A Dual Screen MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If you had a choice would you rather buy a MacBook that had a touchscreen instead of a tactile keyboard (dual screen) or would you prefer to buy the MacBook as it is configured today (single screen)?

I've been wondering why Apple hasn't brought out a dual screen laptop. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Nope. They haven't done it because the idea is silly.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbgoro View Post

Any thoughts?

You have to keep looking up and down between what your fingers are doing and whats going on on the display. It doesn't make a lot of sense. There's also the issue of accidental touches. Then there are things like battery life. Learning curve. Focusing on the iPad instead (which integrates the keyboard INTO the screen and is ahead of this idea). The list of cons outweighs the list of pros by a long shot.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

You have to keep looking up and down between what your fingers are doing and whats going on on the display.

I can touch-type on my iPad, so it's not impossible. It's just a bad idea.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can touch-type on my iPad, so it's not impossible. It's just a bad idea.

I'm not sure you'd be able to touch type on a dual screen laptop for very long. Everyone would lose original orientation at some point.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I would like to see it maybe in the trackpad. Then we could have different types of control surfaces appear there for things like editing, colour correcting, audio levels etc...

Oh wait, that is all pro stuff.

I'm sure it would work for Angry Birds too
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post

I would like to see it maybe in the trackpad. Then we could have different types of control surfaces appear there for things like editing, colour correcting, audio levels etc...

Now that would be interesting... and useful. But as a replacement for the keyboard, I'm afraid that I can't see a practical reason, outside of the "gee whiz" factor.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbgoro View Post

If you had a choice would you rather buy a MacBook that had a touchscreen instead of a tactile keyboard (dual screen) or would you prefer to buy the MacBook as it is configured today (single screen)?

I've been wondering why Apple hasn't brought out a dual screen laptop. Any thoughts?

I have had a similar idea for Phones. Many people prefer hard slide out keyboard. Instead for hard keyboard: I wanted another screen.

The problem with Laptop/Phone dual screen is many. Battery and that the price for the screen. The screen and the touch components are the most expensive components on Ipad/Iphone. The cost for Apple would be 200 dollars and battery hit about 50%.

--

Tim have clearly said what he believes is the future of computing. The traditional laptops will die and tablets will rule. For people who wants keyboards: there are great keyboard cases for tablets.