Army rolls out proprietary app marketplace

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mightymike View Post

Without the military we'd all be speaking German and their likely would be no Apple. A good deal for Apple and the military is a win-win situation for America.

As if Nazi Germany ever wanted or had the means to invade the Americas and occupy the whole world, of course...people should read more instead of repeating the same myths over and over again.

But as someone else already mentioned, you should actually be thanking Stalin and speaking Russian by now - without them German would definitely be Europe's official language today.

Oops, de facto it already is anyway...hail Frau Merkel!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

As if Nazi Germany ever wanted or had the means to invade the Americas and occupy the whole world, of course...people should read more instead of repeating the same myths over and over again.

But as someone else already mentioned, you should actually be thanking Stalin and speaking Russian by now - without them German would definitely be Europe's official language today.

Oops, de facto it already is anyway...hail Frau Merkel!

It is very difficult to play 'what if' games with history. No one knows what would have happened. Read Stephen King's latest book (11/22/63) for a fictional account - which actually probably isn't far from the truth.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's legal to make employees pay for enterprise apps, it breaks no apple rules, although very few do so I would imagine. Market place is a valid terminology.

Perhaps the App Commissary.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That's the problem. Perhaps you should contact someone in the Enterprise Group working on the iOS deployments in the US Military before make an informed comment.

I think he was picking up on the only 'web based so far' part, as in not seemingly actual iOS apps and referred to that as 'using it like a Kindle'. To be honest that was my first reaction the article, good news at first but if they are only so far using web apps, which I understand to be simply modified Safari interfaces to a preset web page, it seems they could do more, i.e. create custom apps. I may too be miss reading this article since everyone else jumped on Macky the Macky.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It is very difficult to play 'what if' games with history. No one knows what would have happened. Read Stephen King's latest book (11/22/63) for a fictional account - which actually probably isn't far from the truth.

Off topic ...

Oh thanks for tip, I love those 'what if' History books and didn't know Stephen King had written one, must have missed that somehow. I loved reading Ausi writer Birmingham's trilogy recently.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Makes you wonder what they are planning with that last app.

Chinese Mandarin Civil Affairs Phrasebook ??
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At present, the marketplace only offers web-based iOS apps, though Android support is expected in the near future.

After looking more closely at that screen shot, all but one of those apps says they are for Android. The top one says Mobile Web and none mention iOS at all.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    BLUF - Bottom-line upfront. This is old news, there are Android apps available also, and the apps suck by iOS developer standards. Too bad. And also too bad is the fact that this is all AI could apparently find to post as "news".

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It sounds like the army is using the iOS device like a Kindle reader. WTF?

As one of the Army's developers, I can address some of this. There are indeed several groups throughout the country that are developing apps, each with different focuses. Some are indeed simply looking at putting manuals in digital form, that is little more than an interactive ePub - with the purpose of saving a whole lot of money in printing costs and also turning a 10 pound manual that a soldier would need to lug around into a phone app.

There are other groups, though, like mine - that are focusing on higher end stuff. Things like 3D trainers for how to properly clean a weapon, or how to properly clear a building without endangering fellow soldiers or hostages, or how to properly zero a weapon. We're also working at creating apps that eliminate the use of paper forms and centralize things like soldier records and weapon/vehicle maintenance in a system that is accessible via a phone.

In the end, the whole goal of this is three-fold: save money on printing costs, save 10-15 minutes in every soldier's day by making things more efficient, and make training something that can happen anywhere and perhaps even be fun and engaging in the process.

On another note - this market place will eventually be a joint-Android/Apple marketplace, they just focused on the Apple end first.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Apple is letting the army have it's own app store. However, any country the U.S. invades will have a government put in place where only Apple products are to be used and 30% of the GDP will be sent to Apple.

• Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barryllium View Post

As one of the Army's developers, I can address some of this. There are indeed several groups throughout the country that are developing apps, each with different focuses. Some are indeed simply looking at putting manuals in digital form, that is little more than an interactive ePub - with the purpose of saving a whole lot of money in printing costs and also turning a 10 pound manual that a soldier would need to lug around into a phone app.

There are other groups, though, like mine - that are focusing on higher end stuff. Things like 3D trainers for how to properly clean a weapon, or how to properly clear a building without endangering fellow soldiers or hostages, or how to properly zero a weapon. We're also working at creating apps that eliminate the use of paper forms and centralize things like soldier records and weapon/vehicle maintenance in a system that is accessible via a phone.

In the end, the whole goal of this is three-fold: save money on printing costs, save 10-15 minutes in every soldier's day by making things more efficient, and make training something that can happen anywhere and perhaps even be fun and engaging in the process.

On another note - this market place will eventually be a joint-Android/Apple marketplace, they just focused on the Apple end first.

Nice. Sounds like a terrific project. Good luck with making it happen.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Aren't those all listed as Android?
  • Reply 33 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

That would be the Marines that lead the way. The army gets the new toys but the Marines go in first and get things done.

The Navy is a taxi service then.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Aren't those all listed as Android?

It would probably easier to create an Android Marketplace with native apps as Google doesn't have restrictions against such things. The US Army has already chosen Android as their platform of choice for tablets and phones in the field. The Apple app site is probably for people who have personal iPhones.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It would probably easier to create an Android Marketplace with native apps as Google doesn't have restrictions against such things. The US Army has already chosen Android as their platform of choice for tablets and phones. The Apple app site is probably for people who have personal iPhones.

Read the thread

1) there are no restrictions, it's an enterprise distribution

2) it's for iOS first
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Read the thread

1) there are no restrictions, it's an enterprise distribution

2) it's for iOS first

Yes I have, and the apps are HTML based not compiled which must be downloaded threw Apple. I was just saying that Google doesn't have such restrictions for compiled apps. A private firm can have there own app store, with prior approval probably. I'm sure Apple would allow the military to have their own marketplace if and when it's needed but as of right now the Army has been choosing Android as their chosen platform for a lot of their projects, mostly do to MITRE making the decision. I'm sure will see Apple and Microsoft phones being used as well but defiantly not in the field. It's most likely going to be an Android device as Apple doesn't make MIL spec phones or tablets. Nor do they allow other company's to make MIL spec devices based on iOS.

That would be cool though, I would love to get my hands on a iPad that has a MIL rating. I've always had a thing for ruggedized machines. I had a Toughbook 18 a few years back but I gave it to a friend when she volunteered for Doctors Without Borders as a nurse and she didn't bring it back.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

That would be the Marines that lead the way. The army gets the new toys but the Marines go in first and get things done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Navy is a taxi service then.

You'll gotta know that there will be a SeaBee on the beach directing the Navy where to dump the Marines.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

You'll gotta know that there will be a SeaBee on the beach directing the Navy where to dump the Marines.

SeaBee, construction workers of the military. Need a airport built in a day, call the SeaBees, need a dozen latrines built by sunset, call the SeaBees.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:

Which branch gets the best toys? The Air Force gets to play with space toys and stealth bombers, the Navy has those really cool submarines and Dolphins, The Army has big tanks and those really neat MRAP trucks, The Marines have Harrier's and Cobra's, Coast Guard has Dolphin helicopters and new high tech Cutters, so who has the best toys?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You just had to make a political statement and turn this thread into a pile of crap, didn't you. And then Slither Slather starts in with his "I'm smarter and more sophisticated than you" putdowns. Sheesh.

It was a very successful troll. Looks like I caught over my limit