer and Asustek are planning ARM-based tablets for early 2013. Tipsters did hint that Nokia may be aiming to be the first to launch a Windows 8 ARM tablet with a possible November 2012 release.

"x86 platforms have the advantage of a complete supply chain, whereas ARM appeals by lower costs," the report noted sources as saying.

Earlier on Tuesday, Bloomberg reported that, according to sources with inside knowledge of the company's plans, Microsoft is aiming to finish work on Windows 8 this summer and launch the operating system around October before the start of the holiday season.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview. | Source: Microsoft

Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg told the publication that shipping before the holidays is critical for Microsoft.

“If they miss the September-October time frame, they’re going to be stuck without being able to ship anything in 2012,” he said. “The last thing Microsoft wants to have is a situation where there are no compelling Windows tablets at a time when the new iPad looks like it’s going to be a good seller for the holidays.”

Microsoft's addition of an ARM-compatible version of Windows is a bold move for the company. Intel and Microsoft maintained a symbiotic relationship for years with desktop PCs, but Intel has been largely left out of the rise of mobile computing for devices such as smartphones and tablets. One recent study has suggested that Apple will soon overtake Intel as the largest mobile processor maker as its ARM-based chips power numerous devices in its product lineup.

The Redmond, Wash., Windows maker first announced in January 2011 that it would port Windows to the ARM architecture. But, new ARM-based Windows 8 tablets will require new software when they arrive, as Microsoft has said that they won't run existing Windows apps.

In addition to rumors of upcoming Windows tablet releases, DigiTimes repeated on Tuesday a rumor from insiders that Apple could release another iPad in October to compete with Windows 8 tablets in the fourth quarter. It should be noted, however, that speculation of the release of a fourth-generation iPad this fall has been dismissed by more accurate sources as being "completely made-up nonsense."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Isn't this Windows 7 with a Metro shell?
  • Reply 2 of 78
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Not exactly. The Start SCREEN completely replaces the Start MENU.

I've been running the Consumer Preview as the primary OS on my PC and I have to say Microsoft is really on to something with these Live Tiles. The Mac OS looks ancient in comparison. It's nice to have your whole life laid out for you on one screen without having to actually launch any programs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple copies it in one form or the other when they finally release their replacement for the 30 year old desktop metaphor.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Windows 8 Tablets out by October, uh? In other news today Big Foot proposed to the Tooth Fairy.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Can't W8 for Windows 8. I've been using it on and off on my desktop and I really like it. Very fluid and fast and just like the whole minimalistic theme. I'm also glad to see an OS that has departed from having to imitate real life interactions and look of objects.

I think the eventually evolution for Windows will be Metro, provided consumers don't revolt. I find it possibly to be extremely productive entirely in Metro even on a desktop.

The other plus for tablets is multitasking two applications at once on the same screen, very useful.

My only debate is between ARM and x86. I think I will probably settle for Nokia ARM for the extended battery life.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    About 3 years too late.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I've been running the Consumer Preview as the primary OS on my PC and I have to say Microsoft is really on to something with these Live Tiles. The Mac OS looks ancient in comparison. It's nice to have your whole life laid out for you on one screen without having to actually launch any programs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple copies it in one form or the other when they finally release their replacement for the 30 year old desktop metaphor.

If you had been paying attention to Mac news, you'd have known that Apple is bringing the Mac more toward an iOS experience. However, it's not reasonable to hobble the Mac to be exactly like an iDevice.

Phones and Tablets need to be a simpler UI device for stand-up and moving use. I strongly feel Apple's move will allow easier use of a Mac by a iDevice user, without compromising the full advantage of what a desktop computer can do.

Microsoft is deluding itself into thinking that Windows can function as well on all devices. They will end up with something sub-par on everything. Furthermore, from what I read above, the late 2012 Window8 tablets will be running a power-sucking Intel x86 design. WTF are they thinking? It's not the 1900s any more. Nothing like hitting the market with a rushed OS on second-rate hardware... Windows could earn a bad rep that will stink them up for years.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:

With Metro... where is all the stuff that used to be on the Start Menu? Programs and such?

Old image... I know...

• Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:

In addition to rumors of upcoming Windows tablet releases, DigiTimes repeated on Tuesday a rumor from insiders that Apple could release another iPad in October to compete with Windows 8 tablets in the fourth quarter. It should be noted, however, that speculation of the release of a fourth-generation iPad this fall has been dismissed by more accurate sources as being "completely made-up nonsense."

Apple doesn't need to release new hardware to train-wreck the Windows product release.

(A) Apple could just temporarily drop the price of the new iPad by $100 for the holiday season and lower the iPad2 by the same amount. Even if Apple did not do this, the costs to make an x86 based tablet may make it more expensive to produce than the current new iPad.

(B) Apple could release a 6th generation of the iOS that does tricks no one expects it could. This essentially makes the current new iPad as good as a brand new iPad, disrupting any marketing noise Windows Tablets will be making.

(C) A combination of the above A & B.

Most people are already disposed to buy the iPad, just give them another reason to do so and Microsoft will have to hand out concert tickets to any one that darkens their company store doors.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:

In other words, it's Windows Vista with a Metro shell, and the number "8" tacked on the end.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Your whole life fits on a handful of colour tiles?

• Reply 11 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

With Metro... where is all the stuff that used to be on the Start Menu? Programs and such?

Old image... I know...

The main screen is your Metro Start screen. It contains all your live tiles and icons. You can group them into groups as well. Old apps will just contain the icon and name of the app. New Metro apps can control this tile to give relevant information such as unread email count or current weather information or latest news etc... But you start all apps from this start screen. And its the exact same number of clicks to start an app from the start screen or less. As all your apps are on one scrolling screen almost like Launchpad. You can still also pin icons to the taskbar for desktop mode.

• Reply 12 of 78
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In other words, it's Windows Vista with a Metro shell, and the number "8" tacked on the end.

Similar to 7, it reduces the basic system requirements compared to vista, which is an improvement which ever way it is spun. The main upgrade appears to be pushing a higher resolution requirement, which in the world of windows low res garbage, can only be an improvement.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

In addition to rumors of upcoming Windows tablet releases, DigiTimes repeated on Tuesday a rumor from insiders that Apple could release another iPad in October to compete with Windows 8 tablets in the fourth quarter.

Great. Only a fool would allow Microsoft and PC partners to go unchallenged as they make a frontal attack on the iPad and its market dominance. Especially in October 2012, just as Christmas shoppers start to buy.

Now, this will require Apple to be flexible and competitive to end its usual one size fits all, and only one model per year, since Apple is overstretched as it is. But the reward will be market dominance for years to come.

Make the iPad 4 a better tablet with the A6, a quad core CPU built with a smaller and cooler die, and an 8 MegaPixel back camera, and I'll buy one.

• Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

The main screen is your Metro Start screen. It contains all your live tiles and icons. You can group them into groups as well. Old apps will just contain the icon and name of the app. New Metro apps can control this tile to give relevant information such as unread email count or current weather information or latest news etc... But you start all apps from this start screen. And its the exact same number of clicks to start an app from the start screen or less. As all your apps are on one scrolling screen almost like Launchpad. You can still also pin icons to the taskbar for desktop mode.

Ok cool... just wondering. I have all my programs pinned to the Windows 7 Start Menu now... a lot of frequently used programs. Just curious what that would look like in Windows 8

I'm a desktop/mouse/keyboard guy. I plan to keep using all my existing desktop programs. I guess I don't see the appeal of Metro on my desktop machine... as I will be running regular Windows programs.

But I totally understand Metro for tablets.

Can I just launch into Windows 8 Desktop by default?

• Reply 15 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Great. Only a fool would allow Microsoft and PC partners to go unchallenged as they make a frontal attack on the iPad and its market dominance. Especially in October 2012, just as Christmas shoppers start to buy.

Now, this will require Apple to be flexible and competitive to end its usual one size fits all, and only one model per year, since Apple is overstretched as it is. But the reward will be market dominance for years to come.

Make the iPad 4 a better tablet with the A6, a quad core CPU built with a smaller and cooler die, and an 8 MegaPixel back camera, and I'll buy one.

I don't see that happening. Besides MS uphill battle or trying to get users on an unused OS UI (note that Apple had users on iOS on both the iPhone and iPod Touch before releasing the iPad) they will not have access to the HiDPI display and likely not have battery life or a general user experience that comes close to the iPad. Remember, apps for Metro will have to be rewritten for the interface and they simply don't exist yet.

I wouldn't expect an iPad 4 until about this time next year with an A6X chip which seems most likely to be a dual-core Cortex-A15-based processor and hopefully an Img Tech Series 6 'Rogue' GPU with 8 cores and being far less of a power hog.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    I am interested in seeing Windows 8 in all its incarnations.

Though, I think Android has most to fear from Windows 8.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Will they sell some?

Sure -- as collector's items & curiosities.

But Apple & Kindle Fire [horrible name, by the way] own the tablet space.*

Those are the massmarket items.

Haven't the last 2 years shown anybody anything?!?

Nobody wants an Android tablet -- Google's will fail miserably ....

Nobody wants to do Windows8 computing on the go -- on a desktop, sure, but not a tablet ....

But Mi¢ro$oft cleanses thier arse with $100 banknotes, plus they're bored, so this is what we get.
  • Reply 18 of 78

When Windows 8 was announced publicly, didn't MS salt about 50,000 Intel tablets and the software with developers?

How are these working out?

This should give us some feel for the readiness and usefulness of the package for October release.

• Reply 19 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Can't W8 for Windows 8. I've been using it on and off on my desktop and I really like it. Very fluid and fast and just like the whole minimalistic theme. I'm also glad to see an OS that has departed from having to imitate real life interactions and look of objects.

I think the eventually evolution for Windows will be Metro, provided consumers don't revolt. I find it possibly to be extremely productive entirely in Metro even on a desktop.

Really? Because I was under the impression that there weren't any actual productivity apps for Metro thus far. So that "being productive" on desktop Metro, at this point, would involve checking your email, surfing, looking at Twitter feeds or weather widgets or stock tickers, and the like. Or did MS skin a bunch of legacy apps to feel "Metro-ish"?

Quote:

The other plus for tablets is multitasking two applications at once on the same screen, very useful.

Can you drag and drop files between apps in Metro this way?

Quote:

My only debate is between ARM and x86. I think I will probably settle for Nokia ARM for the extended battery life.

Isn't that a fair bigger decision than just battery life, though? In that ARM devices won't run any legacy Windows apps?
  • Reply 20 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I dunno. If I had a nickel for every time started insisting that Apple "had to respond" to this or that as yet to be shipped tech, or some trend in the marketplace, you know? And they never do, and here we are.