Army rolls out proprietary app marketplace

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barryllium View Post

As one of the Army's developers, I can address some of this. There are indeed several groups throughout the country that are developing apps, each with different focuses. Some are indeed simply looking at putting manuals in digital form, that is little more than an interactive ePub - with the purpose of saving a whole lot of money in printing costs and also turning a 10 pound manual that a soldier would need to lug around into a phone app.

There are other groups, though, like mine - that are focusing on higher end stuff. Things like 3D trainers for how to properly clean a weapon, or how to properly clear a building without endangering fellow soldiers or hostages, or how to properly zero a weapon. We're also working at creating apps that eliminate the use of paper forms and centralize things like soldier records and weapon/vehicle maintenance in a system that is accessible via a phone.

In the end, the whole goal of this is three-fold: save money on printing costs, save 10-15 minutes in every soldier's day by making things more efficient, and make training something that can happen anywhere and perhaps even be fun and engaging in the process.

On another note - this market place will eventually be a joint-Android/Apple marketplace, they just focused on the Apple end first.

Sounds brilliant! Hope you put together something great.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Which branch gets the best toys? The Air Force gets to play with space toys and stealth bombers, the Navy has those really cool submarines and Dolphins, The Army has big tanks and those really neat MRAP trucks, The Marines have Harrier's and Cobra's, Coast Guard has Dolphin helicopters and new high tech Cutters, so who has the best toys?

I think you subconsciously listed them in the correct order...
  • Reply 43 of 48
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    no one can blame them for wasting taxpayers $$ on icon design...
  • Reply 44 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I think you subconsciously listed them in the correct order...

Huuuh, I guess you right, hehehe.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

That's wicked, but funny....

+5

For web apps Apple get nothing.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You'll gotta know that there will be a SeaBee on the beach directing the Navy where to dump the Marines.

As a one time SeaBee I can say the best part of it all is they'll be doing it with equipment that was "acquired" from the Army.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes I have, and the apps are HTML based not compiled which must be downloaded threw Apple. I was just saying that Google doesn't have such restrictions for compiled apps. A private firm can have there own app store, with prior approval probably.

Er, go read Apple's iOS corporate pages - companies can create and distribute their own apps internally without relying on iTunes or Apple's blessing

Quote:

I'm sure Apple would allow the military to have their own marketplace if and when it's needed

Your right - because any business can do it today! But hey, I realize that's no where near as fun as "Apple is mean and controlling"

Quote:

but as of right now the Army has been choosing Android as their chosen platform for a lot of their projects, mostly do to MITRE making the decision.

I'm sure there will be plenty of iOS and Android devices. Windows Phone? Perhaps some...

Quote:

That would be cool though, I would love to get my hands on a iPad that has a MIL rating.

We have resellers that are Apple-authorized to open iPhones and iPads, do things like embed RFID tracking, re-assemble and maintain the Apple warranty. I'm sure there is at least one - if not multiple - vendors working on modifying iPhones or iPads to be ruggedized - especially with the growing interest in iOS devices.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We have resellers that are Apple-authorized to open iPhones and iPads, do things like embed RFID tracking, re-assemble and maintain the Apple warranty. I'm sure there is at least one - if not multiple - vendors working on modifying iPhones or iPads to be ruggedized - especially with the growing interest in iOS devices.

Oh cool, I want one then. Would you happen to have a name of a company who makes such modifications.

I still wish that company that used to make tablets from Macbooks was still around. I would love to have Macbook Air tablet. I have already modified my Macbook Air's screen for touch but I would love it more if it was a convertable like my Lenovo x220.