Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 81 of 181
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Read my post. The screen size is feature phone size, obviously the phone itself is not a feature phone.

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.

How is an OS demolishing a device? If you are going to compare OSes then why exclude iOS for iPad and iPod Touch. You're clearly including all Android activations so why be so disingenuous with your calculations. Bottom line: Apple is selling the most smartphones of any model on the market.
  • Reply 82 of 181
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apples in for a surprise if the next IPhone only had a 3.5 inch screen. Sales will be hurt big time as many people will choose to keep their Iphone4 or 3s and not upgrade

And it is no big surprise, that you will be again completely wrong about that matter. Only a fraction of a percent is interrested in a bigger screen. More people would even prefere a smaller iPhone. The overwhelming majority just loves the 3.5" display as you can easily see in every tech stat. So please give us a break and buy your galaxy something and be happy. No need that Apple is following this path.
  • Reply 83 of 181
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

Ok, let's bookmark this post and reveal it when Apple does it, I feel it would be much sooner than forever.
  • Reply 84 of 181
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    If Apple really were to keep the 3.5 inch screen that would make my decision making process easy. I would just keep my iPhone 3GS for ANOTHER year. I really thing a 4 inch screen in needed at this point. I used a Samsung Focus with a 4 inch screen and really enjoyed the larger display.

I guess Apple (if true) will just keep on trucking the way always does without listening to its customer base at all.
  • Reply 85 of 181
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

I've got that now. thing called the "iPad".
  • Reply 86 of 181
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    http://www.strategyanalytics.com/def...viewer&a0=7194

Existing smartphone owners in the US and UK seek larger mobile phone displays, compared to displays on their current phone. The Strategy Analytics Wireless Device Lab report, “Smartphone Owners Want Thin Devices with Larger Displays,” found that surveyed smartphone respondents prefer device screens in the 4.0-inch to 4.5-inch range, as long as the device is also thin.

“In order for smartphone owners to adopt larger devices, it is important for handset manufacturers to ensure that mobile devices are not too heavy and that the devices remain thin enough for purses and pockets.”

Some differences in size preference exist dependent on the segment. Females are more likely to consider slightly smaller devices than males. Existing Android owners are more likely to seek larger devices than existing Apple iPhone owners.

“Almost 90 percent of existing smartphone owners surveyed chose a prototype smartphone with a display larger than their current device,” commented Paul Brown, a Director in the Strategy Analytics User Experience Practice. “This trend is driven by increased mobile web browsing capability, as well as engaging video and gaming experiences.”

Kevin Nolan, Vice-President for the User Experience Practice at Strategy Analytics, added, “In order for smartphone owners to adopt larger devices, it is important for handset manufacturers to ensure that mobile devices are not too heavy and that the devices remain thin enough for purses and pockets.”

I think 90% is a pretty strong number. I would certainly be one of those. I can't imagine anyone preferring a 3.5" iPhone over one with a 4" to 4.3" screen if the phone itself is not that much larger. Remember that 3.5" was HUGE when the iPhone was released since most other phones only had about a 2.7" screen. It is time for Apple to get with the times and at least compromise with a 4" screen at a minimum.
  • Reply 87 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

... I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but I don't want the form size to change. ... My friends that had (Android phones) have either got rid of them or complained ... that it was too big to hold. It was nice to use with 2 hands, but for phone calls, it got uncomfortable to hold. If anything, they should do an edge to edge screen - in the same form factor.

This is actually likely (the same form factor with an edge to edge screen), but it's also very likely that they will keep the screen the same size as they've had ample opportunities to change it and they haven't yet.

In other words, if the next iPhone has an edge to edge screen, it's more likely that they will take advantage of that to make the phone smaller instead of larger. By my calculations, the iPhone could easily be a quarter inch smaller in width as well as height and still keep the exact same screen, if it were edge to edge instead of how it is now.

Consumers are fools for the most part anyway. When it comes down to it, they buy what they are told to buy and like what they are told to like. You just can't tell them straight out because then they will buy or like the opposite out of sheer contrariness.

Thus, advertising. \

People like big phones now simply because they have been marketed to them as the 'next big thing' (pun intended.)

If Apple defies all the critics and actually comes out with a *smaller* iPhone next time, everyone will go on about how cool it is and within a year or so Samsung will start to come out with smaller phones as well.
  • Reply 88 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If Apple really were to keep the 3.5 inch screen that would make my decision making process easy. I would just keep my iPhone 3GS for ANOTHER year. I really thing a 4 inch screen in needed at this point. I used a Samsung Focus with a 4 inch screen and really enjoyed the larger display.

I guess Apple (if true) will just keep on trucking the way always does without listening to its customer base at all.

Apple may not listen to you, but they listen to where the money flows. And any sales statistic shows, that they are spot on. If people need a bigger screen on a mobile device, they use the iPad. An iPhone with a > 4" screen will not arrive until the humen species mutates to a >20% bigger and taller size.
  • Reply 89 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If Apple defies all the critics and actually comes out with a *smaller* iPhone next time, everyone will go on about how cool it is and within a year or so Samsung will start to come out with smaller phones as well.

This I can see coming. It wasn't all to long, when all the pre smartphones became smaller and smaller.

Well I hope the iPhone never get's significantly smaller than the actual 3.5" display. Just saying.
  • Reply 90 of 181
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    I predict Apple to add only an extra 0.2 of an inch to the screen.

Shifting from a 3:2 ratio to a 16:10 with the same width would give a 1024x640 resolution, and add exactly a centimetre to the height of the screen.

It would be really easy to implement software changes, would be a good standard for manufacture, and would leave space for camera/speaker, home button on the front.

But would it be enough?
  • Reply 91 of 181
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    To get a 4-inch screen at 16:10, for example, they'd have to make space 8mm top and bottom, 2mm each side (I think?). This could be edge-to-edge on a slightly smaller iPhone.

The screen, to minimise developer impact to height, would presumably be at 302ppi.

Hmmm....
  • Reply 92 of 181
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Keep the phone the exact same dimensions (L and W) as they are perfect. Make the phone thinner, but not a teardrop design as it is too hard to hold onto (I feel like I will drop my iPod touch all the time). Then, extend the screen to the edges of the phone, reducing the unused space to maximize screen area.

And make it gorilla glass (not aluminum)
  • Reply 93 of 181
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Apple may not listen to you, but they listen to where the money flows. And any sales statistic shows, that they are spot on. If people need a bigger screen on a mobile device, they use the iPad. An iPhone with a > 4" screen will not arrive until the humen species mutates to a >20% bigger and taller size.

The potential buyers say they want a larger iPhone display, the stated opinion of over 86% of respondents to the 9to5 poll on what size screen they would prefer on the next iPhone.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/poll-w...bigger-screen/
  • Reply 94 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The potential buyers say they want a larger iPhone display, the stated opinion of over 86% of respondents to the 9to5 poll on what size screen they would prefer on the next iPhone.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/poll-w...bigger-screen/

That is a lot of votes for a larger iPhone. I hope Apple is listening. Whatever they produce will sell very well, but when only 13% are happy with 3.5" it might be time to go larger.

• Reply 95 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I know Apple is stubborn and doesn't like to be seen to please the crowd, but I really can't believe they won't give the next iPhone a modern screen size.

You mean "trendy screen size."

If Apple was all about following trends, they'd be selling crap like 7" Android tablets and 5" smartphones and every size in beween. And plastic netbooks at rock bottom prices.
  • Reply 96 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You mean "trendy screen size."

If Apple was all about following trends, they'd be selling crap like 7" Android tablets and 5" smartphones and every size in beween. And plastic netbooks at rock bottom prices.

No he means what he said. I have an iPhone and am not happy with the screen size. Look at the poll above, only 13% agree with you. Just because we buy the current iPhone doesn't mean most of us wouldn't be happier with a larger sized screen. It baffles me that anyone would be against a larger screen if the phone itself would be about the same size.
  • Reply 97 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Look at the poll above, only 13% agree with you.

To be fair, 9to5 isn't exactly a source of Apple fans. And you'd only get a slightly more accurate result doing the same poll here.

Which is why Apple doesn't do any outside polling. People don't know what they want until you show it to them.
  • Reply 98 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To be fair, 9to5 isn't exactly a source of Apple fans. And you'd only get a slightly more accurate result doing the same poll here.

Which is why Apple doesn't do any outside polling. People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

9to5mac.com is not a source of Apple fans? Since when. The whole site is dedicated to Apple news. In any case, I would assume Apple is trying to sell the iPhone to all consumers and not just Apple fans so all votes are valid. Over 65,000 votes in a few hours is pretty impressive. That is more votes than in many states in the Republican primary. Other recent surveys have shown very similar results. Apple can choose to ignore those results and often do and I am sure another 3.5" iPhone would sell well, but I am pretty sure a lot of them will simply settle with a tinge of regret. I did with the 4S but won't again. Either a 4" or larger iPhone or back to Android.
  • Reply 99 of 181
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

Ha!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I wonder what will be in ios 6 more then the next iphone, i wouldnt mind a slightly bigger 3.7 screen and aluminum back like the ipad, but im in no rush to get rid of my 4s

I feel certain it's mostly a set of fairly vocal nerds who give the impression on forums that there's this vast hunger for "Phablets" out there in the real world. Otherwise people would be standing in line to buy Samsung's version of them..... ...I mean it's certainly a real niche market, but not the sweet spot by any means.

Not that real evolution including new mutant species will quit happening in the iOS world, but not to the next main model this year. (I don't utterly rule out an expansion of the line, but will be mildly surprised. The iPhone 4 at $0-49 and 4S at $99 should hold the fort for another year.)

My vote's for 3.7-3.8 in 2012 - same pixels - narrower but not non-existent bezel - and so bits of a millimeter added here and there to accommodate new radios, more battery and maybe upgraded cam optics - and to give just a nod to the "bigger screen/better" crowd - but mainly sold by a fresh sheet Johnny Ive do-over and pleasant surprises in iOS 6.

Not sure if it'll get the A5X, bigger, hungrier and the iPhone already runs retina graphics. Maybe a new (A6-ish?) CPU on a smaller die process??

Still and all, Apple's got every mainstream display size from 9.7 to 27" well enough covered and it seems unlikely the world's largest and best funded company will forever eschew playing in any size and form factor from 3.5 to 9.7" forever. That's a lot of niches to cede.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.

From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!

How about a simple answer to this question: Couldn't Apple have - or couldn't an aftermarket company - offer a higher capacity charger to keep the charge time at last year's rate - without undue wear and tear on the battery?

You'd think they would've preserved the vaunted quality of the "user experience" in this area if they could have easily. Or is it just another of those maintain the $499 entry level AND maintain the margins things?

However if technically feasible, the only downside I can see would be few extra ounces on the charger (and the sad fact Apple DOESN'T offer it, so a whole new charger to buy, with the only consolation that a spare charger for an iDevice can come in handy - as I know from experience.)
  • Reply 100 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

9to5mac.com is not a source of Apple fans? Since when.

Since the actual Apple fans that read and comment there perpetually get downvoted 1. for ever questioning Apple ever for any reason AND 2. for not wanting Apple's devices to turn into Android devices, no matter how idiotic and impossible the story claiming new features is.

Quote:

Either a 4" or larger iPhone or back to Android.

Better start picking one out, then.