iTunes, iCloud error currently obstructing some content downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Apple confirmed on Thursday an ongoing error with iTunes in the Cloud where some users are unable to download or stream content.

TheNextWeb's Matthew Panzarino Apple Support to discuss a "this item cannot be downloaded on this network" error message that he and other users had been receiving on the Apple TV. the message directs users to do either "connect to a Wi-Fi network or download it" on their computers.

The company's support representative indicated that the issue appeared to have begun around 3:30 Pacific time, roughly the same time as when Panzarino encountered it.

"The support person said that the problem, as far as they know, has to do with the iTunes cloud or its servers and that there was currently no ETA for a fix," the report read.

An Apple Support Community thread on the issue has generated and over a thousand views.

Credit:

"I just spoke with Apple Support, they are currently having a problem, they don't know what is causing it," wrote user 'bdb0311'. "It seems to be on all platforms and the problem only occurs when your try to download anything over 15mb. They do not have a ETA yet for when this problems gets resolve."

Apple's iCloud Support page currently lists all services as online with a timestamp of March 16, 2012 15:54 PDT.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    This should be fun-

1.) RIM

2.) Verizon LTE

....both slammed here at AI - let see how the fanbois defend this.

It's just growing pains - right?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

This should be fun-

1.) RIM

2.) Verizon LTE

Mmmmmm, smells like troll!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Mmmmmm, smells like troll!

Smells like bad troll. Probably spoiled.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

This should be fun-

1.) RIM

2.) Verizon LTE

Stop being a douche. If you have a problem with this Apple centric board and its followers, go someplace else.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    .me email has been intermittent since the new iPad launch too, e..g every few hours will stop responding for 10 minutes and Apple Mail will start asking for password over and over. Perhaps all these millions of new buyers are opting in to the free iCloud account.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Possibly related, starting this afternoon, I can't get iCloud email on my wifi iPad. "Cannot get mail the connection to the server failed." Same thing on my iPhone. In order to get iCloud mail on my iPhone, I have to turn off wifi, and turn on Cellular Data.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Re: the last bit of the article

iCloud and iTunes in the cloud are actually not the same thing, which is why the iCloud page said all systems were fine
  • Reply 8 of 23
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

.me email has been intermittent since the new iPad launch too, e..g every few hours will stop responding for 10 minutes and Apple Mail will start asking for password over and over. Perhaps all these millions of new buyers are opting in to the free iCloud account.

Yup, iCloud mail is a bit wonky at the moment.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Im downloading apps just fine. No problems or errors on my iPod touch.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Stop being a douche. If you have a problem with this Apple centric board and its followers, go someplace else.

Just keeping' em honest like Anderson Cooper.

I come here for Apple news not Fanaticism.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

I can understand that. But you must understand that there are quite a few Apple fans (short for "fanatic") on an Apple-centric forum. Goes with the territory. And long-time Apple fans (I count myself in this number) suffered through the Dark Ages (the 90's when Jobs was gone from Apple) and the abuse from all quarters, so we're not too keen to continue getting abused.

All that being said, I myself haven't knocked RIM or Verizon for outages, and I expect Apple will fix whatever their problem is within a reasonable time. When dealing with servers, you have to expect problems from time to time.

Cheers.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

This should be fun-

1.) RIM

2.) Verizon LTE

Comparing a relatively new service that has encountered a non-critical issue for hours with RIM's service that was down for days across multiple continents? If that doesn't deserve to be 'slammed' then I don't know what does.

Your 'fanboi' comment is also quite derogatory and makes it quite obvious that you are not just here for the 'Apple news'.

Will you also be mentioning the Gmail fiasco of 2008?

Or Microsoft's numerous Hotmail outages?

Let's see how you defend singling out a single company when every major I.T. company in history has suffered this exact same issue at some point or another.

Dumbass.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And in Android news, occurring right as we speak:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/upd...e_skin;content
  • Reply 14 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And in Android news, occurring right as we speak:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/upd...e_skin;content

Gmail seems to be working fine as Exchange on my iPhone, the spam keeps rolling in, no matter how many dodgy sites I register that email address at, it's never come anywhere near the limit.

It's interesting digging back through them a history of spam and the methods used.

I haven't noticed any issues with iCloud.

I might go check my Galaxy Nexus, that strobe effect looked pretty cool.

Edit:-

Checked the Nexus, seems to be fine, maybe it's a US based thing.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    A little off topic but what's this about?

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/03/app...versal-remote/
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dantronic View Post

Possibly related, starting this afternoon, I can't get iCloud email on my wifi iPad. "Cannot get mail the connection to the server failed." Same thing on my iPhone. In order to get iCloud mail on my iPhone, I have to turn off wifi, and turn on Cellular Data.

mail was working fine for me (@mac) - the thing that seemed to be an issue was Messages beta on the iMac. It could receive them, but replies would get the red ! and not send, though the same ID could send from the iPad.

It coincided with launch times in other parts of the world, so just have to assume that there was a ton of traffic, and it all worked itself out by 10 PM EST.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    uplateuplate Posts: 42member
    i failed to restore from iCloud backup for several hours Thursday night... thought my phone was the issue but this seems to make sense now.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Your 'fanboi' comment is also quite derogatory and makes it quite obvious that you are not just here for the 'Apple news'.

Meh - if your going to respond directly to obvious trollers, can you guys at least not quote their entire comment so that those of us who are trying to make good use of the ignore feature can do so more effectively?

Even on the iPad, trimming a quote only takes a few extra seconds - its downright trivial with a mouse.

As for iSheldon and his ilk - why bother trying to have a rational discussion with 'em? It's quite obvious he has no intention of being reasonable so what are you exactly hoping to accomplish? If you really want to point out how lame his kind are, the best way to handle them is to not respond directly to them like you did - that attention is what they crave. Why reward them with what they want? Instead if you must address them, do so indirectly like I am with you.

Trolls are like the entity in Star Trek that fed on anger - instead of laughing them off the ship you starve 'em out of the forum by not paying direct attention to 'em.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplate View Post

i failed to restore from iCloud backup for several hours Thursday night... thought my phone was the issue but this seems to make sense now.

Hmm, interesting negative for iCloud backups. I think we are so used to the Internet and Internet based services being up.. I think I'll do a local backup from time to time just to be safe...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Anderson Cooper repeatedly lies about his identity and his past experience as a tool of US intelligence. "Honest" is the last word I would ever use to describe him. Ever.

Try again.