Obama: "Solyndra was not our program"

Posted:
in PoliticalOutsider edited January 2014
and says "this wasn't our program."

This is perhaps one of the most bald-faced lies I've ever seen. Obama first places blame on--who else--anyone but himself. He blames Congress, the Chinese, etc. He then launches into what is a defense of him using taxpayer dollars to play venture capitalist.

Disgusting.

Comments

• floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Yea let's ignore the politically motivated loan and lose of tax payer money and blame others. Little chance we'll get our money back from GM and Chrysler too.
  • brbr Posts: 8,313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is perhaps one of the most bald-faced lies I've ever seen. Obama first places blame on--who else--anyone but himself. He blames Congress, the Chinese, etc. He then launches into what is a defense of him using taxpayer dollars to play venture capitalist.

Disgusting.

OUTRAGE CLOUDING ABILITY TO LOOK OBJECTIVELY AT SITUATION ALERT!

Are you really telling me that Solyndra existed in a vacuum? That Solyndra was unaffected by global market prices and international investments in the same field? That China, pouring money into their alternative energy programs, deflating the cost of solar cells, had no effect?

I'm sorry that facts have no place in your narrative about our President. I wish they did. This country's discourse would be a lot better if one of the major parties didn't consistently try to live in an alternate reality.
  • sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,332member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

OUTRAGE CLOUDING ABILITY TO LOOK OBJECTIVELY AT SITUATION ALERT!

Yes...I figured your unmitigated rage would cause you to scream a personal attack.

Quote:

Are you really telling me that Solyndra existed in a vacuum?

No. I am saying the Obama administration cannot pretend that they thought it did when the loan was offered.

Quote:

That Solyndra was unaffected by global market prices and international investments in the same field? That China, pouring money into their alternative energy programs, deflating the cost of solar cells, had no effect?

No, am I saying the administration knew about these variables when making the loan and pursued it anyway despite Solyndra's high likelihood of failure. They did so out of blind ideology and short-term political gain.

Quote:

I'm sorry that facts have no place in your narrative about our President. I wish they did. This country's discourse would be a lot better if one of the major parties didn't consistently try to live in an alternate reality.

What delicious irony. Obama is now claiming he's not responsible for the Solyndra program. He's claiming there is no way they could have known what would happen. But, we know this is false. There were multiple warnings about Solyndra's viability. Seems to me someone is living in an alternate reality alright...it's Barack Obama.

And let's get back to Obama's refusal to even own up to the program. He actually tries to blame Congress for his venture capitalist ways:

Quote:

"But understand, this was not our program per se.

Congress–Democrats and Republicans–put together a loan guarantee program because they understood historically that when you get new industries–"

Interesting how in your knee-jerk Obama defense you didn't even address this point.
    The reality that's there is bad enough. Politically motivated loan that the private sector took a pass on and internal documents showed was warned against ends up losing a half billion in tax payer money so Obama could do a dance in the endzone.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

The reality that's there is bad enough. Politically motivated loan that the private sector took a pass on and internal documents showed was warned against ends up losing a half billion in tax payer money so Obama could do a dance in the endzone.

Yup. The problem is he dropped the ball, and started screaming at the officials that he was held.
    Wait..it gets better! Now Obama is claiming that he's supported "enough pipeline to encircle the Earth and then some."

But wait...there's still more!

Quote:

Appearing before a backdrop of oil pipelines in Cushing, Obama said he was making construction a priority through an executive order issued Thursday that instructs federal agencies to expedite their review of the southern portion of the pipeline.

?Today, I?m directing my administration to cut through the red tape, break through the bureaucratic hurdles and make the project a priority,? said Obama, who earlier this year rejected a GOP bid to force construction on the full pipeline, which would stretch from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.

This man has crossed over from major spin and Hope and Change, to bald-faced, finger-giving LYING. He's done everything possible to put his boot on the throats of the oil industry, and now he's out there claiming he's a supporter of increased production. He's done everything possible to explode the debt and the deficits, but it's Congress's fault and he wants deficit reduction. How this guy can have a 41% approval rating is beyond me. I take it there are a lot of people out there who like their "Obama Bucks."
  • marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Disgusting.

Naturally it is all politics involved and Obama wants himself to look honest and trustworthy for the coming 2012 election.It's not his money but the taxpayers who lost on this deal of his.he cares less!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Naturally it is all politics involved and Obama wants himself to look honest and trustworthy for the coming 2012 election.It's not his money but the taxpayers who lost on this deal of his.he cares less!

Exxxxcellent. Now, explain to me why Mitt Romney won't be a better President than Obama.

<makes popcorn>

and get nothing we want
  • sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Regardless of whatever shenanigans went on with Solyndra, it's like a delinquent parking ticket compared to the great energy rip off in California in 2000/2001... when the people of California were robbed of $billions by the likes of Enron etc... or Halliburton's $7 billion no-bid contract corporate welfare scam in Iraq to reconstruct infrastructure bombed by the military... and numerous other corporate crimes, scams, and ripoffs.... and thats not even starting on the Great Bankster Heist of 2008, or the Pentagon's still missing $2.3 TRILLION conveniently announced by Rumsfeld in the Senate on 9/10/2001.

The Solyndra cost to tax payers involves a shade over $0.5 billion in loan guarantees... that's pocket change... enough to fund just ONE of two illegal wars for a DAY AND A HALF to put this in perspective.

Solyndra became an issue with the rightwing because it involves renewable energy. The rightwing have a Tourettes' Syndrome twitch about alternative energy - a dysfunctional antagonism towards what they call "hippy tech" (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal etc). Solyndra's demise therefore attracted conservatives like yellow-jackets around a jam jar. However, they know that renewables are the way to go, and even Koch etc have taken advantage.

They just don't like to let their base know.
  • northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,459member
    Remember how those assholes ripped off california and were giddy that they were burning grandma! And remember when Bush did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so he could protect his chorines in Texas?

Yeah, I remember that too.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Remember how those assholes ripped off california and were giddy that they were burning grandma! And remember when Bush did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so he could protect his chorines in Texas?

• sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Chorines? Don't you mean "cronies"...

.... or are "chorines" a particularly variety of crony, characterized by the emission of copious toxic fumes?
  • tontontonton Posts: 14,064member
    No one in this thread has demonstrated how solyndra was Obama's program.

The loan guarantee process was proposed under the bush administration.

The approval process began during the Bush administration, though it was delayed.

Obama oversaw approval of the previous administration's program, and took a very routine photo-op.

Yet the idea that it's not Obama's program is 'a bald faced lie'?

That, my friends, is a bald faced lie.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Whatever 'it was X's program' means...who cares? The key point is here:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Obama oversaw approval of the previous administration's program, and took a very routine photo-op.

Quote:

The approval process began during the Bush administration, though it was delayed.

Quote:

I'm going to guess you haven't been reading the news reports about this. The Friday document dumps have been amusing.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,342member
    Obama is toast. Obama is the most irresponsible and dishonest President ever. I don't think that most Americans will make the grave error of voting for him once again.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Obama is toast. Obama is the most irresponsible and dishonest President ever. I don't think that most Americans will make the grave error of voting for him once again.

It's amazing how he has a 45% approval rating, or better. It's amazing that he leads in several swing states at present. This contrasts with virtually all of the anecdotal evidence I see out there. Of all the friends and acquaintances I have (with various political viewpoints) spoken to in the last year, I don't think I know of one that is enthusiastic or even happy about voting for Obama. The liberals I know simply wax on about what idiots the Republicans are, how they hate women, etc.