Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad

24567

Comments

  • lkrupplkrupp Posts: 3,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    It's ridiculous. Doesn't surprise me at all that sites like Engadget or Gizmodo look for anything possible to trash Apple. But I don't expect to see it on sites like AI. Especially for things that clearly are not widespread.



    AI needs clicks too in order to keep the ad money rolling in. Anything with a negative connotation generates lots of clicks. It's human nature. We are voyeurs who love to watch others suffer and fail, especially the world's most valuable company. I mean who wants to watch continued success?
  • rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post


    Here we go again. I'm going to complain about the retina display causing me to be sleepy all the time because I stay up late playing with my iPad. If I fall asleep driving, I'm gonna file a class action lawsuit. Apple is evil!



    It can't be the retina display. I am affected by the same symptoms. Sometimes when I wake up at work I happen to have suspicious key patterns on my forehead. The thing is, I am still on my iPad 2.

    But maybe I can join your class action lawsuit anyway.
  • magicfingersmagicfingers Posts: 703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    AI needs clicks too in order to keep the ad money rolling in. Anything with a negative connotation generates lots of clicks. It's human nature. We are voyeurs who love to watch others suffer and fail, especially the world's most valuable company. I mean who wants to watch continued success?



    I am certain that I am not a voyeur. You can call it for yourself if you want, but I wouldn't let your neighbors or employer know about it. Or do they already?
  • psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 451member
    So here we are again. The obligatory faux crises are back. Let's see we have overheated-battery-gate and now wifi gate.



    Still trying to knock the wind out of Appe's sales. And as before, nothing will.



    For the record, I have had mine since Sunday and have had zero problems other than that it has taken a lot of my time. Certainly more so than the iPad2. By the way love the voice dictation now. Have dictated this entire message. Too cool!
  • davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post


    Anyone notice that the scaling for old apps is also far superior to the scaling in the iPad 2?



    From what I can gatherit is now scaling using the retina version of the iPhone app if it is available, iPad (1) and iPad 2 used the standard resolution version for scaling.



    I've never quite understood why it couldn't do this on previous models as surely doubling the non retina version gives you the same effect - I suppose this would have forced you into running the iPhone app at 2x, but seriously, who ever runs them at 1x anyway - they look like a spec in a sea of blackness!
  • d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    'New Apple product launch playbook'



    1) New product is announced, complies with all the sane/realistic rumors going around about it for the past 6 months, does not comply with any of the crazy/unrealstic ones

    2) Tech forums full of people complaining the upgrade is not worth it, and Apple is not innovating, despite rave reviews by everyone who has actually seen/used the product themselves

    3) All kinds of supposed design/hardware/usability/product safety/performance issues appear on the same tech websites as mentioned in 2)

    4) A shitstorm breaks loose on teh intarwebs, everyone starts repeating the same unverified/unquantified 'problems' they read somewhere else. A huge outrage of people who demand Apple to 'acknowledge the problem' and 'fix it', which usually means they have to give away free stuff or replace/repair with an added sweetener

    5) Millions and millions of said product are being sold in the exact form it was launched, yet a small minority of people who often doesn't even own or ever used the product keep pointing out the huge flaws in it, on every possible occasion

    6) A year later Apple reports record sales, record profits, record customer satisfaction, and everybody is hyped up about the next revision of the product.



    It has been the same thing each and every time. The iPhone 3G had a battery could explode, the 3GS was overheating and the case could crack, the 4 had a bad antenna, the 4S had battery rundown issues, the iPad 1 had WiFi issues, the iPad 2 had yellow spots on the screen, the iPad 3 runs to hot and has WiFi reception issues, the MacBook Air had SSD failures and slow SSD speeds, the iMac 27" had yellow tinted displays and flickering, and so on, and so forth.



    In the end, the only problem that turned out to be a real, widespread problem caused by production problems, was with the first generation 27" iMacs, many of which actually had bad panels (mine was perfect by the way, I still use it to 110% satisfaction, especially with the SSD I put in last week), but you could get them replaced at no cost, Apple even arranged the pick-up for you. I know from people who have an iPhone 4S that there were in fact problems with battery life, but most of them were gone with iOS 5.0.2, and all of them were solved with 5.1.



    It's amazing how Apple can post record after record, including in customer satisfaction and customer retention, while all their products are so full of flaws /s
  • icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,217member
    Total articles written on the internet will likely exceed the total number of users having issues. How about iHater-gate??
  • sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post


    Guys,

    I have never had a Ipad b4 , planning to Get the New Ipad when it arrives in my country ...

    Must i leave this new Ipad ?

    May be ppl who have already purchased this know better



    Yes.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post


    Anyone notice that the scaling for old apps is also far superior to the scaling in the iPad 2?



    Just noticed it the other day when someone in another forum pointed it out.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post


    From what I can gather the it is now scaling using the retina version of the iPhone app if it is available, iPad (1) and iPad 2 used the standard resolution version for scaling.



    I've never quite understood why it couldn't do this on previous models as surely doubling the non retina version gives you the same effect - I suppose this would have forced you into running the iPhone app at 2x, but seriously, who ever runs them at 1x anyway - they look like a spec in a sea of blackness!



    Indeed, it's displaying iPhone Retina on iPad exactly at native pixels at 1x and exactly doubled for 2x. Obviously Apple held back on it until the new iPad, for the usual Apple-y reasons.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    'New Apple product launch playbook'



    1) New product is announced, complies with all the sane/realistic rumors going around about it for the past 6 months, does not comply with any of the crazy/unrealstic ones

    2) Tech forums full of people complaining the upgrade is not worth it, and Apple is not innovating, despite rave reviews by everyone who has actually seen/used the product themselves

    3) All kinds of supposed design/hardware/usability/product safety/performance issues appear on the same tech websites as mentioned in 2)

    4) A shitstorm breaks loose on teh intarwebs, everyone starts repeating the same unverified/unquantified 'problems' they read somewhere else. A huge outrage of people who demand Apple to 'acknowledge the problem' and 'fix it', which usually means they have to give away free stuff or replace/repair with an added sweetener

    5) Millions and millions of said product are being sold in the exact form it was launched, yet a small minority of people who often doesn't even own or ever used the product keep pointing out the huge flaws in it, on every possible occasion

    6) A year later Apple reports record sales, record profits, record customer satisfaction, and everybody is hyped up about the next revision of the product.



    You left one out:

    7) Calls for a class action suit. Settlement to avoid legal fees. Customers get a coupon for $0.15 and lawyers get $10,000,000 bonus.
  • ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    iOS 5.1 wi-fi performance has taken a nosedive for me. Using an Airport Extreme Base Station with the latest firmware shows download speeds around 4-5 down (compared to the usual mid-20s). Up hasn't changed. My parents have one as well, using the previous firmware, with no issues. Speeds are very good. A reboot of my router temporarily fixes this issue.



    The betas of 5.1 didn't exhibit this issue. Maybe it's a combination of 5.1 and the firmware for the AEBS. I can't speak for other router companies.
  • gcom006gcom006 Posts: 73member
    That's funny. I swear that mine actually has better WiFi reception. I'm picking up my WiFi far away from my house outdoors. My iPad 2 and iPhone 4 never manage to pull that off. Full fans in house everywhere as well, including one spot in the back that always manages to send my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to 1-2 bars. And I'm using a centrally placed mid-2011 Time Capsule.
  • starbirdstarbird Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post


    Here we go again. I'm going to complain about the retina display causing me to be sleepy all the time because I stay up late playing with my iPad. If I fall asleep driving, I'm gonna file a class action lawsuit. Apple is evil!



    Nice!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I'm waiting for the 'screen is too shiny' next ....







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post


    I actually found my WiFi on the 3rd gen far superior to my iPad 1



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    I've had zero problems. Never less than 3 bars. But I don't use my iPad near my router. Not sure why that would matter though.



    Same here. Maybe I am the only one, but the only time I ever look at wifi or cell bars is when I have a problem. I have yet to notice any issues at all. It is actually the fastest device in my house of Macs, iPod touches, iPhones.



    And the battery is AMAZING.



    Got it at 8:06 AM Friday Morning, was only plugged into the iMac for the hour it took to get the apps all set the way I wanted, etc. Used it a lot Friday. Charged Friday night. Used quite a bit Saturday, charged Saturday night. then that still "new toy" use Sunday, and decided that it was time to start breaking the battery in. It was at 67% Sunday night, 33% Monday night, and finally hit zero last night. Amazing. Granted, not playing super graphic intensive apps, but using it a lot. Love it.
  • tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    'New Apple product launch playbook'



    1) New product is announced, complies with all the sane/realistic rumors going around about it for the past 6 months, does not comply with any of the crazy/unrealstic ones

    2) Tech forums full of people complaining the upgrade is not worth it, and Apple is not innovating, despite rave reviews by everyone who has actually seen/used the product themselves

    3) All kinds of supposed design/hardware/usability/product safety/performance issues appear on the same tech websites as mentioned in 2)

    4) A shitstorm breaks loose on teh intarwebs, everyone starts repeating the same unverified/unquantified 'problems' they read somewhere else. A huge outrage of people who demand Apple to 'acknowledge the problem' and 'fix it', which usually means they have to give away free stuff or replace/repair with an added sweetener

    5) Millions and millions of said product are being sold in the exact form it was launched, yet a small minority of people who often doesn't even own or ever used the product keep pointing out the huge flaws in it, on every possible occasion

    6) A year later Apple reports record sales, record profits, record customer satisfaction, and everybody is hyped up about the next revision of the product.



    It has been the same thing each and every time. The iPhone 3G had a battery could explode, the 3GS was overheating and the case could crack, the 4 had a bad antenna, the 4S had battery rundown issues, the iPad 1 had WiFi issues, the iPad 2 had yellow spots on the screen, the iPad 3 runs to hot and has WiFi reception issues, the MacBook Air had SSD failures and slow SSD speeds, the iMac 27" had yellow tinted displays and flickering, and so on, and so forth. <snip>

    :



    You left out

    4.5 Majority of posters on AI deny there is any problem at all.

    4.6 Any poster on AI who says it is a problem is called a troll.
  • cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post


    I actually found my WiFi on the 3rd gen far superior to my iPad 1



    Myself as well. Wifi reception on my new iPad is drastically better than anything I got on my original 1st generation iPad.
  • misamisa Posts: 637member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    iOS 5.1 wi-fi performance has taken a nosedive for me. Using an Airport Extreme Base Station with the latest firmware shows download speeds around 4-5 down (compared to the usual mid-20s). Up hasn't changed. My parents have one as well, using the previous firmware, with no issues. Speeds are very good. A reboot of my router temporarily fixes this issue.



    The betas of 5.1 didn't exhibit this issue. Maybe it's a combination of 5.1 and the firmware for the AEBS. I can't speak for other router companies.



    The Apple Time Capsule was having a spaz with a laptop so I turned the wifi off and used the cable modem's wireless-n instead. I'm not sure why, but the TC has also had issues with the Xbox360. Almost like the MTU was being cut in half.



    Anyway, I did some speedtest.net tests with the new iPad and the PC, and found maybe a 20% bandwidth reduction compared to the wired desktop. But there's also at least 10 other Access points nearby. But the blips in the speedtest.net servers were consistent, indicating maybe behavior of the DOCSIS3 cable modem.



    My LTE Sim card should arrive sometime today, I'll test again then.
  • simonmtlsimonmtl Posts: 40member
    Wifi: Never dropped at all, at home or at work. Full strong signal, yet I am upstairs and the router is in the cement basement.

    Heat: Yes, I felt a corner being warm when playing games yet I thought it was normal. Not a big deal. Actually cools down within seconds as soon as you turn off the app.

    Battery: I use airplay a lot while playing games, and it does drain the battery. I'm sure the same can be said for the iPad 2.
  • isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Hold it another way.
  • vagvobavagvoba Posts: 16member
    My new iPad's wifi reception is exceptionally good.

    While I sync it over wifi with my computer it usually uses 1-2MBytePS higher bandwidth than my iPhone 4S. That can only happen if it gets better wifi signal.
  • jackmohackjackmohack Posts: 21member
    Not seeing an issue with WiFi on the new iPad, first one so I can't judge it against previous models. It will take me anywhere in my house with no problems at all. I've tested the signal agains my Galaxy Tab 8.9 and it's just as strong if not stronger.
  • rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post


    Total articles written on the internet will likely exceed the total number of users having issues. How about iHater-gate??



    Go on to any one of these techie sites and there's probably one pro Apple comment to 100 anti Apple. And whoever posted the pro Apple comment is labeled an fanboy, sheeple, etc. Engadget's story on Jony Ive's interview with the London Evening Standard garnered 1,900+ replies, with probably 90-95% anti Apple. It's ok to be a fandroid but if you like Apple you're fundamentally evil.
Sign In or Register to comment.